The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford: 8.5-9/10.

finally got around to seeing this. no idea why I put this off for so long, since I love well done westerns (second only to organized crime movies). it's almost 3 hours long, so maybe that was the turn off. Definitely had some issues with this one, but they were almost entirely stylistic choices from Dominik.

good visuals (minus the style minor choices i mentioned). AMAZING writing, almost Deadwood-like, but without the profanity. it's very effective. very strong acting across the board. I love brad pitt, and i don't care who knows it. but more than pitt, the supporting cast is absolutely top-notch as well

great story, too, obviously.

scored by Nick Cave to boot.

very strong movie held back by a few small details, IMO.

That was a good one, surprised it took you this long!

The only Luc Besson movie I've truly enjoyed is The Fifth Element, and even that took watching a few times over before I really began to even like it.

was looking through the (truly awful) IMDB top 250, and was sort of surprised to see Leon: The Professional at like #37 or something.

you didn't enjoy that one? I thought it was good, but not top 100-of-all-time worthy. but I haven't seen it for years.

was looking through the (truly awful) IMDB top 250, and was sort of surprised to see Leon: The Professional at like #37 or something.

you didn't enjoy that one? I thought it was good, but not top 100-of-all-time worthy. but I haven't seen it for years.

Not really. I had a friend who was overly obsessed with this movie, and he hyped me up to go watch the thing. I did, and it was ok. Wouldn't watch it again though.

Was a fairly good movie, crazy overrated but pretty good. Just wasn't my movie.

And I couldn't even begin to get started on the IMDB top 250 list. Seems to have actually gotten significantly worse as time went on.

Edited by g_bassi13

Was it really #37? Jeez. I enjoyed it, but I wouldn't even put it in the 250, let alone that high. I can rattle off 50 films off the top of my head, in no particular order, that I believe people would unanimously vote as better.

Lol. The best 27 films of all time, my ass.
MV5BODU4MjU4NjIwNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDU2 1. The Shawshank Redemption (1994) 9.2
RATE
MV5BMjEyMjcyNDI4MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDA5 2. The Godfather (1972) 9.2
RATE
MV5BNDc2NTM3MzU1Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTA5 3. The Godfather: Part II (1974) 9.0
RATE
MV5BMTMxNTMwODM0NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODAy 4. The Dark Knight (2008) 8.9
RATE
MV5BMjE0ODk2NjczOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNDQ0 5. Pulp Fiction (1994) 8.9
RATE
MV5BOTQ5NDI3MTI4MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNDQ4 6. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966) 8.9
RATE
MV5BMzMwMTM4MDU2N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzQ0 7. Schindler's List (1993) 8.9
RATE
MV5BODQwOTc5MDM2N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODQx 8. 12 Angry Men (1957) 8.9
RATE
MV5BMjE4MjA1NTAyMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzM1 9. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003) 8.9
RATE
MV5BMjIwNTYzMzE1M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTE5 10. Fight Club (1999) 8.8
RATE
MV5BNTEyMjAwMDU1OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDQy 11. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001) 8.8
RATE
MV5BMjE2MzQwMTgxN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDQz 12. Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (1980) 8.8
RATE
MV5BMjAxMzY3NjcxNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTI5 13. Inception (2010) 8.7
RATE
MV5BMTQwMTA5MzI1MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzY5 14. Forrest Gump (1994) 8.7
RATE
MV5BMTk5OTA4NTc0NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzI5 15. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) 8.7
RATE
MV5BMTAyNDU0NjY4NTheQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU2MDk4 16. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002) 8.7
RATE
MV5BMTY2OTE5MzQ3MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMTY2 17. Goodfellas (1990) 8.7
RATE
MV5BMTkxNDYxOTA4M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNTk0 18. The Matrix (1999) 8.7
RATE
MV5BMTU4NTczODkwM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzEy 19. Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (1977) 8.7
RATE
MV5BNzg5Mzk5Nzc0NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjg3 20. Seven Samurai (1954) 8.7
RATE
MV5BMjA4ODQ3ODkzNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwOTc4 21. City of God (2002) 8.7
RATE
MV5BMTQwNTU3MTE4NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTgx 22. Se7en (1995) 8.6
RATE
MV5BMzI1MjI5MDQyOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzE4 23. The Usual Suspects (1995) 8.6
RATE
MV5BMTQ2NzkzMDI4OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDA0 24. The Silence of the Lambs (1991) 8.6
RATE
MV5BMTMzMzY5NDc4M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzc4 25. It's a Wonderful Life (1946) 8.6
RATE
MV5BMTEyODQzNDkzNjVeQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU4MDgy 26. Once Upon a Time in the West (1968) 8.6
RATE
MV5BMTgzMzg4MDkwNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODAw 27. Léon (1994) 8.6
RATE
Edited by g_bassi13

