The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

Turtles: 7/10

Impressed with amped-up Shredder skills and outfit. Not so impressed with revised backstory, but the original backstory was not without holes. At least the turtles are still mutants and not aliens.

Kids absolutely loved it, so it was a win.

The Machine: 5/10

Weird B+ movie starring a bond villain and some british babe as an android. Some interesting effects are showed off along with some curves. But some real cheesy parts, writing and acting.

Lucy: 6/10

Some major holes in the plot keep this down and the movie seems to encourage ODing on drugs to get ahead in life. Similar to that movie with The Hangover guy, but with no 'be careful about drugs' message.

Johansen's monotone and emotionless acting style: Starting to think it's not deliberate.

Also says that God is essentially a really smart human. I found that to be very arrogant.

Epic - 7/10

Was not bad, honestly. Great animation. Enjoyed watching it. A lot more than i thought i would. It just felt likeable.

But the underlying message of it was a bit troubling. For a kid it's abour loyalty, family, and chasing your dreams. What i saw though was a movie about enabling delusions, where you have a man that destroyed his career, his marriage, and completely alienated his daughter, all because he dedicated his life and attention to chasing miniature people in the forest. The movie was just like, "it's okay, because they're real."

Suspicion - 9.5/10

1941 Hitchcock film. Loved, loved, loved it. Hadn't seen it before and it literally had me the wife and I guessing up until the end. And again, I love Cary Grant, so the film was already worth watching from the get go.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Locke - 7.5/10

Tom Hardy is the shiz and acted the crap out of his role.

Long story short, great story about the cost of doing the right thing.

The Beaver - 7/10

A little heavy-handed at times, but overall a good flick. About dealing with depression, and the dangers of some coping mechanisms.

There wasn't much humour...other than the part when Jodie Foster had sex scenes with Mel Gibson wearing the puppet, and I piped up about her going crazy for anyone with a beaver.

• Upvote 1

Captain America: The Winter Soldier - 8.5/10

Solid action movie that was enjoyable from beginning to end even though nothing really stood out for me. Didn't find the plot twists too surprising but it maybe because I stumbled upon them on a movie site. However action was executed nicely and the characters are fun to watch especially Chris Evans who has done a lot better than I expected as Cap

X-Men: Days of Future Past - 9.5/10

Maybe a bit too generous in the rating cause I saw it on the big screen and its been a while since I been to a movie theatre. However, its still a great action film. The plot can be confusing at times because of the time travel and some of the action scenes could've been executed better, but its really entertaining from start to finish and the main actors do a great job in their performances. Singer did a very good job in fixing the mess that was the Last Stand (f%$& u Ratner). Also thought the future Sentinels were badass.

Blue Ruin - 8/10

Simple story about revenge that is unpredictable and keeps you on the edged of your seat throughout the entire movie. Not much is revealed in the story until halfway through but from there on its a real treat to watch. Loved the ending as well.

The Amazing Spiderman 2 - 4/10

And I thought Spiderman 3 was a mess. The plot is all over the place in this one and the motivation behind DeHaan and Foxx's characters to hate Spiderman just didn't make any sense. Never liked the portrayal of Peter Parker in both films but Garfield does a good job with what he is given with. The chemistry between him and Stone along with the action scenes with Electro are the only highlights of the film... Oh and Rhino, da f$%# was that?

Merantau - 8/10

Features the same director and main actor from the Raid films and showcases the same martial arts style, Silat. Anyway it may not be as good as both Raid movies but the fighting scenes are still well executed and fun to watch. There's even a a jaw-dropping death scene that I thought was more shocking than anything in the other 2 films. If you enjoyed the Raid movies or any other martial arts movie, its worth checking out.

I just finished reading the book for Gone Girl this morning, and I'm cautiously excited for the David Fincher / Ben Affleck adaptation coming in October. The way the mystery was structured was the best I've seen in this genre in a long, long time. It's so perfectly set up, while also still progressing and mutating, it would probably be hard to screw up in a movie.

I haven't read Gone Girl, as I haven't been a fan of Gillian Flynn's other work enough to bother, but that movie looks to be good.

The Birds - 8.5/10

According to many, considered to be Hitchcock's last great film. While I did enjoy "Marnie", I would have to agree that "The Birds" is a superior film, albeit, very different.

Tippi Hedren was very strong in her role, much better than she was able to pull off in "Marnie." However, her role in "Marnie" was a far more difficult role, probably one of Hitchcock's most difficult roles written for a woman. I can see why Hitchcock was convinced Hedren would be a future star in Hollywood if he was basing it off of her role in "The Birds." She was attractive, had a lot of charm, and even stole scenes she was in with Jessica Tandy.

Like many Hitchcock films, the ending can lead some to be a little disappointed, though I'm not one of them. He didn't wrap up all his films in a neat package that made people feel good all the time; some were open to interpretation, and "The Birds" is no different. You're not quite sure what will happen next; but oftentimes filmmakers/writers/Hollywood nowadays like to tie things up nicely and explain everything to the viewer, because it makes you feel better, but that might not make for a better film in the long run. This is what I loved about Hitchcock and "The Birds", the ending was not tied up nicely, and I feel that only a few directors have the clout to get away with it. Hitchcock was very much a pioneer in this.

