The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CFL/BC Lions Thread

Shift-4

6 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Personally, I'd take Kaep in a heartbeat, if and when Travis decides to hang em up. (or gets injured again) Huge upgrade over JJ and I don't care if he does a Black Panther salute after every completion.

Well the Lions are going to need some replacement for Travis in a couple of years, barring injury, as it is,

3 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Fair, but you do know the history and reason though why they do play it right? As someone as myself who didn't grow up back then, I see why they do it, I also used to say it seems like a waste before every game, but when I realized why it originally started I understand the reasoning, which also helps educates different generations to find out why they do it, even if they haven't experienced a World War before.

Meh. I don't need to hear a song to know what went on in the 1910's, or the '30's and '40's....

This whole idea of tying the anthem to the military is hackneyed, IMHO.

2 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Meh. I don't need to hear a song to know what went on in the 1910's, or the '30's and '40's....

1941-42: Playing the national anthem before the start of regular season baseball games became the standard. And with the U.S. in World War II now, the National Football League also included the playing of the anthem before games

Not really it was implemented in WW2 to show the respect to their soldiers in war fighting for their country, and losing their lives for their country, now that I know the actual history for it I respect it more, as much as it annoys me, it's to show respect to the many who died for their country, I don't see anything wrong with that.

5 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Getting rid of anthems would perhaps be the beginning of getting rid of nations. Which may not be a bad thing.

3 hours ago, gurn said:

Well the Lions are going to need some replacement for Travis in a couple of years, barring injury, as it is,

They already have a replacement for lulay and JJ .....Ricky Lloyd  

He had a great preseason, but cause we have lulay and JJ, but next year......i have a feeling JJ wont be here, and i hope harvey trades for either Nichols or Reilly ...both QB's need a fresh new home, esp if edmon doesnt make the playoffs they will be house cleaning

3 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

You sure you're not just supporting the Canucks and their colors instead.....

i dont wear canucks clothing, i support em by going to games and watching them on TV :P , seahawks cause i cant go to the games, i can only watch em when they on TV....plus i love the seahawk colors and logo and love tyler lockett ( have his jersey )

On 10/20/2018 at 3:15 AM, Dave "The Hammer" Schultz said:

I stopped watching the NFL games cause of this idiot, i really hope he doesnt.

Its gone on long enough, and enough is enough with this guy, just glad i dont have to hear his name anymore, esp when it only appears in the NFL......

I still love the seahawks and i show my support wearing there colors and clothing ......

You stopped watching NFL games because of a guy who hasn't been in the NFL year for 4 years?

"Enough is enough with this guy". Is that going to be Trump's 2020 slogan? 

• Haha 1

On 27/10/2018 at 4:21 PM, YummyCakeFace said:

I’m trying to watch the Lions / Riders game but having a hard time. It’s so bad. The CFL is terrible. Two and out, two and out, two and out. 

I've always thought keeping all the rule changes the same (to keep tradition) and just adding 1 extra down would be a brilliant move to draw more people to the game. You could probably also add a couple teams in northern American towns that don't have an NFL team like in Idaho and Montana. But the CFL doesn't care about growing, unless it's just adding back teams to Ottawa. 

1 hour ago, NucksPatsFan said:

I've always thought keeping all the rule changes the same (to keep tradition) and just adding 1 extra down would be a brilliant move to draw more people to the game. You could probably also add a couple teams in northern American towns that don't have an NFL team like in Idaho and Montana. But the CFL doesn't care about growing, unless it's just adding back teams to Ottawa. 

Beep off with the four down crap. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Suffice to say that the CFL is still scarred by the rendition of "O Canada" during a CFL game in Las Vegas.  

5 hours ago, Lancaster said:

Suffice to say that the CFL is still scarred by the rendition of "O Canada" during a CFL game in Las Vegas.  

It was actually "O Christmas Tree"....just with some of the "O Canada" lyrics. It was kind of like a Weird Al song, but sad, rather than funny...B)

• Cheers 1

On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 12:11 PM, RUPERTKBD said:

Wouldn't bother my in the slightest.

As far as I'm concerned, the national anthem before sporting events is a waste of time and I usually flip the channel. (unless it's Mark Donnelly....then I watch to see if he's going to trip over something while he's singing)

If it were up to me, the only time we'd here the Canadian National anthem, is after yet another Olympic gold medal...

My thoughts exactly. I once read a fun fact thing once where the question was, "Why is the national anthem sung before sporting events?"

And the answer was: "No one knows".

• Cheers 1