The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

**Unofficial Golf Thread**

Are you a golfer?  

90 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• 1 month later...

The world's best golfer wins HER 10th professional title at 18 years of age, Lydia Ko you star. 

Seriously anyone with a passing interest in golf should be trying to watch Lydia at some stage. No one male of female has or had  such a  record at that age.

Last year she won at Royal Melbourne when the greens were prepared as hard and fast as they ever are for men (dining table hard). She missed 6 greens in four days. I doubt there is a man alive in the world that could match that level of accuracy over 4 days on such greens.

Edited by soda

• 3 months later...

not a lot of golf fans around these forums i guess?

i used to golf in the 90's just for fun with buddies. In the last couple years i started again and really fell in love with it. i had a decent driver given to me and was playing with my old clubs that i had bought in 95. The equipment these days has come a long way im finding out. So i decided to splurge and get myself a decent set of clubs on sale over the holidays...cant wait to get them broken in this spring. My game hasnt been great, 20-25 hdc, but im hopeful to knock some strokes off this year as ive been working on my putting this winter. Some of the golf sim tech also looks pretty intriguing, i may have to build a home indoor golf studio one of these years for the winter time.

my favorite golfers these days are Rickie Fowler, Bubba Watson, Rory, Spieth, Lexi Thompson, and Patrick Reed.

i never used to like watching golf on tv but i find if i pvr the matches and can skip through a lot of the bs, its actually quite entertaining.

and now with golf in the Olympics this year, it should be pretty interesting indeed.

5 hours ago, Toni Zamboni said:

not a lot of golf fans around these forums i guess?

i used to golf in the 90's just for fun with buddies. In the last couple years i started again and really fell in love with it. i had a decent driver given to me and was playing with my old clubs that i had bought in 95. The equipment these days has come a long way im finding out. So i decided to splurge and get myself a decent set of clubs on sale over the holidays...cant wait to get them broken in this spring. My game hasnt been great, 20-25 hdc, but im hopeful to knock some strokes off this year as ive been working on my putting this winter. Some of the golf sim tech also looks pretty intriguing, i may have to build a home indoor golf studio one of these years for the winter time.

my favorite golfers these days are Rickie Fowler, Bubba Watson, Rory, Spieth, Lexi Thompson, and Patrick Reed.

i never used to like watching golf on tv but i find if i pvr the matches and can skip through a lot of the bs, its actually quite entertaining.

and now with golf in the Olympics this year, it should be pretty interesting indeed.

I love to play, but TBH, with Weir's (and Ames') best days behind him and guys like DeLaet, Hearn and Hadwin being second tier players, there isn't alot of reason to watch golf, outside of the majors and international competitions like the Ryder Cup (where I cheer for the Euros)

Brooke Henderson might just get me back into watching the LPGA.

As far as the PGA goes, all I really hope for these days is that Lefty misses the cut.

• 2 months later...

The Masters got underway today and not surprisingly, Jordan Spieth has the early lead. However, this may not be the biggest story of day 1.

More impressive (in a horrifying sort of way) was Ernie Els' seven putt from 2 feet away on the first hole at Augusta. It was a "Tin Cup" type of legendary gaffe.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/golf/ernie-els-makes-history-epic-fail-first-hole-masters/

Edited by RUPERTKBD

• 2 months later...

Congrats to Canadas Brooke Henderson..first Canadian woman in 48 years to win a major..it moves her to #2 in the world   ...Canadas golf future seems quite bright with Henderson and on the mens side Hadwin, Hearn .DeLaet and Taylor.

— Canada's Brooke Henderson kept hearing the roar of fans echoing through the trees, leaving her to wonder what was happening elsewhere on the golf course.

By the end, all those roars were left just for her. And for good reason.

"The way the noise echoed here was really cool," Henderson said. "I'd never experienced that before. ... And then a lot of those cheers ended up being for me, which was even cooler."

Henderson won her first major title Sunday, beating top-ranked Lydia Ko with a birdie on the first hole of a playoff to win the KPMG Women's PGA Championship after overcoming a three-shot deficit on the back nine.

The 18-year-old from Smiths Falls, Ont., ranked No. 4 in the world, closed with a bogey-free 6-under 65 — the best round of the week at Sahalee Country Club — to match Ko at 6-under 278. Ko finished with a 67.