I really don't get the Shawshank love. It's definitely a good, feel-good, very American movie... but I really don't get its position as a top ten, let alone #1 movie. Nowhere close to Godfather territory for me.

Also don't understand why people like (forget LOVE!) Usual Suspects.

I really don't get the Shawshank love. It's definitely a good, feel-good, very American movie... but I really don't get its position as a top ten, let alone #1 movie. Nowhere close to Godfather territory for me.

Also don't understand why people like (forget LOVE!) Usual Suspects.

I have never, in my life, understood why think Shawshank Redemption is such a great movie. Good? Yeah. But if I were to put together a top 30 list of better films, not even ones that I like better (ie: Starship Troopers or Big Lebowski), but ones that I know to be better (ie: The Apartment, Vertigo, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington), Shawshank wouldn't even crack the top 30.

I don't know if you've watched The Usual Suspects lately, but it definitely feels like an NBC hour long thriller. My wife saw it for the first time about a year ago having never heard anything about it. Right away she said, "This seems like a made for tv movie. Oh, and that guy is Keyser Soze." I asked her how she knew. She said, "Because I'm not an idiot. They're not showing his face and Spacey is the only person to survive. You'd have to be a child not to see it." Needless to say, it doesn't hold up well to even people who have never seen it.

Yeah, I'm not a big fan. Though it was an alright movie. Doesn't belong anywhere near that list. Like most things on it.

I agree with the whole Shawshank thing as well. Nowhere near number 1. Though when you see The Dark Knight at number 4, you get a good idea of how this list works, and which people dictate t.

I have never, in my life, understood why think Shawshank Redemption is such a great movie. Good? Yeah. But if I were to put together a top 30 list of better films, not even ones that I like better (ie: Starship Troopers or Big Lebowski), but ones that I know to be better (ie: The Apartment, Vertigo, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington), Shawshank wouldn't even crack the top 30.

I don't know if you've watched The Usual Suspects lately, but it definitely feels like an NBC hour long thriller. My wife saw it for the first time about a year ago having never heard anything about it. Right away she said, "This seems like a made for tv movie. Oh, and that guy is Keyser Soze." I asked her how she knew. She said, "Because I'm not an idiot. They're not showing his face and Spacey is the only person to survive. You'd have to be a child not to see it." Needless to say, it doesn't hold up well to even people who have never seen it.

Lulz - she's totally playing you. Chances are sometime in the last 19 years somebody has told her about the movie. (The plot twist is pretty legendary at this point.) Rather than reveal that, she's having some fun with it.

IMDB's top list is more like "the favourite movies of a select group, 70% of which are 16-25 year old males". That said, Shawshank would make my top 30...probably top 20... ...but not top 10.

Edited by D-Money

Lulz - she's totally playing you. Chances are sometime in the last 19 years somebody has told her about the movie. (The plot twist is pretty legendary at this point.) Rather than reveal that, she's having some fun with it.

IMDB's top list is more like "the favourite movies of a select group, 70% of which are 16-25 year old males". That said, Shawshank would make my top 30...probably top 20... ...but not top 10.

Trust me, if you knew my wife, you would know she is incapable of lying; or at the very least, very bad at it. Also, she grew up in a house of 8 without tv. The crowd she ran with in school was also her sister, who was a year younger than her. She also went to french immersion, and the only time she has watched the older Star Wars films is in french, has yet to see them in english.

