The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

3 hours ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

Find it hysterical CR7 created more chances than Ibra and Lewa combined and still people blame him. It's just the hate. People expect him to score every game or else he gets trolled. World class player.

...but props to Iceland. I think everyone is rooting for them. Great story indeed! 

330,000 people live there.  Do they import players or something?  How is this possible they can not only qualify for ?Eurosport, but draw 1-1 with a world powerhouse in Portugal?  

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

330,000 people live there.  Do they import players or something?  How is this possible they can not only qualify for ?Eurosport, but draw 1-1 with a world powerhouse in Portugal?  

Portugal always manages to underachieve. My wife and I cheer for them because we got married over there. As part of our honeymoon we saw a game at the Estadio da Luz. It was a derby between Benfica and Sporting. She cheered for Benefica and I cheered for Sporting - good fun.

Meanwhile, 8% of the entire population of Iceland was at today's game. A gutty effort by the Icelanders, but I have to say that their goalie looked like he was completely losing it in the last few minutes there. 90 minutes of constant pressure will do that to a guy.

Who said there weren't Cinderella stories at Euro?

7 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Oh yeah, Dunga got sacked.  Who the hell had the idea of actually bringing that oaf back?

Whaaaaa? Dunga is a dinosaur!!   He wants to pack the back end and win 0-0. Big problem with Brazil is that the coaches are sooo overrated. The last half decent won was Scolari and the game has now passed him by.

Otherwise who are the going to trot out to coach the Brazilian drama queens - Vanderlei Luxemburgo?

5 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

Portugal always manages to underachieve. My wife and I cheer for them because we got married over there. As part of our honeymoon we saw a game at the Estadio da Luz. It was a derby between Benfica and Sporting. She cheered for Benefica and I cheered for Sporting - good fun.

Meanwhile, 8% of the entire population of Iceland was at today's game. A gutty effort by the Icelanders, but I have to say that their goalie looked like he was completely losing it in the last few minutes there. 90 minutes of constant pressure will do that to a guy.

Who said there weren't Cinderella stories at Euro?

Yup, I'm now on the Go Iceland Go Bandwagon.  We have 100 times their population, but we are 100 times worse!  

3 hours ago, CaptainCanuck001 said:

According to tomorrows (I think) Bild, Watzke confirmed that Mkhitaryan won't be renewing his contract, but if my translation is correct he also said that they won't sell him and will instead let him leave on a free next summer.

Raiola, his agent, is quoted as saying that BVB have a formal offer from United and that it would a once in a lifetime chance for Mkhitaryan and that he is very keen on the move. 

Im not to sure but didn't Watzke or Zorc say that after the Lewandoski transfer that they would never let a player leave on a free again? @Lateralus91 @Scottish⑦Canuck 

This is going to be a crazy summer for sure though.

Don't think Watzke completely ruled it out letting a player leave on a free. However, I don't understand why they won't let him. We will probably be fine without him. With Hummels and Gündogan leaving we are in a rebuild situation anyway. So why not sell Mkhitaryan as well? We would still have time to add a replacement and I just don't think we'd end up much worse than 3rd or 4th place.

The only chant the crowd ever had today at Copa America in Seattle was "Messi, Messi, Messi!". 

That was it.

Crowd was still electrifying to say the least as the field was packed with 45 000.

Highlights include:

-The goals

-Messi going between the keepers legs in style. Sadly it was offside

-Messi being involved in a near brawl. First time I've ever seen him so agitated.

-Some idiot trying to run the field got tackled down and then faked an injury like your typical football player- rolling around and screaming.

-Some Bolivian player absolutely stole the ball away from Messi. I'm sure it made his day.

Very entertaining game and got to take a low quality pic of the legend himself.image.png

• Upvote 4

16 minutes ago, CaptainCanuck001 said:

Apparently BVB want €40M for Mkhitaryan, I really hope we don't pay that when he's on the last year of his contract

I think they'll settle for €30M. Considering they got him for €25M, don't think they'd let him go at a deficit / United's offer.

Who was the guy defending CR a couple pages back?

Cristiano Ronaldo reacted to a restorative night for the game with all the petulance and pettiness of a spoilt child.

“Iceland didn’t try anything,” whined the Portuguese captain. “They were just defend, defend, defend and playing on the counterattack. It was a lucky night for them. We should have three points but we are OK. I thought they’d won the Euros the way they celebrated at the end. It was unbelievable. When they don’t try to play and just defend, defend, defend, this in my opinion shows a small mentality and they are not going to do anything in the competition.”

You were saying?

• Upvote 1

It makes me laugh that players like Lukaku are valued at £60m, and Vardy gets laughed at when someone says £20m. I'd swap the two valuations around and still buy Vardy.