The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

**Unofficial Golf Thread**

Are you a golfer?  

90 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't follow golf all that closely but I came across this story which might interest some:

https://www.si.com/golf-archives/2022/02/17/saudi-arabia-golf-tour-explained

The biggest story in men’s golf right now is the emergence of a potential challenger to the PGA Tour. Rumors of a rival tour have been simmering for years now, but things have really picked up steam in recent weeks. Talk of a breakaway tour has been dominating the Genesis Invitational this week at Riviera.

It’s called the SGL, for Super Golf League, but the “S” might as well stand for Saudi. The Middle Eastern kingdom is funding the effort through its Public Investment Fund, a government-run wealth fund. The PIF is the primary investor in a company called LIV Golf Investments, which in October announced golf great Greg Norman as its CEO. LIV has pledged to pump $200 million into the Asian Tour but the SGL is the bigger story...

• 3 months later...

This thread doesn't see a lot of traffic, but I'm interested to know what people think about the new Saudi funded golf tour, that has seen players like Phil Mickelson and Dustin Johnson jump ship from the PGA?

I don't know all the names of the players who have moved to LIV, but I've never been a fan of either of the above players, especially not FIGJAM. Taking money from human rights abusers like the Saudis, makes me like them even less and I applaud the PGA banning them from their events.

11 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

This thread doesn't see a lot of traffic, but I'm interested to know what people think about the new Saudi funded golf tour, that has seen players like Phil Mickelson and Dustin Johnson jump ship from the PGA?

I don't know all the names of the players who have moved to LIV, but I've never been a fan of either of the above players, especially not FIGJAM. Taking money from human rights abusers like the Saudis, makes me like them even less and I applaud the PGA banning them from their events.

Golf isn't my sport and I've been following this one.  Not only do I support the PGA banning them, I support it being a lifetime ban.  Wonder what Gretzky thinks of his son in law putting money over basic human decency.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I don't agree whatsoever with the human right violations from a cultural/humane/or even legal standpoint - but just from a pure sporting standpoint I think it's time the PGA has some type of competition.  The PGA, despite what they would like people to believe, is the epitome of an 'old white boys' club as one will ever find - they have very little motivation to change because they are essentially a monopoly since they control the tour with the most money and 'prestige'.  Any organization that makes 'old white boys clubs' re-think their place in the world order is helping make progress in a way - but again, I wish it were from a group which didn't have the unfortunate human rights issues that they do. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I don't agree whatsoever with the human right violations from a cultural/humane/or even legal standpoint - but just from a pure sporting standpoint I think it's time the PGA has some type of competition.  The PGA, despite what they would like people to believe, is the epitome of an 'old white boys' club as one will ever find - they have very little motivation to change because they are essentially a monopoly since they control the tour with the most money and 'prestige'.  Any organization that makes 'old white boys clubs' re-think their place in the world order is helping make progress in a way - but again, I wish it were from a group which didn't have the unfortunate human rights issues that they do. 

Would be nice to see the women get paid better for sure, but this isn't a likely outcome.

25 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

That's a good point, but I think it's also fair to point out that these players aren't jumping ship over some altruistic idea of creating a more competitive environment, or pushing the PGA to take a more socially principled position....

....they're doing it because the Saudis are throwing bags of cash at them.....

19 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

That's a good point, but I think it's also fair to point out that these players aren't jumping ship over some altruistic idea of creating a more competitive environment, or pushing the PGA to take a more socially principled position....

Don't get me wrong Rup, I'm under no illusions as to why most of the players joined this organization, and many of the players have simply been blunt about the fact that, to quote one player, "I can play over there and in two weeks potentially be set for life financially".  But in my view, regardless of the motivation, any situation that makes the PGA re-examine their practices/policies and become more transparent is good.  As I mentioned already however, it's unfortunate that they have that despicable history though. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

And it is likely that the PGA is fighting back, to protect their turf; with no craps given to the human rights issue- as well?

• Cheers 1

It is amazing the amount of mo ey LIV is throwing at people and at the winnings. The purse this weekend is something like 10X the purse at Canadian open. Some of these guys are getting hundreds of millions of dollars just to come over to LIV. 
Blood money yeah but they are throwing it at them by the truckload. 

On 6/9/2022 at 1:36 PM, RUPERTKBD said:

Trudeau sends these human rights abusers military equipment worth billions of dollars, then uses that money to send right back to them for un-taxed oil.  

Edited by King Loui

On 6/9/2022 at 3:34 PM, gurn said:

And it is likely that the PGA is fighting back, to protect their turf; with no craps given to the human rights issue- as well?

I don’t think the PGA can keep golfers out of the British Open, but couldn’t they keep golfers out of the PGA Championship, The US Open, and the Masters?  

Then again, the NBA takes a lot of money from China, don’t they?  That’s a sick league.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, King Loui said:

Trudeau sends these human rights abusers military equipment worth billions of dollars, then uses that money to send right back to them for un-taxed oil.  

Okay, but the discussion is about wealthy golfers, not politicians. Any comment on the topic at hand?

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

I don’t think the PGA can keep golfers out of the British Open, but couldn’t they keep golfers out of the PGA Championship, The US Open, and the Masters?  

Then again, the NBA takes a lot of money from China, don’t they?  That’s a sick league.  

Not sure about the US Open, Alf.....by definition, an "open" is available to anyone, provided they can qualify. (I'm assuming that anyone who has played in a LIV sanctioned tournament would be required to qualify, but that would be up the the tourney organizers and sponsors, AFAIK)

• Vintage 1

19 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Not sure about the US Open, Alf.....by definition, an "open" is available to anyone, provided they can qualify. (I'm assuming that anyone who has played in a LIV sanctioned tournament would be required to qualify, but that would be up the the tourney organizers and sponsors, AFAIK)

Sadly, the almighty dollar wins out - again. 

• Cheers 1

On 6/11/2022 at 9:22 AM, Alflives said:

No, the PGA cannot determine who can/can't play in the 'majors' as they are not owned or operated by the PGA, they are separate entities wholly owned by independent organizations who can do as they please in this regard. 

That said, you can bet that the 'old boys club' aka the PGA is lobbying hard to get their fellow 'old boys' clubs aka the 'majors' organizations to see things their way and ban the LIV players from their respective tournaments.  Unfortunately, in the case of the Masters for example, this will be difficult as any previous winner (Mick, DJ, Reed who are already under LIV contracts) has a lifetime entry into the tournament. 

I've found the PGA stance on the LIV organization and their human rights issues quite hypocritical as for decades the PGA has aligned itself closely with the Masters tournament and essentially supported them as one of their own, yet the entire entity that is the Masters tournament is rooted deeply in racism and sexism to it's very core, one could argue the Masters were founded on these principals, this is well documented and common knowledge in the golf world yet conveniently overlooked as the wielding of a green jacket seems to override any past mistakes.   

• Vintage 1