The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Jason Garrison

Canucks get Garrison for almost the exact cap hit that it would have cost to keep Salo and Rome.

He's a huge upgrade over Rome. He should play a lot more games than Salo. He's just now entering his prime, and should still have some potential room for development and improvement.

By no means a top 2 defensman, but a pretty good start on day 1!

Surprised he beat Juice's cap hit, interested to see what happens with Luo.. We have just over 5mil cap space. And hearing on here about Ballard maybe being moved. Interesting few days coming up..

He easily could have got more than 4.6, so props to him for that but i'm still not sold he's worth more than 3 mill. I don't care about his shot, he better be an absolute beast in our end, that's where we need improvement.

I would be concerned about the 6 year term as well, but I am not and here is why:

1. Garrison is a late bloomer, he didn't come into the league until he was 25 for all intents and purposes.

2. His statistical progression has been linear, and if any luck being surrounded by infinitely greater talent the trend continues.

3. The scouting staff must see something that we don't, given the fact we have very little in the way of Florida exposure.

4. Trust in Gillis, he has a plan.

Now he can feed off Edler and the Sedins on the power play, I guess. He is a two way defenceman, not a pure offence guy anyway. The 16 goals might be a one time thing, but he is a top 4 blueliner. That's what they needed and Gillis went and got it. You have to pay the price when competing with 29 other GMs for players.

Wow 6 years? Huge price to pay. Big risk but its something MG had to do to get Garrison to sign on the dotted line.

The $4.6 mill is OK. I would have preferred a higher cap hit but less term. something like $5 mill per year for 3 or 4 years.

Like I've been saying, first big contract for Garrison so can't hate him for cashing in. Hope he can keep playing like he played last year and earning his money.

Archived