The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Will the canucks have a chance at #1 Draft pick?

tmak01

Sedins were 99, Nathan Smith was 2000. So we drafted 2 busts 12 drafts.

How do we compare to similar teams?

Nashville - 2 busts (Finley, Parent)

St. Louis - 3 busts (Schwarz, Taffe, Belle)

LA - 4 busts (Hickey, Lewis, Tukonen, Karlsson )

Boston - 4 busts (Hamill, Lashoff, Toivonen, Jonsson)

San Jose - 4 busts (Wishart, Kaspar, Morris, Jilsson)

Sedins were 99, Nathan Smith was 2000. So we drafted 2 busts 12 drafts.

How do we compare to similar teams?

Nashville - 2 busts (Finley, Parent)

St. Louis - 3 busts (Schwarz, Taffe, Belle)

LA - 4 busts (Hickey, Lewis, Tukonen, Karlsson )

Boston - 4 busts (Hamill, Lashoff, Toivonen, Jonsson)

San Jose - 4 busts (Wishart, Kaspar, Morris, Jilsson)

Errr Marek SCHWARZ not Jaden SCHWARTZ. The Marek Schwarz who bounced between the ECHL and AHL before going to the Czech Republic and skipping a few seasons. 17th overall in 2004. Next goalie picked was Cory Schneider.

I am surprised nobody figured that out, I guess the flame wagon looked too fun.

Trevor Lewis is borderline, at least he made the NHL and is a solid checking line player but 7 goals over 155 games for a 17th overall pick isn't spectacular. I debated putting him on there.

with the 2005 lottery rules in effect this is how it would go:

Each team begins with three balls in the lottery barrel. For every playoff appearance in the last three years or No. 1 overall pick over the last four years, a team loses one ball.

3 ball teams

CALGARY

DALLAS

TORONTO

COLUMBUS

WINNIPEG

CAROLINA

MINNESOTA

2 ball teams

NY ISLANDERS

ANAHEIM

COLORADO

ST. LOUIS

TAMPA BAY

FLORIDA

1 ball teams

EDMONTON

PITTSBURGH

PHILADELPHIA

BOSTON

WASHINGTON

NY RANGERS

VANCOUVER

SAN JOSE

DETROIT

NASHVILLE

PHOENIX

LOS ANGELES

CHICAGO

NEW JERSEY

BUFFALO

OTTAWA

MONTRÉAL

That means we'd have a 1 in 50 (2%) chance to get 1st overall...

Poor choices? LOL

Looking at our 1st round picks since 2000, our track record looks pretty great.

2000 - Nathan Smith (BUST)

2001 - RJ Umberger (6 time 20 goal scorer, but did not develop with VAN)

2002 - No 1st Rounder

2003 - Ryan Kesler (2nd line centre Selke winner)

2004 - Cory Schneider (One of the best young goaltenders in the league)

2005 - Luc Bourdon (Would have been a top 4 defender had the tragic accident not happened, RIP)

2006 - Michael Grabner (Developed with VAN, but wasn't in proper shape, this was admitted by Grabner himself)

2007 - Patrick White (BUST)

2008 - Cody Hodgson (Developed by VAN, traded due to drama issues, got a top power forward prospect in return)

2009 - Jordan Schroeder (Ranked as a top 5 North American prospect, should have been a steal at 22)

2010 - No 1st Rounder

2011 - Nicklas Jensen (Leading scorer on SEL team)

2012 - Brendan Gaunce (One of the draft's most NHL ready prospects, lots of defensive potential)

Man, our first round drafting and development just SUCKSSSSS.

with the 2005 lottery rules in effect this is how it would go:

Each team begins with three balls in the lottery barrel. For every playoff appearance in the last three years or No. 1 overall pick over the last four years, a team loses one ball.

3 ball teams

CALGARY

DALLAS

TORONTO

COLUMBUS

WINNIPEG

CAROLINA

MINNESOTA

2 ball teams

NY ISLANDERS

ANAHEIM

COLORADO

ST. LOUIS

TAMPA BAY

FLORIDA

1 ball teams

EDMONTON

PITTSBURGH

PHILADELPHIA

BOSTON

WASHINGTON

NY RANGERS

VANCOUVER

SAN JOSE

DETROIT

NASHVILLE

PHOENIX

LOS ANGELES

CHICAGO

NEW JERSEY

BUFFALO

OTTAWA

MONTRÉAL

That means we'd have a 1 in 50 (2%) chance to get 1st overall...

I just hope we take a real scorer with wherever we're picking. Supposed to be be a deeper draft for forwards and heaven knows we need elite scoring prospects. Not aiming for the sky here, but better than PPG in the CHL during and following the draft year would be a nice change.

Regarding Lou, if there's no meanigfull return that we'll help us now, MG should go with the best pick he can get for him. With Hank, Daniel, and Burr all around 33, and Kess' long-term health a question mark, it ain't gonne be pretty in couple of years.

I just hope we take a real scorer with wherever we're picking. Supposed to be be a deeper draft for forwards and heaven knows we need elite scoring prospects. Not aiming for the sky here, but better than PPG in the CHL during and following the draft year would be a nice change.

Poor choices? LOL

Looking at our 1st round picks since 2000, our track record looks pretty great.

2000 - Nathan Smith (BUST)

2001 - RJ Umberger (6 time 20 goal scorer, but did not develop with VAN)

2002 - No 1st Rounder

2003 - Ryan Kesler (2nd line centre Selke winner)

2004 - Cory Schneider (One of the best young goaltenders in the league)

2005 - Luc Bourdon (Would have been a top 4 defender had the tragic accident not happened, RIP)

2006 - Michael Grabner (Developed with VAN, but wasn't in proper shape, this was admitted by Grabner himself)

2007 - Patrick White (BUST)

2008 - Cody Hodgson (Developed by VAN, traded due to drama issues, got a top power forward prospect in return)

2009 - Jordan Schroeder (Ranked as a top 5 North American prospect, should have been a steal at 22)

2010 - No 1st Rounder

2011 - Nicklas Jensen (Leading scorer on SEL team)

2012 - Brendan Gaunce (One of the draft's most NHL ready prospects, lots of defensive potential)

Man, our first round drafting and development just SUCKSSSSS.

I don't think Kassian is a top power forward prospect yet. He's still got issues with consistency and has yet to prove to me that he can become a Todd Bertuzzi like player. He has lots to prove and I hope he does prove that he was worth it for Hodgson. Or else, he might be one of the Canucks that I dislike, like MayRay. For the love of God please don't give it to Calgary or Minnesota. I wouldn't mind if Toronto or Winnipeg got #1 overall and picked MacKinnon :) Any one but them.

with regards to the 30 balls in a cage draft pick, I'd rather do what I suggested in that draft pick thread: the 14 non-playoff teams all get 1 ball, and the top 5 picks are chosen at random from those 14 teams. then the remainder of the picks are chosen as they currently are, based on final standings. that way it helps keep the parity, worst teams still get high picks (guaranteed 6-10 for the 5 worst teams, with potential for higher), but it still gives the bubble teams a chance to land a prospect that could push them over the top so they can start making the playoffs. and I'd make sure the pick process was made by the american lottery commission with one of those automatic ball tumblers shown live on TV. that way the potential for "fixing" would be minimized (american don't really care about what team gets first overall, and they wouldn't risk trying to fix it, otherwise their credibility for their real lottery business would be questioned.

Archived