The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dangerous Victoria Motorcycle Ride Hits 299 Km/h (186 Mph)

Navyblue

http://www.timescolo...3168/story.html

A shocking YouTube video of a motorcycle rider weaving in and out of traffic on the Trans Canada highway, reaching a speed of almost 300 kilometres per hour, has Saanich police looking for the dangerous driver.

The video, shot from a camera mounted on the front of the blue Yamaha bike, shows the driver speeding down the centre lane narrowly missing vehicles on either side. At one point, he revs up quickly and his speedometer reaches 299 km/h. Drivers on the road don’t even have time to change lanes to get out of his way.

The two-minute video was posted April 8 by a user calling themselves Joe Blow and has received more than 14,500 hits.

Saanich police received a call about it shortly after it was posted and have launched an investigation to try and find the driver.

Investigators believe the footage was shot a day or two before it was posted as the motorcyclist drove north from McKenzie Avenue to Millstream Road in Langford.

“I can’t find enough adjectives to describe how unacceptable this is,” said Saanich police spokesman Sgt. Dean Jantzen. “This is just, it’s so appalling.”

Jantzen said the driver is lucky he didn’t kill himself or others on the road.

The traffic officer leading the investigation is a motorcyclist himself and is extremely concerned about the message the video sends, making speeding look cool.

Jantzen said he’s pleased to see that many of the comments on the video are condemning the dangerous behaviour.

“All it would take is somebody to change lanes in front of him. poof... dead,” commented one viewer.

The driver could face several charges under the Motor Vehicle Act such as street racing or excessive speeding which could see the bike impounded, or he could face criminal charges of dangerous driving.

Saanich police are asking anyone who saw this blue Yamaha motorcycle to call them at 250-475-4321.

Warning do not try this. This video shows a motorcycle travelling along a Victoria highway hitting 299 km/h (186 mph). Luckily no one was hurt.

© Copyright © The Vancouver Sun

I drive a Kawasaki so it wasn't me.

Besides as skilled as he/she is. That's insane and it just would take one driver to miss him on a lane change..and the rider is not even going to have enough left for organ donation.

Clearly in the lower mainland and in the interior and on Vancouver Island, there needs to be more racetracks so folks like this can "get it out of their system", and ride as fast as they like and safely. (Mission really doesn't cut it)

I remember when my riding instructor was asking a rep from a Japanese motorcycle company on why they build race bikes for the street. He just said that's what the customers want, so they build them.

I used to do some crazy ass sheit when I was younger but nowhere near that crazy. I never put other people at risk either.

I grew up with a guy with the same death wish as this jackass and he ended up dying on the Coquihalla highway. He was the best driver I've ever seen, highly trained as well but he inherited a huge amount of money, bought and souped up a Porsche and turned himself into hamburger and a fine pink mist.

Archived