The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jordan Schroeder Talk

carlweezer

1)Higgins - Schroeder - Hansen

-Two puck hounds who will really help Schroeder in the defensive zone and fore-checking.

or

2)Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen

-Speed on the wings, also both veterans are great defensively. But Raymond has in the past been more of a shooter than Higgins, which could make for a better fit with the play-making Schroeder.

1)Higgins - Schroeder - Hansen

-Two puck hounds who will really help Schroeder in the defensive zone and fore-checking.

or

2)Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen

-Speed on the wings, also both veterans are great defensively. But Raymond has in the past been more of a shooter than Higgins, which could make for a better fit with the play-making Schroeder.

is that a third line or second line?

Now or never for Schroeder.

That 2009 draft of Schroeder and Rodin is not looking too good right now. Think about how the 2nd line injuries would not be an issue right now if one of these two had developed and shown more offensive production like the scouts expected. Canucks almost took Rodin in the first round.

why would you put Schroder on the 2nd line when Kesler was very good for us on the 2nd line? I don't get CDC sometimes.

because Kesler could not pass to save his life, it was over the blue line, shoot wide, line change. Put Cody in there to feed booth and Kes, there was a lot of debate as to why this did not happen. Not sure which Ryan Kesler you were watching last year pal.

Now or never for Schroeder.

That 2009 draft of Schroeder and Rodin is not looking too good right now.  Think about how the 2nd line injuries would not be an issue right now if one of these two had developed and shown more offensive production like the scouts expected.  Canucks almost took Rodin in the first round.

I'm pretty sure the situation wouldn't be much different had we instead taken two of:

Kyle Palmieri, Philippe Paradis, Dylan Olsen, Mikko Koskinen, Landon Ferraro, Carl Klingberg, Chris Brown, Matt Clark, Alex Chiasson, Jakob Silfverberg, Zach Budish, Charles-Olivier Roussel, William Wrenn, Ethan Werek, Brett Ponich, Kenny Ryan, Brian Dumoulin, or Richard Panik.

(All were selected between Schroeder and Rodin in 2009.)

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest we wait a couple of years before we start labelling Jordan and Anton busts.

is that a third line or second line?

I think whatever line lapierre ends up centering will take the 1st line defensive match ups. If that's the case, we may see a line like higgins-lapierre-hansen as line 2b or 3 which would be a killer line.

However, this leaves us with burrows, raymond, schroeder, kassian to fill the 4 other top 6 spots. It all really depends on if AV wants to go with a really good first and third line or a well balanced top 9 in which case I'd go with:

Sedin-sedin-kassian (if anyone can carry a rookie it's the twins)

Raymond-schroeder-hansen (two quick defensively responsible forwards sheltering schroeder)

higgins-lapierre-burrows (nightmare to play against)

Volpatti-malhotra-ebbett

I'm pretty sure the situation wouldn't be much different had we instead taken two of:

Kyle Palmieri, Philippe Paradis, Dylan Olsen, Mikko Koskinen, Landon Ferraro, Carl Klingberg, Chris Brown, Matt Clark, Alex Chiasson, Jakob Silfverberg, Zach Budish, Charles-Olivier Roussel, William Wrenn, Ethan Werek, Brett Ponich, Kenny Ryan, Brian Dumoulin, or Richard Panik.

(All were selected between Schroeder and Rodin in 2009.)

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest we wait a couple of years before we start labelling Jordan and Anton busts.

Ya, I woudn't label anyone a bust until they are 25. But you have to admit they are trending that way.

Neither has been dominant or stood out at the AHL level and they are approaching 23 years old. Be nice if one of them had showed a little more. These guys were both drafted for their skill and offense, and we haven't seen much of it in lower levels.

I can't answer for all the other players on your list, but the first guy you listed, Palmieri, has put up a point a game in the AHL over the last two years. Better production than Schroeder. There are names you failed to mention as well like O'Reilly and Johannson.

I'm just saying it would be nice if there was some sort of production from these guys that would indicate they are trending in a positive direction towards being offensive contributors. It is really hard to see right now.

Jordan and Anton are not alone. The system doesn't have any forwards in that 20-25 year old age group that looks ready to take the next step as top 6 contributor. I would say Kassian is the closest one, but even he has some serious questions.

Grabner and Hodgson were dealt and none of our other prospects have filled that void to this point.

I think Schroeder will be a decent NHL player with a few productive seasons to seasons where he doesn't make the NHL. A low end second line center who will perform decent enough but will often be pushed out next in favour of bigger players. His strength and defensive ability might keep him around, on offensive ability alone he will have trouble.

Ya, I woudn't label anyone a bust until they are 25. But you have to admit they are trending that way.

Neither has been dominant or stood out at the AHL level and they are approaching 23 years old.  Be nice if one of them had showed a little more.  These guys were both drafted for their skill and offense, and we haven't seen much of it in lower levels.

I can't answer for all the other players on your list, but the first guy you listed, Palmieri, has put up a point a game in the AHL over the last two years.  Better production than Schroeder.   There are names you failed to mention as well like O'Reilly and Johannson.

I'm just saying it would be nice if there was some sort of production from these guys that would indicate they are trending in a positive direction towards being offensive contributors.  It is really hard to see right now.

Jordan and Anton are not alone.  The system doesn't have any forwards in that 20-25 year old age group that looks ready to take the next step as top 6 contributor.  I would say Kassian is the closest one, but even he has some serious questions.

Grabner and Hodgson were dealt and none of our other prospects have filled that void to this point.

Obviously, O'Reilly and/or Johansson would have been nice to get instead, and would definitely make a difference. But the point of my post is that by far the majority of the guys selected are in the same boat as Schroeder and Rodin - still working on their game, and far from sure bets to be NHL impact players. There's very few who I would say are more likely than Schroeder to pan out as something of value.

Grabner may not have panned out had we kept him. And there are volumes still left to write on how Hodgson's and Kassian's careers will pan out. At this point, it's really just wait and see.

Personally, I think Schroeder and Kassian's stats are artificially low because of playing on a low-scoring team. I have a feeling that it is in large part because of a lack of offensive skill on the Wolves' blueline.

But the team's lack of real D prospects isn't much of a story, since Gillis has managed to stock our blueline well with trades and signings.

im hoping booths injury wont be a factor in him NOT making the team. I just cant see vignault playing 2 rookies on the same line. If kass is a 2nd line winger i find it difficult to believe schroeder has a chance over the veteran ebbett.

I hope AV tries out Schroeder and Kassian. They had some good chemistry while on the Wolves. Throw someone like Hansen or Higgins on the wing and it could be a nice line.

I'm not opposed to that. IMO though, a Raymond - Lapierre - Higgins/Hansen line would get more icetime. The Schroeder - Kassian line would be a 3rd line, which is fine.

PP units were a focus today at camp. 1st unit had Hansen with the Sedins and Elder/Garrison on the point. 2nd unit had Higgins with Schroeder and Burrows, with Bieksa and Hamhuis on the point. Looks like Schroeder is getting his shot!

Was ebbett given anytime on the powerplay? If not i'm wondering if he will be given that opportunity tomorrow.

Archived