The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Game Of Thrones: To the point of the TV show, no spoilers beyond that

Mr.Noodles

3 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

Just ordered HBO.

Need the real deal for this final season

Looking forward to everything else that comes with that order. Includes Crave. Liking the looks of the Crave library, in particular Boardwalk Empire and True Detective.

Boardwalk Empire is awesome. Watched the series when it first came out, and then binge-watched the whole thing a couple of years ago.

Stephen Graham's portrayal of Al Capone is fantastic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Shift-4 said:

Just ordered HBO.

Looking forward to everything else that comes with that order. Includes Crave. Liking the looks of the Crave library, in particular Boardwalk Empire and True Detective.

season 1 of True Detective is really fantastic. Season 3 is quite good too. Season 2 is meh, but it helps if you like Rachel McAdams :P

If you haven't got into The Wire yet then you're in for a real treat there too. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Boardwalk Empire is awesome. Watched the series when it first came out, and then binge-watched the whole thing a couple of years ago.

11 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

season 1 of True Detective is really fantastic. Season 3 is quite good too. Season 2 is meh, but it helps if you like Rachel McAdams :P

If you haven't got into The Wire yet then you're in for a real treat there too. 

I better not buy chips and Nibs.............otherwise I might get fat over the next few months  lol

4 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I've been meaning to watch it again...along with Treme. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Shift-4 said:

Just ordered HBO.

Also make Deadwood a priority! 

• Like 1

On 3/28/2019 at 12:31 PM, RUPERTKBD said:

Boardwalk is probably top 3 TV show all time for me. It's pretty damn fabulous start to finish.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Boardwalk is probably top 3 TV show all time for me. It's pretty damn fabulous start to finish.

Gnarcore mentioned Treme, which I also loved, but kind of flies under the radar for most people. If you like Jazz even a little bit, you'll love Treme, even though by no means is that all the series is about. It's basically the story of New Orleans' recovery after Katrina.

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Gnarcore mentioned Treme, which I also loved, but kind of flies under the radar for most people. If you like Jazz even a little bit, you'll love Treme, even though by no means is that all the series is about. It's basically the story of New Orleans' recovery after Katrina.

Never even heard of it and just watched the trailer. Looks GREAT, thanks ;)

• Cheers 1

50 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I found out about a slew of NO musicians from that show that I have since seen. Being a huge funk fan it also covers a ton of that. Great show. 

1 hour ago, Gnarcore said:

I found out about a slew of NO musicians from that show that I have since seen. Being a huge funk fan it also covers a ton of that. Great show. 

I thought it was pretty cool that Steve Earle was a recurring character on the show as well.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, The Beagle had landed said:

Is The Wire still on Crave?

Yes.  All the old HBO shows are still. Another good one to watch is Show Me a Hero. It is also from David Simon (The Wire, Treme, Generation Kill) and directed by Paul Haggis. Also..Generation Kill....soooooo good :)

18 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

Yes.  All the old HBO shows are still. Another good one to watch is Show Me a Hero. It is also from David Simon (The Wire, Treme, Generation Kill) and directed by Paul Haggis. Also..Generation Kill....soooooo good :)

Like ROME, kinda got the shaft.  Too bad there wasn't more.

8 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

Like ROME, kinda got the shaft.  Too bad there wasn't more.

Well it was only ever meant to be what it was...an 8 part mini series.  Deadwood and Carnival got the Rome treatment ;)

• 2 weeks later...

For those who follow the series and the books closely, this will be a theory you've heard before. It's something for the more casual fan to think about, especially if you're not familiar with ASOIAF:

We've all heard Melisandre go on about "The Prince that was promised", also know as "Azor Ahai", but not everyone knows the history behind the story. (some would call legend) In fact, if you don't follow the books, Azor Ahai would probably mean little to you, if anything.

In a nutshell, Azor Ahai was a hero in the past who was chosen to fight the darkness. (one would assume that this was the previous "long night", when the WW rose to try and eliminate mankind)

The legend has that he had to forge a Hero's Sword, and labored 30 days and nights to make it. But when he went to temper the blade in water, it shattered. Undaunted he labored 50 days and nights to make an even better sword. Instead of water, he tried the temper the blade in the heart of a lion, but that one shattered as well.

Finally, he worked for 100 days and nights and with heavy heart, tempered the blade in the heart of his lover, Nissa Nissa. (we're not told how he came to know that this was the only way to temper the sword. Just that he "knew") It was said that the soul of Nissa Nissa combined with the steel, creating the Hero's Sword, Lightbringer. When Azor Ahai stabbed a monster with the blade, legend has it that it burst into flames. This flaming sword is mentioned in a prophecy, often quoted by Red Priests and Priestesses:

There will come a day after a long summer when the stars bleed and the cold breath of darkness falls heavy on the world. In this dread hour a warrior shall draw from the fire a burning sword. And that sword shall be Lightbringer, the Red Sword of Heroes, and he who clasps it shall be Azor Ahai come again, and the darkness shall flee before him.

This prophecy brings to mind a few intriguing possibilities. We already know that the ending to the series is going to be "bittersweet". WIll Jon Snow (who is really Aegon Targaryen) draw a burning sword from the heart of his lover? (and his aunt) In the books and the series, it is noted that the word "Prince" could also be "Princess". So does Dany pull the flaming sword from Jon's heart? We know there are two dragons who still breathe fire, so there should be plenty of that around.

Anyway, it should be fun. One more sleep!

Edited by RUPERTKBD

On 3/28/2019 at 1:44 PM, Shift-4 said:

I better not buy chips and Nibs.............otherwise I might get fat over the next few months  lol

Just tell people you decided to get into shape, and remind them that round is a shape.:ph34r:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

This prophecy brings to mind a few intriguing possibilities. We already know that the ending to the series is going to be "bittersweet". WIll Jon Snow (who is really Aegon Targaryen) draw a burning sword from the heart of his lover? (and his aunt) In the books and the series, it is noted that the word "Prince" could also be "Princess". So does Dany pull the flaming sword from Jon's heart? We know there are two dragons who still breathe fire, so there should be plenty of that around.

Anyway, it should be fun. One more sleep!

I don't recall that in the books and thought was just in the show. Could be wrong.