The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

2 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Gee, you're not Italian are you?  Always whining about the refs!  :emot-parrot:

Questionable penalty?  LOL - the hate runs deep with this one!

I hate Italy more, but i just think Italy is a better team.

1 minute ago, c00kies said:

I hate Italy more, but i just think Italy is a better team.

I agree - they are undefeated since 2019 or something like that.

But England deserves to be there just the same.

Just now, Alflives said:

Spain were pre tournament favourites?  

Well one of them, but when France and Belgium went down, they were the best team left. I think England will be favored, especially being at home and an injury to one of Italy's better players, but i think Italy will control the play.

Regardless of my previous comments, it should be a good, close game. 

Just now, Heretic said:

Yes, both teams deserve to be there, even if it has been sloppy at times.

Ultimately, I'll cheer for the team that plays better on Sunday, and hopefully it won't go to penalty kicks. 

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I hope you're right Alf, but if I was betting, I'd put my money on the Italians....

In fact, I have a buddy originally from North London....I bet he'll put some money on his boy Kane....

Not a huge fan of either team and their suffocating low scoring defensive first style of play that leads to low scoring matches.

The final may only be interesting in the suspense of who gets the ultimate decisive goal.

As always the first goal will be critical to set the flow and tempo of the game.

I would expect a tight tense affair that could be scoreless well after halftime.

Italy will be looking to use the pressure and expectations of England having to win at home against England.

We shall see if its "coming home" or "going to Rome"...

I am personally more interested in Argentina vs Brazil in the Copa America Final.

Messi vs Neymar the battle of the 2 giants of South American and Latin Football.

3 hours ago, c00kies said:

Winning in penalty kicks against the tournament favourite> getting bailed out by an OG and questionable penalty against a non-contender.

Spain were not tournament favourites any which way you cut it. They over performed to get to where they did based on the consensus going into the tournament. 

the simple matter is the style of football each team are playing is different. England have attacking talents to blow teams away and that was seen in the nations league. However against top tier opposition they have always been to open and as such lost games. Our defence is okay but not great, which is why we are playing defensive team football, the view being we keep the game tight and we have the players to always grab a goal when needed if we have to open up. 

italy is playing fluid attacking football, which was sorely tested by Spanish possession football. 

if anything we see a flip in ideology between the two sides with England being tight and defensive and Italy being open and attacking. 

My view on the final will be it’s likely to be a low scoring tight affair and not one for the ages.

but basing a teams semi final results and saying one is better is foolish as you have to play the team in front of you and also take into account the style of play.

Greece won the Euros being a very defensive compact team, in the end style amounts to nothing if it doesn’t produce victory at the end.

10 hours ago, Heretic said:

Gee, you're not Italian are you?  Always whining about the refs!  :emot-parrot:

Questionable penalty?  LOL - the hate runs deep with this one!

I have to confess that I thought the penalty was a bit weak as well.....however, I also believe that the ref ignored a rather obvious one on Kane earlier in the match...

....and that OG was going in one way or another. If the defender doesn't put his foot in, Sterling buries it easily.

I'd love to see the home team win so for the 2020 London Euros, go England! (sarcasm)

How pathetic has it been that they haven't even left London all tournament? Blatant favoritism. Even if its a brexit issue, explain how the nhl finals were international but the UEFA euros cant be.... cringey 

19 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Unfortunately, I'm not able to watch. I have Sportsnet's live tracker open and saw the update....

Bastard dived... as usual. There were actually 2 balls on the pitch at the time for at least 20 seconds. Shocking decision. Should have blown his whistle a lot earlier to get rid of the one ball.... very disappointing end to a cracking match. Atmosphere was fantastic and Wembley an incredible stadium, but they should never have had a pen. On top of that fans were pointing lasers towards Schmeichel... oh well... just poor from a nation that has complained about Maradonnas 'hand of god' incident the last 35 years...

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Bastard dived... as usual. There were actually 2 balls on the pitch at the time for at least 20 seconds. Shocking decision. Should have blown his whistle a lot earlier to get rid of the one ball.... very disappointing end to a cracking match. Atmosphere was fantastic and Wembley an incredible stadium, but they should never have had a pen. On top of that fans were pointing lasers towards Schmeichel... oh well... just poor from a nation that has complained about Maradonnas 'hand of god' incident the last 35 years...

I watched the replay last night and saw that second ball....definitely a WTF moment....

Just read about the lasers today. I didn't see it when I watched the replay, but of course, I wasn't looking for it.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I watched the replay last night and saw that second ball....definitely a WTF moment....

Just read about the lasers today. I didn't see it when I watched the replay, but of course, I wasn't looking for it.

It's up to the ref to stop play if there's a 2nd ball in play. If it isn't interfering with the play, he has the right to continue with the play.

As for the green light, that $&!# is awful for the eyes. I believe Vancouver did that to Kipper one game (I think during the shootout) and he called the refs to let them know.

