The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NFL thread

Tony Romo

4 minutes ago, Jägermeister said:

Reportedly a 3rd round pick coming back to the Pats.  From an outsider this looks like an absolutely boneheaded move.

Dare I say the Pats just got fleeced in a trade... by the Browns!!??

Maybe can't afford to re-sign him so they dealt him before losing him ?

Edited by Madness

57 minutes ago, Madness said:

Maybe can't afford to re-sign him so they dealt him before losing him ?

That's the only thing I can think of, but as a team that obviously has Super Bowl aspirations this year, it doesn't really make a lot of sense in my opinion.  3rd round picks are valuable, and I guess the Pat's would rather have the pick than play his contract out, but that would still be a hard trade to swallow if I were a Pats fan.  

Same thought process as the Jones trade. Pats come to a realization they won't be able to compete with free agency $ so get something rather than walking away empty handed. 

...came out of left field tbh. Thought Jones being dealt was going to be enough to keep the 3 headed monster together. Clearly not. I mean I'm certain they'll move out Amendola or at least they'll restructure his current contract to save a few dollars there. Oh well. BB has always liked Hightower over Collins being the more well rounded DB and the leader of that defense doing the playcalling. Not surprised if it had to come to picking one it'd be Hightower. Just surprised it actually came down to having to pick one of the two after having traded away Jones.

Maybe this opens up the cap space needed to retain Bennett. In which case I don't mind - considering Brady's age, surrounding him with quality pieces like that will go a long ways in helping maintaining his longevity. We have some solid LB depth even after this trade. Collins been underperforming this year (+ being injured) as well as that defense in general so BB decided to talk with actions. This will surely be a wake up call to everyone on the team lol. And feel for Jamie. Best team to worst, just like that. Wasn't as fortunate as Jones was. At least he'll get his contract tho but damn.

At the end of the day we would've got a compensatory 3rd rounder regardless if Collins left but it would have been in 2018. This fast forwards the pick by a year and is essentially a 2nd rounder (Browns early 3rd). Not to mention Pats traded for Kyle Van Noy last week who's essentially an Akeem Ayers type player. Roberts has been playing impressive too so I don't see a problem with this. Manageable. 

Edited by TheRussianRocket.

10 minutes ago, Jiggs50 said:

Was Jamie Collins not the best Pats defender? That is a little shocking. But considering the dough he was gonna ask for it totally makes sense BB would do that. 

Watch the last 2 games. Worst linebacker of the 4. First Buffalo play went for 28 yards because Collins thinks he can play a different scheme than what Patricia called out to the rest of the defense. Sold high on a guy who was becoming liable. Last year and starting off this year he was an absolute stud, but has started to regress and with a 15 million franchise tag coming up, better to get a late 2nd (come on, it's the Browns 3rd) for him than nothing. This is where the acquisition of Mingo comes in huge. 

26 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Watch the last 2 games. Worst linebacker of the 4. First Buffalo play went for 28 yards because Collins thinks he can play a different scheme than what Patricia called out to the rest of the defense. Sold high on a guy who was becoming liable. Last year and starting off this year he was an absolute stud, but has started to regress and with a 15 million franchise tag coming up, better to get a late 2nd (come on, it's the Browns 3rd) for him than nothing. This is where the acquisition of Mingo comes in huge. 

lol, he's not terrible all of a sudden cmon hahaha.

He's a special player and an absolute freak athlete. Players react differently when it comes to contract years so there's that + having been injured. Sure he's looked out of place this year (inconsistent) but that doesn't neglect the great player he's shown he is. He's the best LB who can drop into converage in the league statistically and that's what I'm going to miss the most - the freak athlete side to him. Can line up on the line, LB, or drop back. Insane flexibility with him. 

Not a bad trade now knowing Pats wouldn't have been able sign him. Something's always better than nothing, and the Pats got something so w/e it is what it is. All I'm saying is it's manageable for the Pats with the depth they have (Hightower/Roberts/Mingo/Ninkovich/Noy/Sheard) as they lost a heck of a talent.

Edited by TheRussianRocket.

36 minutes ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

lol, he's not terrible all of a sudden cmon hahaha.

He's a special player and an absolute freak athlete. Players react differently when it comes to contract years so there's that + having been injured. Sure he's looked out of place this year (inconsistent) but that doesn't neglect the great player he's shown he is. He's the best LB who can drop into converage in the league statistically and that's what I'm going to miss the most - the freak athlete side to him. Can line up on the line, LB, or drop back. Insane flexibility with him. 

Not a bad trade now knowing Pats wouldn't have been able sign him. Something's always better than nothing, and the Pats got something so w/e it is what it is. All I'm saying is it's manageable for the Pats with the depth they have (Hightower/Roberts/Mingo/Ninkovich/Noy/Sheard) as they lost a heck of a talent.

He's not terrible all of a sudden. I said out of the 4, he's been the worst of the 4 lately, and is regressing. Whether that's still a nagging injury, or he just disagrees with the playbook, who knows. But for 2 games now he's played 50% of the snaps or just around that.

Edit: I love Collins and am sad about the trade, but objectively it makes sense. I still would've rather kept him for a SB run and let him walk if he wants to walk, it'd be a compensatory 3rd round pick in 2018 anyways if he walked. 

Edited by NucksPatsFan

3 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

He's not terrible all of a sudden. I said out of the 4, he's been the worst of the 4 lately, and is regressing. Whether that's still a nagging injury, or he just disagrees with the playbook, who knows. But for 2 games now he's played 50% of the snaps or just around that.

Edit: I love Collins and am sad about the trade, but objectively it makes sense. I still would've rather kept him for a SB run and let him walk if he wants to walk, it'd be a compensatory 3rd round pick in 2018 anyways if he walked. 

Agree with you.  As a Broncos fan, I'm happy to see this trade.  Browns are going to have to overpay to sign him anyways so this deal doesn't really make sense for them either.  Maybe Dallas can convince them to trade for Romo while they're at it?

Don't we still have to re-up Butler's contract too? If he was asking for Von Miller money, he sure wasn't showing any signs of earning that amount despite what he has done in the past. Still have to perform game in game out. I'm definitely going to miss his versatility on the defence but it'll work itself out.