The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

16 minutes ago, GLASSJAW said:

oh god, the trailer is finally here. Eggers' followup to The Witch

looks wonderful

Probably the film I’ve been looking forward to the most this year.

Pattinson pulling a Leo the last few years. Distancing himself away from those Twilight “movies” to turn himself into a legitimate actor.

Good Time is where he really cemented himself as a consistently great actor.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

yeah; you could see the drop off between Sicario 1 and 2. Maybe it was the story as well, but there was a clear distinction as to which one was better

Same writer though I believe.  

But yeah you're right, the first one had way more of an impact on me.  Crafted like a slow going crime drama.  I loved  the sound design too- so punishing and gave me a feeling of dread. 

The second one felt more heavy on the action, but I still enjoyed it. 

4 hours ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

I still havnt seen The Witch

it's quite polarizing, to be fair. but those who like it tend to really, really, really like it. 

11 hours ago, Monty said:

Probably the film I’ve been looking forward to the most this year.

Pattinson pulling a Leo the last few years. Distancing himself away from those Twilight “movies” to turn himself into a legitimate actor.

Good Time is where he really cemented himself as a consistently great actor.

• Haha 2

On 7/29/2019 at 9:03 AM, Shift-4 said:

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Disappointed.

Maybe I over hyped it for myself but I was completely unimpressed. Most scenes were too slow and drawn out. 

Left wondering what was the point of it all. 

Tarantino was half reminiscing, half mocking about that time in the industry.

Putting random stars from Hollywood history came across like pointless name dropping. Cringeworthy.  

I liked Brad Pitt in it. That's about the only good thing I can think of.

The ending definitely tugged at the heart strings (if you know the history).

I really liked it. I think this movie is a lot like The Hateful Eight and Jackie Brown, in that it would take a few watches to really appreciate it.

I agree, there were a few scenes that were pointless and namedropping, particularly the Playboy Mansion scene, which didn’t really serve much purpose at all. 

I did like the characters of Leo and Pitt, though. Particularly their character arcs, which were done as well they could have. Especially Pitt’s. Again, without giving anything away to those who have yet to see it, he really redeemed himself in the end, with the history you find out about his character: DO NOT CLICK UNLESS YOU WANT THE ENDING SPOILED. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Whether he purposely or accidentally killed his wife, saving Leo and Leo’s wife’s life by utterly obliterating the Manson Murderers. Making them look like buffoons. Like Inglorious Basterds, changing history with this ending, as Red Letter Media put it, takes the power out of their hands.

More importantly, for those who may think Leonardo DiCaprio is a one trick pony, or a little overrated, this was his best performance to date. His acting scene on set (the key scene, you’ll know) was really well acted. And him losing it in his trailer, may have been the funniest thing I’ve seen in a long time.

It was a close one for best performances, though. As usual, Brad Pitt played a charming version of himself. He was a more fun character to watch, as he was very relaxed, while Leo’s took a lot more work to pull off.

There were a few terrific scenes, that go on quite long, as that’s Tarantino’s M.O. The ones that stick out are two of Leo’s acting scenes, and Pitt’s scene in which he visits the infamous Spahn Ranch. That scene in particular was phenomenal.

8 hours ago, Kryten said:

Alita Battle Angel - 5/10

Decided to rent it from Shaw to enter the contest for a trip for two to Japan. Worth it I guess? 

I tried to watch it. I may have made it to minute 6.

• Cheers 1

american anarchist - 4.5/10

documentary about the dude who wrote the Anarchist Cookbook, who now seems to be a pretty decent guy all things considered. god, so much potential. instead, the documentarian was just too aggressive -- as one of the subjects says, it feels as if the questions are very leading

great subject, though

Just watching Spider-Man: Homecoming 

This movie takes place after Civil War, in which Peter was an absolute beast against a giant ant man, the winter soldier and Captain America.

Having a hard time squaring that with him having problems with a few random construction workers who found a couple pieces of random Stark tech...

22 minutes ago, Canorth said:

Having a hard time squaring that with him having problems with a few random construction workers who found a couple pieces of random Stark tech.

He had a hard time because the script said he had to.

First Man

So you want to be an astronaut?

Yeahnothanks/10

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

Tried watching it years ago and fell asleep. Must have been an off day. Loved watching it today.  

Sam Rockwell needs to be in more movies