The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What would it take for Bettman to finally be fired?

brenbowa

Bettman is the most identifiable icon in the game of hockey - and that's just plain sad.

A lockout has become his perennial bargaining power play - and that's completely unacceptable.

To top it off, this current dysfunction is being spoken to with a smug kind of arrogance that does nothing but breed disrespect for the management side of the game and conversely shows next to no respect for the clients/customers/fans of the game.

Time for a fresh start - and good timing for him to drop off his resume at NBA headquarters...

The owners dont 'owe' the players anything. The CBA is up. They actually dont work for the NHL anymore. Thats why they are locked out.

The NHLPA is out of a job. They need to get it back. The owners dont have to do anything. IN fact, they should simply get replacement players , start a new union, and keep drafting and permanently ban the current players unless they are willing to leave the NHLPA and join the new union.

The owners dont 'owe' the players anything. The CBA is up. They actually dont work for the NHL anymore. Thats why they are locked out.

The NHLPA is out of a job. They need to get it back. The owners dont have to do anything. IN fact, they should simply get replacement players , start a new union, and keep drafting and permanently ban the current players unless they are willing to leave the NHLPA and join the new union.

After 3 lockouts and the NHL and its reputation falling faster by the second, how could anyone possibly want to keep this guy employed any longer. Some say that its not Bettman's fault that he is only doing what the owners tell him and if that is true than why do you need to spend 8 million a year on a hand puppet. I am positive that if the owners come to their senses and fire Buttman and replace him with a guy like Gretzky there would be a deal done within a week.

There seems to me a delusion that Bettman has that the NHLPA will break if he holds his breath long enough. But realistically the Union has much more solidarity than the last lockout and with the proper revenue sharing proposal that Fehr and the PA gave the NHL someone will have to decide who's to blame for all of this. Last time the players gave back everything to the owners and the system that Bettman drew up and failed yet again. The only teams that get any money from the NHL are the failed markets that idiots like Bettman put in the first place. But teams like Anahiem, StL,Isles or teams in large markets get nothing which is completely unfair.

If Bettman had any brains he would try to negotiate a one year deal to save the season and try to get some more time to fix things otherwise you are going to lose the rest of the US market and will only have Canada left and even that will be tenuous at best.

I actually think that the longer this goes on that the likely hood of him 'retiring' is going to increase. There must be a lot of owners who are unhappy with what has gone on here.

Bettman has played things rather poorly this last few weeks and my guess is that the players are willing to not play for a whole year and perhaps even longer just to not give Bettman the victory he wants. Bettman has i think backed himself into a corner and this could really be the beginning of his demise.

I actually think that the longer this goes on that the likely hood of him 'retiring' is going to increase. There must be a lot of owners who are unhappy with what has gone on here.

Bettman has played things rather poorly this last few weeks and my guess is that the players are willing to not play for a whole year and perhaps even longer just to not give Bettman the victory he wants. Bettman has i think backed himself into a corner and this could really be the beginning of his demise.

You seem stuck on the 8 owner deal. That only applies to an offer from the NHLPA that Bettman declines outright. If 23 of the 30 owners agree to an offer Bettman has said no to they overrule him. In any other case a standard majority is sufficient.

You don't think Bettman is fully aware of what the majority of owners want out of this negotiation? He's not going to call the owners in to peruse every offer the NHLPA makes. An offer will have to be in the ballpark of what the owners are looking for before Bettman will take it to them. Really that 8 owners is just a safeguard that if the owners decide to crumble to the NHLPA it takes a 75% vote to do so.

I find the suggestion that division amongst ownership a likely resolution of this dispute highly unlikely. I think ownership is far more united than the NHLPA. In fact the players had better hope that is the case. I would think that if ownership did crumble the fallout would be severe for the NHL as a whole. It could mean a revised business plan that could undermine many franchises and not just the weak southern ones. Players should be asking themselves what this would mean to them. A gate driven revenue system? Fewer teams?

Believe me, I'm not suggesting the owners will crumble. I'm just explaining to Clutch that the 8 owners behind Bettman situation only applies to overruling Bettman discarding an NHLPA offer. Nothing else. He, and several others, seem rather obsessed with this whole "Bettman only needs 8 owners behind him" thing.

If Bettman gets what the owners want why would they get rid of him? Why would they be angry with him for doing what they wanted? Bettman has only backed himself into the corner the owners have created for him. He doesn't run things as he sees fit. He does what the majority of owners want him to do.

Bettman has transformed a miilion dollar business into a billion dollar business. Why the hell would the owners fire him?

At the begining of the lockout, I thought Bettman was to blame. Mob-mentality, I guess. But after seeing everything unflold and educating myself far more thoroughly on the whole process, I'm less prone to point the finger at Bettman. I think the Fehr brothers should shoulder most of the blame for this mess. The players knew exactly what they were getting themselves into, when they fired Kelly and hired Fehr, and now we're in for a long winter.

Let me turn this around. Maybe someone with better business and marketing sense could make the league have larger revenue.

Look at the money the OWNERS are losing in a crap market of Phoenix. Take Gary's ego out of the equation the team would be in Ontario right now and the league owners wouldn't be out money. He also signs with NBC a network that cuts off playoff games to show horse racing. HORSE RACING!!!! No...having ESPN as a partner wouldn't help the NHL's image at all. It's only on every basic TV package in the US. Even being on ESPN2 would be a plus.

Bettman is not an empty vessel that channels the wishes of the owners through him. He is put in charge of the business and is for the most part given a free hand to run it. As long as things go well he is left alone.

What is more the owners are more of a collection of people with both similar and conflicting interests rather than some well run unified board room. What this means is that there is great potential for people to manipulate processes and so forth. All of this is evident in the fact that a number of owners have indicated that they have no idea what is going on.

I would suggest that teams like the Nucks are probably very unhappy with Bettman and his negotiating crew. They are a well managed team and a good money making one. What is coming out of this for them is simply loss of revenue and an aggravated fan base. This latter will result in people buying less or none nuck products for the short term.

Bettman, like anybody else in management, is given goals to achieve. He doesn't simply do as he pleases. That is how managers get fired. As it's a majority rules league. As long as Bettman pleases the majority he will have a job.

Are all the owners on the same page? Unlikely. The money owners likely don't want the lockout, but they also know what's best for the league as a whole.

I'd wager Acquilini is quite happy with Bettmans performance. It's more likely the money losing owners he's not particularly happy with.

Archived