The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

**Unofficial Golf Thread**

Are you a golfer?  

90 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• 1 month later...

Brooke Henderson has won her second career major Championship, with a one shot win at the Evian Championship in France:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/golf/article/canadian-brooke-henderson-wins-evian-championship-for-second-career-major-title/

So much had happened in a chaotic final round of the Evian Championship — a spectator unwittingly picking up a stray ball, a pair of four-putts in the final group, a seven-way tie for the lead — that it was hard to know what to expect as Brooke Henderson walked down the fairway on the 72nd hole.

The Canadian was in a share of the lead with LPGA rookie Sophia Schubert and had just had a lucky escape when her wild hook off the tee at the par-5 No. 18 flew into trees and bounced out to relative safety.

Now in the middle of the fairway, could Henderson make birdie to win the second major title of her career, six years after her first at the Women’s PGA Championship in 2016 when she was only 18?

Henderson handled the pressure, hitting her third shot to eight feet and rolling in the putt for an even-par round of 71. She was soaked in Champagne by fellow players after clinching a one-stroke victory that certainly didn't come easy.

“Definitely not my best today,” Henderson said. “I just tried to stay patient and remind myself that I was still in it.

“I made some clutch putt and shots down the stretch which really helped.”

After all, Henderson went into Sunday with a two-stroke lead and having barely been out of position all week at Evian Resort Golf Club in rounds of 64, 64 and 68.

That was wiped out after the first hole, though, thanks to a birdie from playing partner So Yeon Ryu (73) and a bogey from Henderson.

So began the craziness of the final round of the fourth major of the year, when there were 13 changes to the lead.

At No. 5, Ryu had a double bogey to gift Henderson a three-stroke lead. At the next hole, Henderson also four-putted for a double and saw her lead slip to one.

By that time, Olympic champion Nelly Korda — who started six shots behind Henderson but was soon only three behind — had pushed her approach shot into the rough near a path and seen a spectator wander up to the ball and pick it up.

The ball had to be replaced to a best estimate of where it was picked up, and Korda went on to make a double of her own.

Henderson was knocked out of the lead for the first time — if only briefly — when Schubert made birdie at No. 12 to move onto 15 under, breaking a seven-way tie for first place.

Henderson managed to keep pace with Schubert with birdies at Nos. 14 and 15, and a clutch par putt at No. 16.

The pair were tied for the lead after reaching the 18th, with Schubert playing in the group ahead of Henderson.

Schubert played it better but her birdie putt came to rest barely an inch from the cup — she had to settle for a 68 — just after Henderson had sent away her ugly drive.

Henderson chipped out into the fairway and pulled off her fourth birdie of the day, three of them coming in the final six holes.

She finished on 17-under 267.

“I stayed pretty patient, as patient as I could under the circumstances,” Henderson said. “Going into the back nine, the saying is that majors are won on the back nine on Sunday so I just tried to keep that frame of mind and knew I was still in it if I had a solid back (nine).”

Schubert, who started the final round four off the lead, almost won in just her second major as a professional. Playing her first year on the LPGA Tour, she hadn't had a top-10 finish before this week.

Five players were tied for third a further shot back: Mao Saigo (64), Lydia Ko (66), Charley Hull (67), Hyo Joo Kim (67) and Carlota Ciganda (68).

:gocan:

• Vintage 1

• 2 months later...

This flew a bit under the radar with so much else going on this weekend, but MacKenzie Hughes added his second career PGA victory, winning the Sanderson Farms Championship in the 2nd playoff hole on Sunday.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/golf/article/canadas-hughes-jumps-31-spots-to-no-51-on-world-golf-ranking-list-after-title/

Hughes was apparently upset about being left off the President's Cup team last weekend and used it as motivation in San Diego. Looking at the headlines, I'm guessing that International Captain Trevor Immelman is probably disappointed as well.....

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Not much in the way of good news for Canadians at the Masters. It looks like MacKenzie Hughes will be the only Canuck to make the cut. (currently sitting at even par)

More bad news (at least, IMO) is the fact that Brooks Koepka, a member of the LIV tour is the leader at -12.

The big news today however, is that two trees fell over, narrowly missing several spectators. https://www.sportsnet.ca/golf/article/play-suspended-at-masters-trees-down/

Great news from Augusta.... Brooks Koepka shoots 75, allowing Jon Rahm to win the Masters.:towel:

It kind of sucks that FIGJAM and Patrick Reed were in the top five along with BK, but as long as the Green Jacket went to someone who didn't sell out for Saudi blood money, I'm good....

