The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Patrick McNally | D

b3.

249 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

McNally and Clendening are of similar age and both could well make the Canucks next year...still think Weber can be replaced by one of them even though he has been hot lately and Corrado could use another year in Utica.

It may well be that McNally has an easier transistion to the NHL than Clendening just due to his size and age.

well, it may well be that you could well be... well... right.

If he goes to Harvard for another year, he still becomes a free agent by august or only next year?

he remains our property until aug 15 following his graduation from school, whenever that may be. if he goes back to harvard and doesn't play hockey, he's still ours until he graduates, though we'd have less incentive to sign him if he just takes off a year of hockey for no reason.

I found this on HFboards. The poster's username is 701.

McNally and Melted Dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindgren viewpost.gif
Here's another story that assumes McNally is leaving Harvard:

http://www.harvardindependent.com/20...melted-dreams/

So I wrote to the author of this article, mentioning that I'm a Harvard grad and a Canucks fan, and he very graciously replied with some news that looks bad for McNally ever signing with the Canucks. The writer, Peyton Fine, told me that McNally will be moving into his (Fine's) room in Leverett House next autumn, aiming to finish his student career and get his Harvard AB. He could in theory still sign with the Canucks, and perhaps if his waiver request is denied, his academic plans could still change. But it's more likely IMO that he'll complete his senior year regardless, while working out like crazy, same as he did during his suspension (note how strong a player he was, returning from that off-year). Then, during the summer after graduation, he could become a free agent and sign with the NHL team of his choice.

That's the scenario as I see it. I hope I'm wrong about it, because it's been a long haul, and he's a significant talent as a game-controlling PMD. Anyway, here's the author's reply:

"First, thank you for reading the article and the kind words you had for it. You bring up a good point about McNally. Space constraints meant I had to oversimplify that issue, but what you said is exactly correct. Here's what I know about McNally. He will be back at Harvard next year, sorry for your Canucks. I know this because he will be moving into my room in Leverett next year. In terms of the NCAA granting a waiver for him to continue to play, I know he has requested one, but a decision has not been made, and I would imagine will not come until the summer.

The good news is that Vesey announced his return just days after the article, so Harvard should be strong up top again. McNally made this team so much better, and it is no coincidence that their losing streak matched with his injury. However, I am really excited about a few of our other young defenders who could carry part of the load without McNally. If McNally comes back, I think we will be one of the best teams going into the season. The only major hole we will have is replacing Michalek.

Glad to hear from another Harvard sports fan, and I will keep you posted as I find out information.

Peyton"

Sometimes it takes a wake up call to get a player's attention. Any suggestion that McNally cannot finish his degree while going pro is shorting his hockey career in a big way. One would have to question his hockey commitment over the long run IMHO.

The reality McNally faces is that every shift he takes could be his last if he is injured. Faced with sitting out a year to finish his degree puts him in a situation where he is trying to find a pro team willing to give him a try. Not playing for 2 out of 3 years is a big negative.

Guest Dasein

doesn't have the commitment? what about the commitment it takes to be a student athlete at Harvard?

At Harvard though - one could argue that he's playing so that he can get one of the best education in the world

He probably could have gone to a "better" hockey program but education is clearly pretty important for McNally. If the NCAA denies his eligibility, his decision - whether he would stay and not play hockey for a year to finish his degree or turn pro - should tell us further what his priorities are

Not that I have anything against someone completing their education - just because you have one commitment does not mean you cannot committed to another cause. Tim Duncan completed his degree rather than turn pro early like most stud basketball prospects because he promised his mom that he would - five rings and multiple MVPs later, it is clear that basketball matters very much to the Big Fundamental

I agree with you that the other commenter is baseless in his opinion, but I can understand why he would get such an impression from McNally

Suggesting that McNally would pick his degree over a hockey career is not a personal put down of him. From the Canuck perspective it is about risk/reward. If he cannot play next year buy chooses to finish his degree then IMO he is making a choice that seriously sets back his hockey ambitions. Sitting out 2 of the last 3 seasons is a high risk for the Canucks to want to sign him. Who do they pass on to take that risk? I doubt that JB will be willing to do it. If on the other hand He does not get his exemption then McNally probably goes pro.

trade him to oilers for a 3rd hey can offer him a schultz like offer he can't refuse benign can steal a gem with a early 3rd or van can sign him 3 yrs with a 100k signing bonus in all reality he can take summer school to finish a degree you'd think a 100k would persuade someone

It's time to move on dudes, he made the smart decision and stuck with school, after we signed guys like Sautner and Hiutton, in addition to guys like McEneny, Cederholm and Subban turning pro. No real loss, and I wish him the best.

Did some magical deadline pass I wasn't aware of, and if so why doesn't it also apply to Subban? Just because Benning has said something about Subban?

Just to clarify, I forgot when this was mentioned, but McNally went to a private HS for three years and then went to Milton, but he redid his Junior year. So, he technically was in HS for five years.

why did he have to redo his junior year?

At Harvard though - one could argue that he's playing so that he can get one of the best education in the world

He probably could have gone to a "better" hockey program but education is clearly pretty important for McNally. If the NCAA denies his eligibility, his decision - whether he would stay and not play hockey for a year to finish his degree or turn pro - should tell us further what his priorities are

Not that I have anything against someone completing their education - just because you have one commitment does not mean you cannot committed to another cause. Tim Duncan completed his degree rather than turn pro early like most stud basketball prospects because he promised his mom that he would - five rings and multiple MVPs later, it is clear that basketball matters very much to the Big Fundamental

I agree with you that the other commenter is baseless in his opinion, but I can understand why he would get such an impression from McNally

so I used to sit next to McNally in one of my classes at Harvard. Told him I was a huge Nucks fan and we talked about it.. he knew surprisingly little about the Canucks and said that he wouldn't look forward to playing in Utica and wishes they kept the farm in Chicago. Not that it makes a difference to his hockey skill, but he was always on facebook and such and never actually paying attention in class (even after his suspension).

I just get the feeling he doesn't care particularly about signing with the Canucks, seems to be a big USA guy. Nice kid tho!

so I used to sit next to McNally in one of my classes at Harvard. Told him I was a huge Nucks fan and we talked about it.. he knew surprisingly little about the Canucks and said that he wouldn't look forward to playing in Utica and wishes they kept the farm in Chicago. Not that it makes a difference to his hockey skill, but he was always on facebook and such and never actually paying attention in class (even after his suspension).

I just get the feeling he doesn't care particularly about signing with the Canucks, seems to be a big USA guy. Nice kid tho!

C's get degrees lol

Archived