The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

20 minutes ago, Monty said:

The Big Lebowski - 10/10

I have this in my Top 5 for a reason; even if that reason is largely sentimental. I hadn't watched it, though, in roughly 10 years. Man was it even better than I remembered.

"Well, that's just like, your opinion man."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

O Brother, Where Art Thou - 10/10

Not in my Top 20, but I love this movie, and had forgotten so much of it. That KKK scene near the end with John Goodman was amazing.

Not to mention that the soundtrack is not only one my favorite albums ever, but it also has my favorite song of all time.

:wub: Need to re-watch both of those....where to find the time? I still have a back log of new, unseeen movies to watch...

22 minutes ago, J.R. said:

:wub: Need to re-watch both of those....where to find the time? I still have a back log of new, unseeen movies to watch...

My wife was gone for 2 and a half weeks, so when I wasn't busy doing home renos, I would just sit and watch boatloads of films.

I put on Lebowski and said to myself, "Even though I love it, I'll probably turn it off after 5 minutes." As soon as it shows him paying for the milk ($0.69) with a cheque, I was laughing my ass off. There was no turning back. The quotes!

The Dude: You could use it as an excuse to make some money disappear. All you needed was a sap to pin it on! You'd just met me! You human... paraquat! You figured 'Oh, here's a loser', you know? A deadbeat, someone the square community won't give a $&!# about.

The Big Lebowski: Well, aren't you?

The Dude: Well, yeah!

The Big Lebowski: Are you surprised at my tears, sir?

The Dude: [Smoking a joint] Dude, f*ckin' A!

5 hours ago, Monty said:

My wife was gone for 2 and a half weeks, so when I wasn't busy doing home renos, I would just sit and watch boatloads of films.

I put on Lebowski and said to myself, "Even though I love it, I'll probably turn it off after 5 minutes." As soon as it shows him paying for the milk ($0.69) with a cheque, I was laughing my ass off. There was no turning back. The quotes!

The Dude: You could use it as an excuse to make some money disappear. All you needed was a sap to pin it on! You'd just met me! You human... paraquat! You figured 'Oh, here's a loser', you know? A deadbeat, someone the square community won't give a $&!# about.

The Big Lebowski: Well, aren't you?

The Dude: Well, yeah!

The Big Lebowski: Are you surprised at my tears, sir?

The Dude: [Smoking a joint] Dude, f*ckin' A!

"8 year olds dude."

• Upvote 1

Suicide Squad

I liked it but I was very disappointed. 

The movie starts off good and there are awesome parts but at some point the movie is a hot mess especially towards the end. It was funny at parts and some good one liners and some of the action was great. Editing was weird and pace was off.

I thought most of characters were good and interesting especially Deadshot, Harley, Amanda Waller. Everyone else didn't really get a lot of time spent on their story but i still liked the chemistry within the squad. The squad itself was such an interesting group but they just needed a more interesting mission and stronger story.  

Only character I disliked was the villain. Such a crappy villain and final fight. I was kinda surprised how lame it was.

I liked the Joker, was really creepy. He's barely in the movie so can't really judge Leto's performance in comparison to other Jokers imo. But I really want to see more of this Joker.

Spoiler

Enchantress and her brother who is randomly there were the villains. Super lame, the big sequence in which the Squad fights her was so pathetic. I cannot believe that was the best they could do, the whole fight scene just looked awful too. Film definitely needed a better villain.

The pace of this film was weird. It felt like these characters met in the morning, went to fight at evening and became family by night. Happened way too fast. Like these evil people barely know each other but then are willing to fight for each other never felt convincing to me. Motivations and why characters make certain decisions aren't always clear. 

Some of the backstory should have been explored more. Like Joker and Harley's relationship. I really liked the Joker and Harley scenes but I think they should have been elaborated. Like we never properly know why Harley fell for the Joker, the psychiatrist flashback shows her when she's already liking him.

The Joker is barely in the movie and in some ways he's not important to the story. His actions don't really affect the Squad's abilities to carry out their mission. Like when he comes to get Harley by hijacking a helicopter, it doesn't really hurt the squad's mission. Another helicopter comes to take Waller and then the squad is like ok lets go do our mission.

Joker should be more impactful imo.

Suicide Squad - 3/10

Terrible movie. First third of the movie I really enjoyed. After that it went all downhill. I've watched power rangers episodes as a kid that were better. The only thing that really saved it for me is I'm really, really attracted to Harley :wub:

Edit: Jared Leto's acting was incredible.