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

On the last hole Rahm took his tee shot and it seemed to go into the trees.

He then just took another tee shot as if the first one didn't happen.

What was that all about?

The second ball was provisional. It's a shot you take in case the original tee shot can't be found.

As luck would have it, the original shot was located and Rahm managed to save par. The provisional tee shot (which would have been his third stroke, had he had to use it) was not used.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

On the last hole Rahm took his tee shot and it seemed to go into the trees.

He then just took another tee shot as if the first one didn't happen.

What was that all about?

To add with what Rup said.  The provisional ball is to save time.  When you get to the area where your ball has landed, you are limited to 3 minutes (used to be 5) to find your ball.  If you fail to find your initial ball, you can then continue playing the hole by playing your provisional, at a cost to your score though. 

What sucks is if your provisional is hit even worse than your initial drive, and you have to hit another. That would be me.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

The second ball was provisional. It's a shot you take in case the original tee shot can't be found.

As luck would have it, the original shot was located and Rahm managed to save par. The provisional tee shot (which would have been his third stroke, had he had to use it) was not used.

4 hours ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

To add with what Rup said.  The provisional ball is to save time.  When you get to the area where your ball has landed, you are limited to 3 minutes (used to be 5) to find your ball.  If you fail to find your initial ball, you can then continue playing the hole by playing your provisional, at a cost to your score though. 

What sucks is if your provisional is hit even worse than your initial drive, and you have to hit another. That would be me.

Thank you, sirs.

Somehow I missed the fact that he continued playing from his original shot.  I thought he had continued from his second tee shot with no apparent penalty.  Nice trick if you can get  away with it.

Just now, UnkNuk said:

Thank you, sirs.

Somehow I missed the fact that he continued playing from his original shot.  I thought he had continued from his second tee shot with no apparent penalty.  Nice trick if you can get  away with it.

I think that is only allowable for certain players at Trump courses....B)

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...

Well, this is certainly disappointing.....

https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/06/golf/pga-tour-liv-golf-merger-spt-intl/index.html

The US-based PGA Tour is set to partner with the Saudi-backed breakaway LIV Golf, ending a feud that has dogged the men’s professional game for the past year.

The PGA Tour made the shock announcement on Tuesday, saying a new partnership with LIV and the DP World Tour would “unify the game of golf.”

“The parties have signed an agreement that combines PIF’s golf-related commercial businesses and rights (including LIV Golf) with the commercial businesses and rights of the PGA Tour and DP World Tour into a new, collectively owned, for-profit entity,” the statement read.

A spokesperson for the PGA Tour told CNN that the new relationship between the PGA Tour, DP World Tour (formerly known as the European Tour) and LIV Golf is not a merger, but “a partnership/creation of a new commercial entity.”

The LIV Golf series, backed by Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund (PIF), officially launched in June 2022, with participating players subsequently barred from competing in PGA Tour events. The PIF is a sovereign wealth fund chaired by Mohammed bin Salman, the Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia, known by his initials MBS.

The two rival tours have since been involved in a series of legal disputes, with all pending litigation mutually ended under the new agreement. “After two years of disruption and distraction, this is a historic day for the game we all know and love,” said PGA Tour Commissioner Jay Monahan.

Monahan described the deal as a “transformational partnership,” that would “benefit golf’s players, commercial and charitable partners and fans.”

He praised PIF Governor Yasir Al-Rumayyan, saying his “vision and collaborative and forward-thinking approach” was not only a solution to the division within the sport but also a “commitment to taking it to new heights.”

“This will engender a new era in global golf, for the better,” he added.

So, in the end, it wasn't at all about taking a moral stand.....<_<

• Vintage 2

2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Well, this is certainly disappointing.....

https://www.cnn.com/2023/06/06/golf/pga-tour-liv-golf-merger-spt-intl/index.html

So, in the end, it wasn't at all about taking a moral stand.....<_<

Proven - Money CAN buy anything.  PGA board members = the living embodiment of hypocrisy - working for months behind their own members' backs and likely sanction any PGA tour member who publicly criticize their decision. 

This is disappointing on many levels. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

32 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Proven - Money CAN buy anything.  PGA board members = the living embodiment of hypocrisy - working for months behind their own members' backs and likely sanction any PGA tour member who publicly criticize their decision. 

This is disappointing on many levels. 

Definitely feel for the PGA players like Rory, who happen to possess a conscience...with the PGA and DP World Tours making this deal, they literally have nowhere else to go...