The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NFL thread

Tony Romo

I've watched the replay of Marcus Williams' missed tackle over and over, and you can see he deliberately avoided Diggs by twisting his body, and I've come up with only 2 possible explanations:

• he got paid (implausible as the Saints have won it already; it would have to have been signalled to him at the last possible moment)
  • he didn't see the ball and thought he was going to get flagged for a defensive pass interference and so he tried to avoid hitting Diggs

Yup, just confirmed that avoiding the pass interference was exactly what he was trying to do: http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2018/01/read_steve_gleasons_supportive.html#incart_river_index. They got called for some stupid pass interference penalties in the first half and Payton probably told them to watch it.

Edited by vinny_in_vancouver

16 minutes ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

I've watched the replay of Marcus Williams' missed tackle over and over, and you can see he deliberately avoided Diggs by twisting his body, and I've come up with only 2 possible explanations:

• he got paid (implausible as the Saints have won it already; it would have to have been signalled to him at the last possible moment)
  • he didn't see the ball and thought he was going to get flagged for a defensive pass interference and so he tried to avoid hitting Diggs

Yup, just confirmed that avoiding the pass interference was exactly what he was trying to do: http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2018/01/read_steve_gleasons_supportive.html#incart_river_index. They got called for some stupid pass interference penalties in the first half and Payton probably told them to watch it.

I didn’t really care which team won, but that last play was kind of funny.  How is that guy going to face his teammates?  

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I didn’t really care which team won, but that last play was kind of funny.  How is that guy going to face his teammates?  

It sounds like he already explained his side (which the owner confirmed my guess). Basically, what happened was that the refs were calling some defensive pass interference on the Saints (at least one of which was questionable), and the New Orleans secondary were probably told the following:

1. all we need to do is make sure to tackle inbounds and there won't be any more time on the clock because the Vikings don't have any timeouts
  2. do NOT be called for defensive pass interference (if he had been flagged defensive pass interference on that play, then time stops and the kicker gets an easy kick)

The main mistake he made was that he originally wanted to deliver a big hit and what he should have done was to just stay close to his guy and when the guy lands, just wrap him up. Instead, he was already going for a big hit and then got scared about the pass interference and ended up avoiding the hit entirely.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Harvey Spector said:

Damn, I hope he gets the help he needs.

I hate when he says "Because it's going to be my last day on this pathetic planet. So why not take some innocent lives with me?" 

No matter how much I hated the world or felt wronged by it, I would never want to end someone's life, especially since they could be enjoying it more than me. Of course these individuals are different from the rest :(

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

What a great day of football. Both great games. Love the NFL. 

Now the Pats will beat the Jags by 10 next Sunday and go on to beat the Vikings in the Super Bowl. 

GOAT wants more and the GOAT gets what he wants. 

Patriots in the Super Bowl again?Probably only want to see that if you are a Patriots fan...

This whole playoffs the storyline is upsets and crazy unpredictable games.

I expect the trend to continue and for Bortles and the Jags to stun the Patriots as Belichick loses both McDaniels and Patricia in the offseason.

Jags vs Vikes Super bowl with Vikigs pulling it out by a FG at home.

3 hours ago, Harvey Spector said:

Case Keenum versus Nick Foles in the NFC final. Is this real life?  :o

After last year's Super Bowl I didn't think the NFL could top the crazy finishes.

Much needed Playoffs Frenzy after regular season was bogged down with talk of injuries protests and player safety not to mention boring games that were one sided in prime time mostly.

Either Nick Foles or Case Keenum will start a Super Bowl in 3 weeks. One guy is a career backup having a career year the other guy almost retired from football after his Rams Jeff Fisher experience.

Any chance Jeff Fisher had at a coaching job should be gone now with all 3 of his QBs making the playoffs and 1 makes the big game and goes all the way.

DTi3o-zVoAAgutS?format=jpg

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

After last year's Super Bowl I didn't think the NFL could top the crazy finishes.

Much needed Playoffs Frenzy after regular season was bogged down with talk of injuries protests and player safety not to mention boring games that were one sided in prime time mostly.

Either Nick Foles or Case Keenum will start a Super Bowl in 3 weeks. One guy is a career backup having a career year the other guy almost retired from football after his Rams Jeff Fisher experience.

Any chance Jeff Fisher had at a coaching job should be gone now with all 3 of his QBs making the playoffs and 1 makes the big game and goes all the way.

DTi3o-zVoAAgutS?format=jpg

Gotta love those old Rams throwback uniforms...  :)

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Green Building said:

Lol, Bridgewater and Wentz too.

Don't forget Sam Bradford. Eagles traded him to Vikes when Bridgewater went down. Wentz got hurt vs the Rams. Goff shares same agent as Wentz they went #1 and #2.

Jeff Fisher was a d coordinator in Philly under buddy Ryan.

The Rams-Vikings-Eagles connections are crazy.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

Don't forget Sam Bradford. Eagles traded him to Vikes when Bridgewater went down. Wentz got hurt vs the Rams. Goff shares same agent as Wentz they went #1 and #2.

Jeff Fisher was a d coordinator in Philly under buddy Ryan.

The Rams-Vikings-Eagles connections are crazy.

Yep, only reason I didn't mention him was because he was on the bench, but yeah he's right in there. After the year of injuries the league had it would be awesome to have a back up/replacement QB win it all. 

3 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

Patriots in the Super Bowl again?Probably only want to see that if you are a Patriots fan...

This whole playoffs the storyline is upsets and crazy unpredictable games.

I expect the trend to continue and for Bortles and the Jags to stun the Patriots as Belichick loses both McDaniels and Patricia in the offseason.

Jags vs Vikes Super bowl with Vikigs pulling it out by a FG at home.

Yes Chip, big Pats fan here of course. 

The two assistants are gone. Indy and Detroit seem to be the destinations. 

My better half who's a huge NFL fan because she started watching with me several years ago makes the same prediction as you. Heck it's funny sometimes a friend of mine will start talking football and she'll know almost everything about every team and it's kinda embarrassing. But i see it coming every time. Usually the friend starts changing the subject or gets real quiet after a few minutes.

So you may be right because she knows a lot about the NFL as you do, I know this because you are a regular in this thread and I read your posts.

But i disagree. Brady has one more Super Bowl win in him and this is the year. 

• Upvote 1

HAHA #$%^ing Steelers, I can't stand them.  They wouldn't shut up about facing the Pats and getting 'revenge' in the AFC title game, just one little problem...  And lol at Mike Mitchell(who?) a safety for the Steelers who goes over to the Jags locker room and says "Y'all gonna know my name!".  A.J. Boyle responded after the game "He doesn't really do much, except for talk.  So he said we're going to know his name.  I still don't remember his name.  I know it's Mike something.  He'll be watching us next week." "You can't say they were a great team because they got their ass whipped again." Marcell Dareus.  God I hate that franchise, steriodgate and two of the worse officiated SB wins over Seattle and Arizona.  I wont even go into their QB and his off field transgressions.  @#$% em

Wow, cannot believe that Diggs TD, craziest finish ever.  Throws a wrench into my predicted SB final, oh well.  IIRC from playing MAdden that Williams for the Saints is the youngest player in the league(or one of the youngest),  20yo when the season started.  Tough break, but I guess I can see trying to not take a penalty there.  Jeez, I hate to see my team lose like that.  Oh well, feel good for the 100yo granny if she's still kicking it after that finish.

Conference title game predictions:

A Viking can kill an eagle with a bow, A patriot can kill a jaguar with his musket.  MIN vs. NE SB Final.  These predictions are fool-proof.