The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

2 hours ago, Monty said:

Too bad, because Joy looks horrible.

I can't say that it was. I genuinely liked it. No real regrets towards watching it. It was simplistic to the point that it was overly so, but it worked as a story of motivation.

I thought it looked fairly promising when watching the trailer for it, but the reviews tempered my expectations. I think it was better than a lot of what is being tossed around about it. Made me more of a fan of Jennifer Lawrence.

On 12/31/2015 at 10:12 AM, Hugor Hill said:

Is the book more detailed? I want to see the movie, but if the book is better I'm all over it.

There is only so much that one can fit into a 2-hour film and still be able to hold the attention of a non-financial audience.

I would strongly recommend that you read the book, along with all of Michael Lewis' works regarding finance...perhaps then you will understand that it is government legal-tendered, central bank-issued, fractionally-reserved bank lent, fiat currency that is the major primary factor behind what caused the rise, and fall, of real estate prices. NOT foreign capital.

And if you thought mortgage debt was bad, it is nothing compared to sovereign government debt...and the same thing will happen to governments all over the "developed" world over the next decade or two. 

Sicario: 8/10

It probably deserves a higher rating, but I  tend to treat minor things more harshly when it comes to movies that I'd been excited for.

I thought the score/sound editing really distracted from the tense points in the movie. Sometimes silence is the best way to bring about tension. Great acting by Blunt and Del Toro. Benecio appears to be impervious to aging.

Spoiler

I didn't like the whole bar scene plotline where Emily Blunt goes back with Shane from the Walking Dead. It felt very out of place and Blunt's character seemed way to shook-up when she realized the guy was associated with the Cartels. Felt like the whole thing was just a lazy way to connect Del Toro and Blunt's characters. I really don't think a cop would be that lazy as to leave a bill band out like that

Edited by Down by the River

Just came out of Star Wars with my boy.

It basically is a meh for me. It was Star Wars - a very recycled, unoriginal version of it. And for a director who is going to make that much money, it would be nice to see a bit more effort.  No new weapons, no new significant vehicles.  Even the scene setting at maz Kanata was duped.....and then the regurgitated Death Star and its method of defeat......yawn.

Daisy Ridley, if I had to pick, portrayed the best character in Ray.

Darth Vader-light:  was a big disappointment too.

Anyway enough time in this.

5.5/10

• Upvote 3

Hateful Eight = hoping for more red herrings/mystery but it was alright.  liked the 70mm landscape shots.

Cloudy with a chance of meatballs 1 & 2 = didn't finish either of them.

Celeste and Jesse Forever = not a traditional rom-com. good for those who like a reminder of how real life kicks the $&!# out of you.

Tinker Tinker EDIT [Tailor] Soldier Spy = a might too slow.  Benedict Cumberbatch looks weird blonde.

Kingsman = marginally entertaining. stupid ending.

Ex Machina = super slow. took 4 separate watch attempts to get through the whole thing. hated all of the characters.

Django Unchained = Great for Christoph Waltz. Christoph Waltz! Christoph Waltz!

Edited by Mainly Mattias
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Mainly Mattias said:

Tinker Tinker EDIT [Tailor] Soldier Spy = a might too slow.  Benedict Cumberbatch looks weird blonde.

Kingsman = marginally entertaining. stupid ending.

Ex Machina = super slow. took 4 separate watch attempts to get through the whole thing. hated all of the characters.

Django Unchained = Great for Christoph Waltz. Christoph Waltz! Christoph Waltz!

A big 'YUP' to all of these...

5 hours ago, Monty said:

A bunch of people left the theatre praising an overrated space film.

Ok I'm glad you guys agree. I liked the movie but the praise it's getting from some people is goofy. It's a retread of the original and doesn't have anything new to offer. I won't lie though,  I'm looking forward to the next instalment written and directed by Rian Johnston. 

The Jinx (6-part hbo) - 8/10

Making a Murderer had me hankering for more true crime series, so I watched this from last year. I guess a lot of people have already watched it. It didn't suck me in nearly as quickly as MaM, and in fact I wasn't totally into it until that 6th episode. It's an interesting story for sure, but was told in kind of a circular, repetitive way. Slicker, but also largely comprised of artsy dramatization footage, some of which was recycled too many times (the rural NY train station where his wife went missing, with the train pulling in and leaving, must have been used more than 20). Or maybe it's a weary cynicism - it's not really as shocking to find out that a rich guy from a high profile NYC family was able to get away with murder, vs. a random redneck in Wisconsin being systematically railroaded into jail for the same crime.

But that final episode, wow. Few things in film are better than the moment the lens scales back a layer and the project itself becomes a part of the story.

The Big Short - 8/10

Better than I expected. Without Steve Carrell's strong performance, this probably wouldn't have been as enjoyable. Thought the "talking head" moments with celebrities and breaking the 4th wall were out of place.

After watching Making A Murderer(Ugh, still makes me mad when thinking about it. 9/10 for me) , I wanted to watch another crime type documentary. I watched 'Dear Zachary.' I can't even think about it too much, it starts to make me cry. 9/10 

Some people might think I've given those two documentaries too high on the rate list, but I don't enjoy documentaries at all. Was never a big fan, but after MaM I just got hooked. Been googling on which ones to watch ever since I finished it. 

As for movie:

I watched Star Wars, thoroughly enjoyed it. 8/10. I might be slightly obsessed with John Boyega and Daisy Ridley. 

Saw Creed the other day, another 8/10

Mad Max is my favorite film of 2015. 9/10 

Star Wars force Awakens   6.5/10  

I want to give it a higher score as i am an uber fan of the series but there were some seriously glaring errors.

Kind of a montage rip off of the past 6.

Cool new characters, and the next one I feel will be the best of the entire series.

Edited by Mr.DirtyDangles

/\
SPOILERS! (use the eye icon)

Even though I'm not a huge Star Wars fan, there are explanations for most of those...

Spoiler

Kylo Ren obviously idolized Darth Vader, hence the similar get-up.

Death Star planet allowed them to easily eliminate the Republic government in mere seconds, thereby ensuring we won't have to hear about senators and trade routes again.

Not sure about Rey using the force, but she was shown as a fantastic pilot; and she had been scavenging that same Star Destroyer likely years, so she would know the layout of it very well.

14 minutes ago, D-Money said:

/\
SPOILERS! (use the eye icon)

Even though I'm not a huge Star Wars fan, there are explanations for most of those...

Hide contents

Kylo Ren obviously idolized Darth Vader, hence the similar get-up.

Death Star planet allowed them to easily eliminate the Republic government in mere seconds, thereby ensuring we won't have to hear about senators and trade routes again.

Not sure about Rey using the force, but she was shown as a fantastic pilot; and she had been scavenging that same Star Destroyer likely years, so she would know the layout of it very well.

I tried but it just does not work I will just delete the spoilers : (

Valid points but the regurgitated plot was very disappointing for me.