In the playoff on the par-4 18th, Henderson hit her second shot — a 7-iron from 155 yards — to 3 feet, while Ko's second from farther back in the fairway left her with 20 feet. Ko missed to the left, and Henderson tapped in to cap a week that started with a hole-in-one on her fourth hole Thursday and ended with a major championship.

Henderson became the second-youngest winner in a major championship, with Ko the youngest last year in the Evian Championship in France. Henderson also is the second Canadian woman to win a major championship, following Sandra Post's victory in the 1968 event, and is projected to jump from fourth to second in the world on Monday. Her first victory came last year in Portland, Oregon.

"To think about all of the incredible players that have come before me," Henderson said. "I was reading some of the names on this trophy and it's very, very cool."

Ko was bidding to become the fifth player in tour history to win three straight majors. Most times a bogey-free round with four birdies would be enough.

Understatement by Rory...

Rory McIlroy Verified account @McIlroyRory 36m36 minutes ago  This is ridiculous... No penalty whatsoever for DJ. Let the guy play without this crap in his head. Amateur hour from @USGA

I don't think I have ever seen anything like this.  Hey, you may have committed a penalty 7 holes ago but we haven't decided yet.  WTF?

One of the few times that I actually watched an entire round of golf.

Happy for DJ to finally get a win at a major, but felt a bit bad for Lowry. It's got to be tough to be 7 under and then shoot 6 over in the final round of the US open.

But yeah, the penalty stroke thing was a joke, not only for DJ, but for the guys chasing him as well.

39 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

What happened there?

My Father's Day activities took me away from watching.

On the 5th hole Johnson was putting just off the green. He took a couple of practice swings and then grounded the club behind the ball. (Actually, it was a bit hard to tell if the club really did touch the ground) As DJ lifted the club, the ball shifted slightly backwards. He immediately called attention to it, but claimed that he hadn't caused the ball to move by his actions. A marshal was on scene and it looked at the time like no harm, no foul.

However, as Johnson continued his round, officials reviewed the video and decided that "most likely" it was the player's actions that caused the ball to move, which should result in a 1 stroke penalty. (Unlike baseball and hockey, you apparently don't need conclusive evidence to overturn a call in golf)

On the 12th hole, an official approached Johnson and told him what their findings were, but did not tell DJ that a penalty was being imposed, only that it might be imposed at the end of the round. Johnson had to play the final 8 holes not knowing what his actual score was, (as did the players chasing him) making it tough to decide whether to play aggressive, or conservative.

It was a bush-league call by the USGA and one had to wonder if they were receiving advice from someone like the NHL DoPS, or Roger Goodell.

Thanks for the summary, Rupert.

I haven't bothered looking for video yet. Was there video during the broadcast?

Pretty bush league to not just go with the on course official's decision at the time. 

They need to clean that up along with getting Fox to stop broadcasting the US Open. It looked like amateur hour next to CBS or NBC golf productions.

On 6/21/2016 at 7:57 AM, Shift-4 said:

Thanks for the summary, Rupert.

I haven't bothered looking for video yet. Was there video during the broadcast?

Pretty bush league to not just go with the on course official's decision at the time. 

They need to clean that up along with getting Fox to stop broadcasting the US Open. It looked like amateur hour next to CBS or NBC golf productions.

No worries, Shifty. Yeah, they showed the whole thing after the official approached DJ at the 12th. He was probably on 15 or 16 by the time we saw the close up video and from what I saw, the club was never grounded behind the ball. I don't know what caused it to move, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't Johnson.

The guy Fox interviewed was facepalm worthy. His "explanation" was something to the effect of "After reviewing the video, we believe that the golfer's actions most likely caused the ball to move. Therefore yada yada..." No actual proof and no issue with throwing the official who made the original call under the bus. When pressed about whether DJ was going to be penalized or not, he waffled more than an IHOP on a Sunday morning, maintaining that there "might" be a penalty assessed at the end of the round. Total bush league.

Luckily for the USGA, Johnson won by multiple strokes, otherwise they'd have a real sh!tstorm on their hands.

Edited by RUPERTKBD