The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NFL thread

Tony Romo

keep making excuses and rationalizing clowns who piss away a golden ticket. If the nfl gave a damn about these guys they would help them but they just churn out another and make another buck.

The nfl is going to crap right now its not just roster fillers too two star players arrested in days and you find nothing wrong? Either you're blind or ignorant.

The NFL exercised futility by trying to be babysitters for adults.

Clearly you're the ignorant one if you think this is 1) the job of the NFL to police all its players off the field, and 2) that controlling that many adults/celebrities is in the realm of reasonably possible.

The NFL is a football league.. football is not going to crap. This is what people who are too influenced by the media say. Congrats on making a big deal out of something that's a non issue.

If this is the kind of entertainment you enjoy giving so much attention to I'd suggest the WWE.

Edited by Mr. Ambien

Clearly you're the ignorant one if you think this is 1) the job of the NFL to police all its players off the field, and 2) that controlling that many adults/celebrities is in the realm of reasonably possible.

The NFL is a football league.. football is not going to crap. This is what people who are too influenced by the media say. Congrats on making a big deal out of something that's a non issue.

If this is the kind of entertainment you enjoy giving so much attention to I'd suggest the WWE.

Dude, you're missing the boat. It doesn't matter. The NFL and all leagues can easily let players handle their problems on their own but it has a direct relationship between the locker room and player. To have all that ruckus whether it be with the media, teammates, coz aches, league...you just don't leave guy like that in a professional league, it'd tarnish that specific league big time.

Peterson used the switch on his 4-year old's genitals. Internet tough guys still fine with this? smh

The league isn't going to crap - but it's still bad publicity. I don't think anyone can deny that.

The league isn't going to crap - but it's still bad publicity. I don't think anyone can deny that.

It is.. however it's not the league's fault the media suddenly felt like putting them under a microscope. The media is already pissed because the league didn't bow down to their Redskins diatribe. They want more control over the league.. there's no one in their right mind that thinks these issues are something the league can solve.

Dude, you're missing the boat. It doesn't matter. The NFL and all leagues can easily let players handle their problems on their own but it has a direct relationship between the locker room and player. To have all that ruckus whether it be with the media, teammates, coz aches, league...you just don't leave guy like that in a professional league, it'd tarnish that specific league big time.

Peterson used the switch on his 4-year old's genitals. Internet tough guys still fine with this? smh

Yeah internet tough guys totally okay with child abuse. Kid just needs to lift more.

I really have no idea where you come up with this stuff but I'm sure the media would dig that argument.

It is.. however it's not the league's fault the media suddenly felt like putting them under a microscope. The media is already pissed because the league didn't bow down to their Redskins diatribe. They want more control over the league.. there's no one in their right mind that thinks these issues are something the league can solve.

Yeah internet tough guys totally okay with child abuse. Kid just needs to lift more.

I really have no idea where you come up with this stuff but I'm sure the media would dig that argument.

That same media is part of the reason the league is worth billions tho. Have to take the good with the bad.

You know how many NFL players there are? They average 2-3 years per career.

Each NFL team in the preseason starts with roughly 90 players. That's nearly 3,000 NFL players during the preseason.

224 drafted and ~ 50 undrafted players per year enter the league, so around 4,000 more players over 15 seasons.

So ~ 10% of NFL players since 2000 have been arrested.

There's around 12 million arrests on average per year in the US, ~ 45% is considered the rough US recidivist rate.

So that's 55% of new arrests per year. At nearly 100 million, that means between 2000 and the end of this year, you're looking at around 30-40% of Americans who were arrested in that time.

Around 30-40% of Americans arrested in this time vs. Around 10% of NFL players in the same period.

I like those rates. It seems NFL players are much more law abiding than the average American.

Of course, logic will take a back seat to this imaginative view that NFL players are superhuman.

Bad comparison, the vast majority of arrests in America occur when the arrestee is a lot younger than the average NFL player. Most kids have that out of their systems by the time they are even NFL draft age, let alone a professional in their chosen field.