Edited by NucksPatsFan

Star Trek Beyond - 8/10

Really enjoyed it, but I'm also a Star Trek nerd.

-----------------------------------

Suicide Squad

Haven't watched it. Won't watch it. Looks like sh*t.

Edited by Monty

3 minutes ago, Monty said:

Star Trek Beyond - 8/10

Really enjoyed it, but ok also a Star Trek nerd.

-----------------------------------

Suicide Squad

Haven't watched it. Won't watch it. Looks like sh*t.

How could this movie even cost money to view?

• Upvote 1

People Places Things - 6.5/10

Stars Jemaine Clement, Regina Hall, and some of gal from (I believe) the "Wild Horses" comedy troupe. EDIT: Yes, it is her. She's one of the women, but not the one everyone is becoming most familiar with (Lauren Lapkus).

It was alright. Shows the difficulties of having children and splitting from your spouse. Not only the struggles that affect the parents, but also how something as simple as the father getting to spend more time with his children affects the children, as they are used to a schedule.

While the other actors were fine in their roles, obviously this film focuses on Clement, as he is the draw here; which also means he gets all the clever lines, as well as the best lines to work with. In the end, it's worth watching, but I can't help but feel the film would have been better served had the other characters been given something more substantial to work with.

Edited by Monty

season 3 of Silicon Valley  8/10

Took awhile but they've really hit their stride. The show has sort of mutated from a straight comedy to more of a hyper realistic occasional chuckle rollercoaster of emotions. It's definitely affected the way I look at the various updates to software and apps that occur. Much like the story here, there's a lot of stabbing around in the dark - they know they have a good core product but they're still bungling around trying to tweak features to get everyone more and more addicted. The season finales are consistent high water marks too.

Miles Ahead 8/10

Interesting take on a 'biopic' of an intensely interesting person. Has a very free form 'impressionistic' feel to it, not dissimilar to the subject's music. Which largely makes sense as the inspiration for the film. 

Cheadle, as usual, is very good in the lead as Davis.

Would have scored higher but the 'interesting take on a biopic' does have it's negatives as per spoilers:

Spoiler

The film seems to suggest the story we're largely watching is what might be imagined in Davis' head when asked to tell his story in an interview. He starts free-form playing in the interview and we see this fictional 'story' he's playing as the majority of the film (with some presumably 'real life' inspired memories/moments from the past sprinkled in).

This largely works and is a smart and creative way to deal with the usual pitfalls of a biopic as long as you're open to something less textbook or straightforward. 

Where it fails a bit IMO is that at times it falls in to a sort of Lethal weapon-esque white/black guy buddy-comedy feel at times. While that is possibly explainable as Davis simply adding a little fun/excitement/humour to his imagined story he's creating in his head (and telling/playing), it detracts a bit from the actual film.

So, interesting concept, I'm just not sure if was executed as well as it could have been.

Edited by J.R.

Captain Fantastic 8.5/10

Viggo as an off-the-grid single father raising six kids, roadtripping back into society for their mom's funeral. Powerful stuff, punched its weight in all the right ways - funny, depressing, offensive, awkward. Probably the best or second best film I've seen this year. Lagged a tiny bit in the end. I would have closed with the POV shot from the toilet.

21 hours ago, J.R. said:

Miles Ahead 8/10

Interesting take on a 'biopic' of an intensely interesting person. Has a very free form 'impressionistic' feel to it, not dissimilar to the subject's music. Which largely makes sense as the inspiration for the film. 

Cheadle, as usual, is very good in the lead as Davis.

Would have scored higher but the 'interesting take on a biopic' does have it's negatives as per spoilers:

Reveal hidden contents

The film seems to suggest the story we're largely watching is what might be imagined in Davis' head when asked to tell his story in an interview. He starts free-form playing in the interview and we see this fictional 'story' he's playing as the majority of the film (with some presumably 'real life' inspired memories/moments from the past sprinkled in).

This largely works and is a smart and creative way to deal with the usual pitfalls of a biopic as long as you're open to something less textbook or straightforward. 

Where it fails a bit IMO is that at times it falls in to a sort of Lethal weapon-esque white/black guy buddy-comedy feel at times. While that is possibly explainable as Davis simply adding a little fun/excitement/humour to his imagined story he's creating in his head (and telling/playing), it detracts a bit from the actual film.

So, interesting concept, I'm just not sure if was executed as well as it could have been.

Going to watch this fairly soon. Cheadle is a phenomenal actor.