The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tennis

-DLC-

On 6/19/2016 at 9:24 AM, ShakyWalton said:

Well Deb...it started pretty good then Milos crashed and burned as he usually does with top rated players...this guy really needs to beat a top ranked player..until he does he is the proverbial runnerup.

Although he did have the audacity to beat some of the top players before. :bigblush:

He just needs to work on Joker now. 

Edited by Monteeun

26 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

That was one gutsy comeback for Milos.

It's the kind of comeback that makes for champions. Not that it was a complete nail biter or anything, just that the best do show the fortitude to come back from down 2-0. His composure gave me a really good feeling.

I do hope he can follow through with all this. Would love to see him against Federer in the semis.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, ShakyWalton said:

That was one gutsy comeback for Milos.

Typical Canadian media....

Both SNET and TSN are wall to wall Durant, while Milos takes a back seat, as does Brook Henderson, who at the age of 18 just won her third title and became the first LPGA player to defend the Cambia Portland Classic since Annika did it 13 years ago.<_<

• Upvote 2

Milos looked so uninspired the first 2 sets. I figured he was cooked. Goffin was playing his A game and hitting the lines like a machine. 

Very good comeback for Raonic. Must be a huge confidence builder. Hope he keeps it going.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

Milos looked so uninspired the first 2 sets. I figured he was cooked. Goffin was playing his A game and hitting the lines like a machine. 

Very good comeback for Raonic. Must be a huge confidence builder. Hope he keeps it going.

He's got the giant killer, Sam Querrey up next. Hopefully beating Joker was Querrey's championship....

On 7/4/2016 at 10:41 AM, RUPERTKBD said:

Typical Canadian media....

Both SNET and TSN are wall to wall Durant, while Milos takes a back seat, as does Brook Henderson, who at the age of 18 just won her third title and became the first LPGA player to defend the Cambia Portland Classic since Annika did it 13 years ago.<_<

Yeah, the Brooke Henderson story is a real mystery, so much, that the media doesn't report a thing about her, other than she won a golf tourney. The sad part of the whole story is, that she's an Ontario girl. I was briefly listening to 1040 last night just before 11pm, and they had the ESPN feed on, 8 of the 10 callers were talking basketball, and not all of them Durant. Women in sport, not named Serena, have a long way to go.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

Yeah, the Brooke Henderson story is a real mystery, so much, that the media doesn't report a thing about her, other than she won a golf tourney. The sad part of the whole story is, that she's an Ontario girl. I was briefly listening to 1040 last night just before 11pm, and they had the ESPN feed on, 8 of the 10 callers were talking basketball, and not all of them Durant. Women in sport, not named Serena, have a long way to go.

I can kind of understand the US media focusing on Durant. After all, it wasn't a major tournament and the top three spots on the LPGA are occupied by a New Zealander, a Canadian and (of course) a Korean.

However, for Milos and Brooke to take a backseat to an American basketball player in Canada, in the off-season, is an absolute joke and the Canadian media deserves to be criticized for it.

10 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Milos through to the semis, after beating Querrey in four sets. Next up: Federer.

Federer is going to be tough. He seems to be able to handle Raonic's serve quite well.

95% of the crowd is going to be pro Federer. Hoping he wins one more.

Raonic can win but he's going to need his A+ game.

9 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

Federer is going to be tough. He seems to be able to handle Raonic's serve quite well.

95% of the crowd is going to be pro Federer. Hoping he wins one more.

Raonic can win but he's going to need his A+ game.

I was a bit worried about Raonic's game after coming back from being down 0-2 against Goffin, but he had an easier time of it against Querrey. Now Roger is the one coming off the emotional comeback.

If he can put together a match like he did against Querrey, (or the final three against Goffin) he's got a legitimate shot.

Honestly this match is a win-win. Fed is an awesome guy and probably the best of all time and deserves another wimbledon crown. On the flip Raonic in a major final would be awesome to and would help grow the game in Canada.

1 minute ago, ReggieBush said:

Honestly this match is a win-win. Fed is an awesome guy and probably the best of all time and deserves another wimbledon crown. On the flip Raonic in a major final would be awesome to and would help grow the game in Canada.

It's almost a foregone conclusion that Murray will advance on the other side of the draw, so there's really little down side with whomever wins.

OTOH, the Ladies' side looks to be another win for Serena, but luckily we won't be subjected to an "all-Williams" final, and Angerlique Kerber knocked Venus out in the semis. Definitely be cheering for Kerber in the final.

holy crap holy crap holy crap. It's actually happening. 

Milos just serving it out.

Edit: Wow. Milos Raonic has come so so far. From being more or less a 1-dimensional player to what he is now. Showed 0 nerves near the end to close it out. 

Edited by ckamo

1 minute ago, nuckin_futz said:

Great effort by Raonic. Into the finals.

Go Berdych.

:lol:

The way Milos has played in this tournament, I'd give him a good shot against Murray as well. The addition of McEnroe to his coaching staff was a masterstroke, IMO. It's obvious to me that Milos' mental game is far better than in seasons past. (A couple of years ago, he wouldn't have been able to come back like he did against Goffin, or even down a set to Federer)

Win or lose, Milos has done a great job, just getting as far as he has.

Certainly doesn't hurt that Joker is out, though...^_^

• Upvote 1