The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jordan Schroeder Talk

carlweezer

Stick him on the wing with Booth & Kesler and this will no longer be a problem. Booth has a magnet that pulls him to the net more often than any other player on this team and Kesler is so good along the boards that the only time he'll need help is for give-and-goes which is just a perfect scenario for Schroeder, imo.

I agree wholeheartedly. plus he'd be an amazing setup man for them.

I don't know why jordan thinks he can/should be the net front presence though... got boxed out/manhandled all night. a player of his stature needs to find the empty spaces, not sit in front causing a minor disturbance at best. also, on a couple break ins he looked very promising and i was excited to see him take the play to the net, but instead he stopped or turned around on the half wall and the play stagnated even though he had some guys going to the net or a partial lane that he might be able to exploit. I would have liked to at least see a shot/rebound, or a pass in that situation, not just a stop and set up. Raymond and Weiss are not what I'd call "set up in the o-zone" players...

I think it's the system we employ. We don't necessarily have a go-to set-up man once we enter the zone. Rather, AV expects all three forwards to be able to cycle to primarily set up a point shot or, if the opportunity arises, set up a scoring chance in close (something the Sedins can, but most other lines are not capable of, on a regular basis).

AV plays a very demanding system where he expects all forwards to be skilled enough to cycle and be strong enough to be a presence in front of the net. As you probably noticed, most of our scoring chances come from shots from the point - tip ins, screened shots, rebound goals or taking advantage of defensive chaos ensuing a point shot.

So we have to have a net presence at any given moment, for the puck could be sent to the point at any time during the cycle. Also, the two cyclers usually alternate with the net presence from as the shift wears on. For example, I saw Jordan on the cycle a few times and also in front of the net. I also saw shifts from the 1st line where Henrik was in front of the net and Kassian made the pass to the point for the shot.

I think it's a good system because we don't rely on one guy to be doing one thing and one thing only out there - all three get involved and can switch into being a playmaker, or net presence. Obviously there are preferences (ie, Sedin on cycle, Kassian on net), and as Schroeder gets more comfortable, he will probably get to cycle more along the boards than be the net presence when his line sets up.

With Vancouver's system, though, we will definitely be seeing Schroeder in front of the net from time to time.

Sounds like he loves the game.

And that's why he is going to make it, he has alot of character, he has battled the hight issue his entire career and has always overcome it, he works very hard, is willing to do whatever it takes and won't complain.

Just so excited that he is finally starting to show some of the potential he has.

I think it's the system we employ. We don't necessarily have a go-to set-up man once we enter the zone. Rather, AV expects all three forwards to be able to cycle to primarily set up a point shot or, if the opportunity arises, set up a scoring chance in close (something the Sedins can, but most other lines are not capable of, on a regular basis).

AV plays a very demanding system where he expects all forwards to be skilled enough to cycle and be strong enough to be a presence in front of the net. As you probably noticed, most of our scoring chances come from shots from the point - tip ins, screened shots, rebound goals or taking advantage of defensive chaos ensuing a point shot.

So we have to have a net presence at any given moment, for the puck could be sent to the point at any time during the cycle. Also, the two cyclers usually alternate with the net presence from as the shift wears on. For example, I saw Jordan on the cycle a few times and also in front of the net. I also saw shifts from the 1st line where Henrik was in front of the net and Kassian made the pass to the point for the shot.

I think it's a good system because we don't rely on one guy to be doing one thing and one thing only out there - all three get involved and can switch into being a playmaker, or net presence. Obviously there are preferences (ie, Sedin on cycle, Kassian on net), and as Schroeder gets more comfortable, he will probably get to cycle more along the boards than be the net presence when his line sets up.

With Vancouver's system, though, we will definitely be seeing Schroeder in front of the net from time to time.

i just feel our system shouldn't be universal against all lines. different lines should have different systems, or jordan should switch to the wing.

the problem is Jordon has trouble on the wing as reported before.......but maybe he can learned this again as he is perfect for Kesler and Booth who are both shooter.......he seems the best option as the passer........hopefully can teach him to play wing because he has the speed to do it, something Hodgson lacked

Jordan looked great in his first game...with one BIG exception. That offensive-zone penalty he took in the first was one of the worst penalties I have ever seen.

I'm glad AV didn't bench him after that, because he was solid from that point on.

Jordan looked great in his first game...with one BIG exception. That offensive-zone penalty he took in the first was one of the worst penalties I have ever seen.

I'm glad AV didn't bench him after that, because he was solid from that point on.

that was absolutly hilarious lol

Ya that pass was SAUCY! Him and Raymond have some real chemistry. I'm also really happy with how Schroeder has been on the second unit, he makes some clean crisp passes, keeps the puck moving. I hope he gets his confidence up to start taking some shots.

EDIT: I know it's not the thread, but how about that Cannata - stopping 32 out of 33 shots tonight, to get the win for the Wolves.

Ya that pass was SAUCY! Him and Raymond have some real chemistry. I'm also really happy with how Schroeder has been on the second unit, he makes some clean crisp passes, keeps the puck moving. I hope he gets his confidence up to start taking some shots.

EDIT: I know it's not the thread, but how about that Cannata - stopping 32 out of 33 shots tonight, to get the win for the Wolves.

another solid game from schroeds very pleased with his game so far that is for sure nothing too flashy so far keeping it simple.

- cannata is doing great its kind of funny when he came up arniel didnt even want to play him, played climie a ridiculous amount of games in a row. Now cannata showing arniel he can be trusted and counted upon.

If Schroeder continues to do well with the Canucks and Andersson continues to be a horse on defense for the Wolves, that 2009 draft might just turn out to be a dandy. It sounds like Canucks management is higher on Connauton than people here are too. Gillis said that with the cap decreasing next season there will be a much greater emphasis put on youth. I would not be surprised in the least to see Ballard dealt or bought out and Connauton tried on the bottom pairing with Tanev, as that pairing was solid in the AHL.

Man, Schroeder's pass was a beauty. Congrats to him on a 1st NHL point.

Makes me wonder about him playing with big Booth and Kesler on a line, if he looks a bit more comfortable in the NHL when they are back. I mean, right now he's playing with Raymond and is making room for himself, imagine two bigger/stronger guys and if he can dish passes like that off the right wing as well as cycle like he has, esp. on the PP, maybe it could work.

But that means that Burr would have to stay as a C on the 3rd line most likely...

Booth - Kesler - Schroeder

Higgins - Burrows - Hansen

Volpatti/Weise - Malhotra - Lapierre

But so far, Burr has looked alright there.

Schroeder was our best face-off man tonight. AV already trusts him to take D-zone face-offs.

But what impresses me even more is how solid he is on his skates.

The last two games I've seen a lot bigger men just bounce off of him while attempting to hit him.

I see both of those facets of Schroeder's game as an instant improvement over Cody Hodgson.

I like

D Sedin - H Sedin - Kassian

Booth - Kesler - Burrows

Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen

Higgins - Malhotra - Lapierre

Volpatti

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Garrison - Edler

Ballard - Tanev

Alberts, Barker

Schneider

Luongo

It's too bad we have to put Volpatti in the press box - he is such a physical force out there. Depending on who's struggling on the wing, (Booth, Higgins, Raymond), we may drop them to add Volpatti's physicality from time to time.

A lot of people writing off Manny because he hasn't looked the same since his injury - the man still is winning faceoffs at above 70% right now. He is our only left-handed center that takes draws on the PK. Invaluable defensively and on faceoffs. He will not be taken out of the lineup IMO.

Archived