The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

17 minutes ago, Monty said:

Thor Ragnorok was a lot of fun. To me, didn’t even seem like a Marvel film. Can thank Taika Waititi for that.

Guess I also didn't think it was in the same category either, as I didn't think to include it in this discussion.

Saw it, and it was the most enjoyable one for sure.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Guess I also didn't think it was in the same category either, as I didn't think to include it in this discussion.

Saw it, and it was the most enjoyable one for sure.

0436682E-9C5F-4B39-91CE-12288D58032D.gif

7026BD4E-AF87-453C-94D4-D0789B88C1AF.gif

• Cheers 1

On 6/2/2019 at 1:33 PM, Monty said:

That’s a shame. Not a terrific film, but I have good memories of it.

A4471344-EDB2-4939-9F53-F709390C8F39.gif

I mean it belongs nowhere near the words 'film' or 'pantheon' but it has it's place as an absolutely absurd, fun and guilty pleasure.

1 hour ago, Monty said:

Captain Marvel

Wife and I started it yesterday. I walked out after 15 minutes and went to our room to rewatch Red Letter Media Half in the Bag episodes.

Very boring. Not because of the current hate towards Brie Larson (which I don’t give two sharts about), but because of superhero fatigue. In 15 minutes of viewing I could already predict the movie and what I was in for.

1 hour ago, Shift-4 said:

I wish I was as smart as you.

Incredibly underwhelming.

Just watched it. I enjoyed it. It was better than some of the Marvel movies. Brie Larson is super cute throughout. The only one I've turned off was Black Panther. So over rated. 

Thor: Ragnarok is my fave unless you count Deadpool and Logan...which really aren't. 

There is hate towards Larson for what reason? 

1 hour ago, Shift-4 said:

I will give Endgame a go just so I can bring that universe full circle. But I am not charging out to go see it. Will wait for it to hit whatever streaming service I am currently into.

I let it sit in theatres for a while too.   Always hard to judge these movies that are cappers to a series.

I would give it a 3/5 which for me puts it about second in the Avengers movies which I am not over enamoured with like some.  I found Ultron and Civil War to be downright tedious movies that added nothing to the original Avengers which I thought was pretty average.  I thought Infinity War was surprisingly good especially with how repetitive Marvel was getting.  

I generally have enjoyed the off brand marvel movies more.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

She spoke out against white, male critics, saying, “I don’t need to hear what a 40 year old white dude has to say about A Wrinkle in Time. That movie wasn’t made for him...”

She went off, coming across like all actors when they speak about anything other than plugging their movies, like a complete moron. Essentially, the message should have been, “More diversity and voices are terrific, as everyone comes from a place where we can learn from their experiences.” Instead, she used a platform to discuss the most meaningless area for social justice hate as possible, which is movie reviews. Critics/critiquing film reviews is such non issue to social justice.

Again, this is the hate towards her that people (ie: neck beards) use to then barf all over her without even seeing the movie. I don’t care about this stuff. Tom Cruise may be a nutcase, but I like his movies. I liked Room, which was a Brie Larson movie, and I’d see it again. And actor/actress putting their foot in their mouth because they opened it and turned out to be a moron is nothing new or unexpected.

Good movie? Awesome. I’ll watch. Bad movie? Pass. Captain Marvel seemed liked a massive waste of time.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Monty said:

She spoke out against white, male critics, saying, “I don’t need to hear what a 40 year old white dude has to say about A Wrinkle in Time. That movie wasn’t made for him...”

She went off, coming across like all actors when they speak about anything other than plugging their movies, like a complete moron. Essentially, the message should have been, “More diversity and voices are terrific, as everyone comes from a place where we can learn from their experiences.” Instead, she used a platform to discuss the most meaningless area for social justice hate as possible, which is movie reviews. Critics/critiquing film reviews is such non issue to social justice.

Again, this is the hate towards her that people (ie: neck beards) use to then barf all over her without even seeing the movie. I don’t care about this stuff. Tom Cruise may be a nutcase, but I like his movies. I liked Room, which was a Brie Larson movie, and I’d see it again. And actor/actress putting their foot in their mouth because they opened it and turned out to be a moron is nothing new or unexpected.

Good movie? Awesome. I’ll watch. Bad movie? Pass. Captain Marvel seemed liked a massive waste of time.

I don't really pay attention to any of that stuff which is clearly how I was unaware. Their self importance can be rather tedious. 

As for Captain Marvel...it had it's moments.  I enjoyed it more than every Gwyneth Paltrow scene in Ironman....   

1 hour ago, Gnarcore said:

Just watched it. I enjoyed it. It was better than some of the Marvel movies. Brie Larson is super cute throughout. The only one I've turned off was Black Panther. So over rated. 

Thor: Ragnarok is my fave unless you count Deadpool and Logan...which really aren't. 

I think she tried to come across like Jennifer Lawrence and instead just came across as an asshole:

Recently watched The Last Laugh on Netflix.  Chevy Chase and Richard Dreyfuss are agent and stand-up comic who worked together ages ago, and meet up in a retirement home.