Edited by Amish Rake Fighter

Bad comparison, the vast majority of arrests in America occur when the arrestee is a lot younger than the average NFL player. Most kids have that out of their systems by the time they are even NFL draft age, let alone a professional in their chosen field.

Bad comparison? When the crime rate barely drops off from 23 all the way until 30 and the average NFL tenure is 2-3 years, it looks like a pretty good comparison to me.

You really believe NFL players just started committing crimes out of the blue?

Edited by Mr. Ambien

Here's what I think. I think the NFL has to set an example in how they address this crap because it's unacceptable. But here's the other thing - happens every day and awareness that is generated should remind us that:

1) it's not ok to strike others, ESPECIALLY women and children

2. football players are people. We put them on pedestals like they're Gods (we do that with athletes) but they're human beings like the rest of us and don't deserve special treatment

3) help is out there

• Upvote 1

Bad comparison? When the crime rate barely drops off from 23 all the way until 30 and the average NFL tenure is 2-3 years, it looks like a pretty good comparison to me.

You really believe NFL players just started committing crimes out of the blue?

Do you really think there isn't a massive arrest rate drop off in the years leading up to NFL draft age among Americans?

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/additional-ucr-publications/age_race_arrest93-01.pdf

And if you carry the drop off up to the average age of an NFL player, around 27 years old, the comparison gets even worse.

Edited by Amish Rake Fighter

Do you really think there isn't a massive arrest rate drop off in the years leading up to NFL draft age among Americans?

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/additional-ucr-publications/age_race_arrest93-01.pdf

And if you carry the drop off up to the average age of an NFL player, around 27 years old, the comparison gets even worse.

While you're right, and only right, about people in their late teens committing more crimes, in that 2000 and 2001 source of yours it's a 23-27% drop from 23 to 29. There's a small difference from late college into the pro's.

It would be great if you'd stop exaggerating.

It's also worth reiterating that the figure I got was roughly 10% of NFL players that have come and gone in the NFL are criminals according to the USA Today link, which is a fraction of the normal population. I think it was very shady that the USA Today only reported 700 and did not put the number into context -- it's clear what purpose that attempted to serve.

You'd have to enlighten me what your expectations are.

Edited by Mr. Ambien

I don't follow why people think the league is in such a wreck.

Most of this news has virtually nothing to do with actual football on the field.

This is what happens when the NFL tries to take on the responsibility of personal life nanny. Just leave it to the government to worry about punishing people for criminal behaviour, and worry about your product on the field FFS. I personally don't care if Rice or Peterson are/aren't on the field, someone will be.

As soon as the league started marketing their players as role models and hero figures then their off field conduct became important.

• Upvote 1

Mark my word, by the time the Rice issue is resolved, all the other major sports leagues will have a zero tolerance program drawn up by their league officials. Surprised its taken them all so long, thus far.

The players represent their brand, and they damn well better insure that none of those players are giving their respective leagues bad publicity. If I'm a major sponsor, I'm demanding this take place as well.

Ambien is right. Statistics show that NFL players are less inclined to this sort of violent behavior than the average American citizen is. While we all deplore the actions of Peterson and Rice, we can't be painting the entire league with the same brush. The vast majority of NFL players are not like this.

The problem is, the high profile nature of these incidents make it seem worse than it is. The Aaron Hernandez and Michael Vick stories are plastered all over the news for months...then you have Paxico Burress accidentally shooting himself and the entire league gets a black eye.

That being said, with an organization that is in the public eye so much, the league has to consider the optics of the situation and at least appear to care. For better or worse, NFL players are role models and the league has to show young people who may be influenced by their behavior that such actions are unacceptable.

Actually addressing the root causes of these incidents may be jut too tall an order for a for profit organization to accomplish. In light of that, fines and suspensions will be handed down if for nothing more than to keep up appearances.

• Upvote 1