3 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

I'd love to see the home team win so for the 2020 London Euros, go England! (sarcasm)

How pathetic has it been that they haven't even left London all tournament? Blatant favoritism. Even if its a brexit issue, explain how the nhl finals were international but the UEFA euros cant be.... cringey 

1. They went to Rome for a game,

2. This only happened because the tournament this year was spread across Europe not in one host country, nothing to do with brexit or COVID.

3. The games due to be held in Dublin were moved and Wembley and I belive Hampton park picked up the games they would have had. This was COVID relates

4. The only reason England got this many games in Wembley was because England won their group, if they came second or third they would have ended up playing  in Copenhagen  and st Petersburg I believe before returning to Wembley for the semi (which would have been in Dublin) 

so it’s absolutely nothing to do with favouritism, the Last time England hosted the euros solely was 1996, this time it’s shared across Europe, last time England hosted the World Cup was 1966, USA has hosted it in 1994 and will again in 2026

Edited by UKNuck96
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

18 hours ago, Heretic said:

I agree. They've definitely had an easier road to the final, but you can only play the teams in front of you...

Considering they have only conceded once in the entire tournament (and that because of an almost perfect free kick from Damsgaard) I'd say they were absolutely deserving of their place.

3 hours ago, UKNuck96 said:

2. This only happened because the tournament this year was spread across Europe not in one host country, nothing to do with brexit or COVID.

3. The games due to be held in Dublin were moved and Wembley and I belive Hampton park picked up the games they would have had. This was COVID relates

4. The only reason England got this many games in Wembley was because England won their group, if they came second or third they would have ended up playing  in Copenhagen  and st Petersburg I believe before returning to Wembley for the semi (which would have been in Dublin) 

so it’s absolutely nothing to do with favouritism, the Last time England hosted the euros solely was 1996, this time it’s shared across Europe, last time England hosted the World Cup was 1966, USA has hosted it in 1994 and will again in 2026

The way this has been hosted has been a bit of a shambles to be honest, and you can't hold that against England, even if they've benefited more than others.

Having high profile games played in front of a disinterested crowd in Baku, which isn't even in Europe, is awful.

Thank God it's back to a single host in 2024. Germany 2006 was a fantastic tournament.

• Vintage 1

6 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Trust me... I was sitting 20 yards from the ball amongst the Danish fans... poor by the referee... looked like a text book 'how to get out of a stadium alive'....

4 hours ago, c00kies said:

It's up to the ref to stop play if there's a 2nd ball in play. If it isn't interfering with the play, he has the right to continue with the play.

As for the green light, that $&!# is awful for the eyes. I believe Vancouver did that to Kipper one game (I think during the shootout) and he called the refs to let them know.

The ball was on the park for 20-30 sec at the same side the attack came from... so it did interfer with play... 

8 hours ago, UKNuck96 said:

All 3 round robin games were in Wembley. It has a lot to do with brexit and visas since they are no longer part of the european union and the EU is still locked down from the outside, travel within has been accepted at all times. It is absolute dog&*^% and they were gifted home field advantage. Teams like France and Portugal didn't get that luxury and it cost them. 

2 hours ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

All 3 round robin games were in Wembley. It has a lot to do with brexit and visas since they are no longer part of the european union and the EU is still locked down from the outside, travel within has been accepted at all times. It is absolute dog&*^% and they were gifted home field advantage. Teams like France and Portugal didn't get that luxury and it cost them. 

You are talking $&!#, it’s nothing to do with brexit the host stadiums were chosen in 2014 - before the brexit referendum. 

Denmark played all of their group stage games at their home stadium as well, 

Hungary played 2 of three I think at the Puskas arena.

basically the stadiums were chosen in 2014 and then based on qualification and how the groups fell they tried to keep teams at home where possible.

Wembley won the semi final and finals package against the alliance arena in Germany 

the group games for Wembley were due to be held in Belgium and most likely they would have rejigged where the groups played because of this, however the stadium in Brussels wasn’t ready so they moved the games to another stadium that could host them that had already been part of the selection process, this was Wembley as it originally bid for group and finals, but withdrew from group hosting because they won the finals package.

however UEFA then allocated the games to Wembley, and then because of COVID Dublin wasn’t able to host so that game also got moved there.

there was no favouritism.

Euro 2020 wasn’t like normal euros because of not having a host nation, as such their were no automatically qualified teams. This means that England had to qualify and also had to win the group to get the combination they did, it’s circumstance and not some sort of brexit conspiracy 

Edited by UKNuck96
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, spook007 said:

Most soccer players do nowadays.

A gentle breeze is enough to make them fall over. 

Any way to compare a guy who falls in the box from the merest contact like so many do to a guy that deliberately handballs  the ball and says a sky fairy did it ?

No comparison.

Any way my dad was a lifelong Villa fan so with the Southgate and hopefully grealish will play connection,go the Sassenachs.

• Upvote 1