Decent movie, worth watching.  IMDB gives it 5.5, I'd bump it up to 6.5.  7 if they would cut the shroom high scene.

I Am Mother

New Netflix film, starring some actress I’ve never heard of, Hillary Swank, and Rose Byrne as the voice of the robot “Mother”.

I really don’t want to give away too much on this. But from what you’d see from the preview, girl stars as “Daughter” and Rose Byrne (robot) stars as “Mother”. After humanity has been destroyed due to disease, Daughter has been raised as the first person from an embryo by “Mother”, with 65,000 more embryos in stasis, ready to be raised to restart humanity. However, as the girl nears adulthood, Hillary Swank comes into play from outside the facility. That’s what you’d see in the preview.

I echo all reviews that have been said, which are all overwhelmingly positive. The story is great, the acting is great, the writing and directing is great. The robot, which was designed and done by Weta (came to prominence after Peter Jackson’s LoTR trilogy), so that terrific. The first 2/3 of the movie are really solid. Once the last but comes in, I was really hoping it wasn’t going where I thought it was, which was rather predictable. You watch the film essentially from “Daughter’s” POV, so you’re not who’s story to trust, Hillary Swank’s or “Mother’s”. Was hoping for a little different ending, but it was satisfying enough. Would definitely recommend.

I will say that the preview is misleading. Makes it seem like it turns into some type of action/horror film. Which it’s neither of these things, at all. 

Oh yeah, WTF happened to Hillary Swank’s career?

F2FC1379-471A-4F0C-A34F-484DB7099E81.jpeg

2 minutes ago, D-Money said:

It seems like it took a steep downturn in 2008... ...exactly when this happened:

hrnoe60jmmm11.jpg

Whenever I think about Hillary Swank, that’s the first thing that comes to mind. Well, that and...

A84A97FA-97A8-4790-9546-647DF57BB124.jpeg

Godzilla: King of the Monsters

I like a Godzilla movie, aside from the Matthew Broderick one. Always makes me smile, as it’s pure shlock. Couple good “monster v. monster” fights. The last one was smile worthy, for sure.

The one weakness, which is the same in all these Godzilla movies, is time focused on the generic human story that’s shoehorned in. 

Otherwise, fun shlock when the monsters are on the screen.

3F7B0CAD-A203-4CA9-A5B9-C1C3B5E258D0.jpeg

8 minutes ago, Monty said:

Godzilla: King of the Monsters

I like a Godzilla movie, aside from the Matthew Broderick one. Always makes me smile, as it’s pure shlock. Couple good “monster v. monster” fights. The last one was smile worthy, for sure.

The one weakness, which is the same in all these Godzilla movies, is time focused on the generic human story that’s shoehorned in. 

Otherwise, fun shlock when the monsters are on the screen.

3F7B0CAD-A203-4CA9-A5B9-C1C3B5E258D0.jpeg

Good job! Haven't seen it yet, but I'm a fan of the big guy, always have been! "Destroy All Monsters" is one of my favorites.

• Upvote 1

On 5/8/2019 at 12:29 PM, D-Money said:

Been sick lately, but have been catching up on some movies I missed...

Okja - 6/10 (Netflix)

I really enjoyed certain portions of the movie. Paul Dano knocked his role out of the park, and essentially every scene focused on the A.L.F. was gold. But the problem with the movie (IMO) are its 2 biggest stars. The plot is crazy, but the majority of the cast play along with it with sincerity. But Tilda Swinton and Jake Gyllenhaal take their roles too far, as if they're trying too hard to be satirical.

Reveal hidden contents

I also thought it would have had more of an impact if the Superpigs acted more like animals - there were points where they did things that no animal would have understood (Okja using the stump as a pulley, the parents of the baby pig sweeping it under the fence and Okja knowing to hide it, etc.). 

Capote - 7/10 (Prime)

Hoffman deserved the Oscar, as this is certainly well-acted. And the story behind it is interesting. But overal, I found it just to be a good - but not great - movie. It didn't help that Truman Capote was kind of a turd. Found it hard to root for him.

Whiplash - 8.5/10 (Prime)

Truly excellent. In many ways it was similar to Capote - the main character had to make sacrifices in order to achieve a creative peak. And both the protagonist and antagonist in this movie were both turds, but to me, the movie did a better job at explaining and redeeming them.

On 5/8/2019 at 1:00 PM, Monty said:

There are some movies that, when on, I’ll watch through, no matter what mood I’m in. Whiplash is such a terrific movie that I’ve watched a number of times, now. As a parent as well, that last scene where you see Paul Reiser’s emotional reaction to his son’s drumming is heartwarming. To a point where I tear up every time.

Watched on the weekend and as you two suggested, some high quality movie there, thanks for the recommendation! :towel:

Also watched Old Man & the Gun on the weekend. It's as quaint and charming as the lead character. I'd give both a solid 8.5/10.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1