The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jordan Schroeder Talk

carlweezer

explain?

ok so LTI space works on a basic level like this:

you dont gain LTI space or relief unless you EXCEED the salary cap (this year 70.2million) therefore in order to take advantage of Kesler and Booths injury on opening day the canucks would like to be as CLOSE to 70.2 million as possible. So they will pick contracts that will add as closely to 70.2 million as possible.

math model: team salary of 65million

salary cap of 70.2

player injury of 4million

replacement player 1.2million

salary cap savings 0$, why they didnt spend to the cap

team salary 70.2million

player injuries 9.2million (5kes 4.2booth)

replacement players (kass ebbett 2million approx)

salary cap LTI usage FULL 2million. canucks were at 100% of the cap therefore whatever players they add are full value LTI replacements.

this is a very basic understanding of it, i dont even know if the formulas have changed in the new CBA, but this should give you a basic idea :)

edit: forgot there is also the issues of schroeders performance bonuses on his contract. under the new CBA these might be applied to next years cap instead of this years which further muddy the waters. (really not sure on this would need gilman to confirm its very complicated)

ok so LTI space works on a basic level like this:

you dont gain LTI space or relief unless you EXCEED the salary cap (this year 70.2million) therefore in order to take advantage of Kesler and Booths injury on opening day the canucks would like to be as CLOSE to 70.2 million as possible. So they will pick contracts that will add as closely to 70.2 million as possible.

math model: team salary of 65million

salary cap of 70.2

player injury of 4million

replacement player 1.2million

salary cap savings 0$, why they didnt spend to the cap

team salary 70.2million

player injuries 9.2million (5kes 4.2booth)

replacement players (kass ebbett 2million approx)

salary cap LTI usage FULL 2million. canucks were at 100% of the cap therefore whatever players they add are full value LTI replacements.

this is a very basic understanding of it, i dont even know if the formulas have changed in the new CBA, but this should give you a basic idea :)

edit: forgot there is also the issues of schroeders performance bonuses on his contract. under the new CBA these might be applied to next years cap instead of this years which further muddy the waters. (really not sure on this would need gilman to confirm its very complicated)

Well done, I forgot that they did something like this 2 seasons ago with Hodgson - kept him up as 13th forward because his bonuses were like 1.5m. Thanks for the info.

okay adam henrique was sent down today as well, there must be something in the CBA that capologists are exploiting, i have no idea what they are exploiting but there is more to this than a straight hockey decision.

I think you hit it on the head pretty perfectly before. We want to be as close to the 70.2M number as possible so we get cap relief when we place Booth on LITR. Now being that we had to have a 23 man roster set for today, Schroeder had no risk of getting claimed so he was "sent down". I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't even play with the Wolves. Booth will be placed on LTIR as soon as possible, and Schroeder will be "recalled" from Chicago.

Unpopular idea for today; Schroeder for Henrique??? :bigblush:

Heah, if Henrique cannot make their roster...

okay adam henrique was sent down today as well, there must be something in the CBA that capologists are exploiting, i have no idea what they are exploiting but there is more to this than a straight hockey decision.

Unpopular idea for today; Schroeder for Henrique??? :bigblush:

Heah, if Henrique cannot make their roster...

henrique is hurt, they sent him down because of the way AHL players salaries are caculated, in the new CBA players on 1ways in the AHL count against the cap at full value but i assume players on ELC's do not or are calculated at their AHL salary or some crazy other reason.

Kind of what I figured. I wonder if he has even left Vancouver yet.

AV did say they're not going to carry 3 extra D-men today. So I would imagine they make a decision on one of them tomorrow.

i was thinking more tuesday after practice, gives them 2 full practices to decide.

Was watching the Philly game and Scott Laughton an 18 year old looked great for the flyers.

I understand that we're all in right now and trying to win a championship. But, the Sedins are going to start declining sooner or later.

I just hope we don't end up in a Calgary situation with our team relying on Kesler and Schneider to get us into the playoffs every year.

I'm hoping next season with the cap issues we will play Gaunce, Jensen, Kassian and Schroeder regularly.

Also give chances to guys like Sweatt, Rodin, Connauton, and Corrado. Let the winning culture rub off on them like it did for Detroit.

Was watching the Philly game and Scott Laughton an 18 year old looked great for the flyers.

I understand that we're all in right now and trying to win a championship. But, the Sedins are going to start declining sooner or later.

I just hope we don't end up in a Calgary situation with our team relying on Kesler and Schneider to get us into the playoffs every year.

I'm hoping next season with the cap issues we will play Gaunce, Jensen, Kassian and Schroeder regularly.

Also give chances to guys like Sweatt, Rodin, Connauton, and Corrado. Let the winning culture rub off on them like it did for Detroit.

that is why a luongo trade for fair value is so important. as it will help set the canucks up for the post sedin era which i dont even want to imagine right now.

that is why a luongo trade for fair value is so important. as it will help set the canucks up for the post sedin era which i dont even want to imagine right now.

Or Schneider.

IMO, we decide after this shortened season. We will not move either, and decide afterwards.

Suddenly those Van-Philly rumours begin to make a little more sense if Laughton shows he could be an adequate fill in for Couturier (as hard as it is to grasp the very thought of trading him).

Archived