The other thing I loved about "The Birds", which I believe is paramount in "horror" movies, is that

the reason behind why the birds were attacking to begin with is never explained. Far too often writers/Hollywood give away far too much in trying to explain why something came about. Usually the explanation ends up being a huge letdown.

Great film and very, very good special effects for a 50 year old film.

Edited by Monty
  • Upvote 1

I haven't read Gone Girl, as I haven't been a fan of Gillian Flynn's other work enough to bother, but that movie looks to be good.

I had only read Dark Places previously and it wasn't nearly as good. I liked that one for the atmosphere (kind of a True Detective/Winter's Bone-type feel) but the plot/mystery wasn't even close to Gone Girl.

Edited by The Bookie

Inside Man - 8/10

Third time I've seen it, and still held up. Great twists on the too-often-cliched "heist movie". Spike Lee mostly kept his ego-stroking in check.

First "The Beaver" and now "Inside Man". What Jodie Foster film is next, "Maverick"?

I had only read Dark Places previously and it wasn't nearly as good. I liked that one for the atmosphere (kind of a True Detective/Winter's Bone-type feel) but the plot/mystery wasn't even close to Gone Girl.

I read Sharp Objects, and it contained too much misery. Felt like there was just nothing offsetting it. It was just something about the writing style.

Read just the beginning of Dark Places, and stopped. Maybe it was worth the read, but it shared that similar feeling, and I didn't want to possibly waste my time.

I would've read Gone Girl by now if I hadn't read Sharp Objects, because it entirely slots into that genre of thriller/mystery that I spend almost all of my reading time on. The premise itself is very interesting. I'll very likely end up catching the movie without ever having read it though,

I did not hate or even really dislike Sharp Objects, but I'd rather not go through it or a similar experience again any time soon.

I did not hate or even really dislike Sharp Objects, but I'd rather not go through it or a similar experience again any time soon.

haha, sold!

guess I should review a movie too ... I watched Expendables 3 a couple days ago - 2.5/10

two and a quarter points solely attributed to Antonio Banderas's performance

other quarter goes to Dolph Lundgren's hair

The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956) - 7/10

Alfred Hitchcock was so in love with his 1934 film, that he decided to remake it 22 years later. However, this one is more beefed up and stars James Stewart and Doris Day.

Long story short, Stewart and Day's child gets abducted in Marrakesh, and they are soon apart of an assassination plot.

The film is alright, and Stewart is as solid as he usually is. Day, on the other hand, completely botches each scene she is in. On one hand, she is quite "motherly looking", not the typical "Hollywood pretty", which works for the role. On the other hand, she was completely out of her element in this role. She seemed uncomfortable and not quite up to the challenge. She really brought the grade down.

Otherwise, interesting thriller.

Edited by Monty

The Social Network - 9/10

I've seen this 3 times now and I'm surprised each time how much I've enjoyed it. Surprised because I don't really enjoy Jesse Eisenberg and I don't have a Facebook account. I did at one point years ago and found no use for it; you know, because I'm not a stay at home mother.

I'm probably going to catch some heat here, but looking back, I believe it should have won the Oscar for best picture. While I enjoyed the winner that year, "The King's Speech", I wasn't to excited about the fact that a relatively unknown King who reigned for an incredibly short period of time had a film about him because he had a speech impedement. I can't think of any other film where the entire story would hinge on that as the storyline and actually succeed.

As for True Grit, I thought it was the best film of the year. However, there's no way that had even a remote chance of winning, due to the fact that it was a remake. Looking back, my choice would have been between "The Social Network" and "Winter's Bone." I say former, my wife said the latter. So she wins.

Edited by Monty

The Social Network - 9/10

I've seen this 3 times now and I'm surprised each time how much I've enjoyed it. Surprised because I don't really enjoy Jesse Eisenberg and I don't have a Facebook account. I did at one point years ago and found no use for it; you know, because I'm not a stay at home mother.

I'm probably going to catch some heat here, but looking back, I believe it should have won the Oscar for best picture. While I enjoyed the winner that year, "The King's Speech", I wasn't to excited about the fact that a relatively unknown King who reigned for an incredibly short period of time had a film about him because he had a speech impedement. I can't think of any other film where the entire story would hinge on that as the storyline and actually succeed.

As for True Grit, I thought it was the best film of the year. However, there's no way that had even a remote chance of winning, due to the fact that it was a remake. Looking back, my choice would have been between "The Social Network" and "Winter's Bone." I say former, my wife said the latter. So she wins.

I agree with you about Social Network although I also don't use Facebook so maybe we're biased. King's Speech was a solid movie, but the actors are what put it over the top IMO (as much who they were as their performances).

Winter's Bone was also really well done, I hope John Hawkes gets an Oscar sometime soon. He has put in some solid performances of late.