When we first got married, the concept of having a tv around for her was almost too much to handle. The first show she watched was M.A.S.H. Then it was Star Trek The Original, then Star Trek TNG. Those were literally the first shows she watched. She never watched or knew anything about Seinfeld until after we were married.

However, my wife reads books like there is no tomorrow. So the fact that she was able to figure it out that early does not surprise me. She still manages to do it with other films that we are both watching for the first time.

EDIT: A terrific example of this is 'The Prestige'. We watched it on opening night, and she leans over to me after Bale's character (Borden?) did his trick for the first time and said

I bet he has a twin brother. Then she kept pointing it out whenever his 'assistant' was with him, saying "See, that's definitely his twin!"

I then punched her in the ovaries.

Edited by Monty

this is exactly where i'm coming from. i did watch it within the last year and i was horrified at it. and i, like you, watched it with a first-timer, and she thought it was very bad too. though i don't think she predicted the twist, i do know she didn't give a sh*t by the time it happened.

i honestly think we both agreed on a 3/10 rating (yes, we actually discuss movie ratings). i thought it was complete crap. especially compared to Se7en, which came out the same year--and I think holds up very well.

As far as Besson goes, I enjoyed the first Taken, and have a soft spot for District B13. He didn't direct them, but he wrote them.

Never saw the sequel for the latter...but it couldn't be worse than that of the former. And it certainly couldn't be as bad as the colossal piece of s$%# From Paris With Love.

As far as Besson goes, I enjoyed the first Taken, and have a soft spot for District B13. He didn't direct them, but he wrote them.

Never saw the sequel for the latter...but it couldn't be worse than that of the former. And it certainly couldn't be as bad as the colossal piece of s$%# From Paris With Love.

I know we've discussed this before, but Taken 2 is probably the dumbest movie I've ever seen. "Just lob some grenades in middle of the city. By the sound, I can tell you where to find me." It wasn't dumb like 'Crank' is dumb; at least they know what they're doing is tongue and cheek and meant to be stupid. 'Taken 2' was straight up retarded.

I'm actually reversing what I've said before that 'Crank' was insulting to me as a moviegoer. I mean, it was stupid, but 'Taken 2' is just so bad. I couldn't even make fun of it. I'm getting angry just thinking about it now. I don't even know if I'd get this upset over my dog being run over. Such a piece of sh*t that was.

EDIT: D-Money, if you haven't seen it yet, don't watch 'The Family'. Besson wrote and directed it and it is just as stupid. I'm finding that Besson comes up with decent stories, but that's where it ends. When he puts the pen to paper and starts writing, it's just dog sh*t after dog sh*t. And it's almost becoming a staple of his to make sure he puts one absolutely ridiculous thing into his movies that ruins everything you've seen; almost immediately putting the rating down in 2/10 range. Like, "Things are all well and good, it's a 7/10. Oh, what's that? The prisoner found out where they are hiding halfway across the globe from a highschool newspaper out of France? Alright, this film is now officially for dumb-dumbs."

Edited by Monty

...I will never see Crank 2. Simply because the only part of Crank that I actually thought was well done was him finally relaxing while falling from a plane to his certain death. I don't know if it was the way it was shot, or just the relief of that monstrosity being finally over, but that was the one scene that stuck with me in a good way.

So the fact that he survives, let alone not breaking every bone in his body, takes the one redeeming feature of the first, and takes retardation to levels that I do not wish to experience.

...I will never see Crank 2. Simply because the only part of Crank that I actually thought was well done was him finally relaxing while falling from a plane to his certain death. I don't know if it was the way it was shot, or just the relief of that monstrosity being finally over, but that was the one scene that stuck with me in a good way.

So the fact that he survives, let alone not breaking every bone in his body, takes the one redeeming feature of the first, and takes retardation to levels that I do not wish to experience.

Oh, I don't blame you. It is a horrendous piece of sh*t. The only reason I watched it was because I'm on a bad movie kick.

In fact, my wife and I watched half of 'Safe' yesterday starring, yes, Jason Statham. We turned it off because we were tired, but it was really bad; but bad in a way that it's so easy to pickout the plot holes, or the absolutely unnecessary additions. It's not confusing in the sense that it's tough to follow, but confusing in the way where you are literraly scratching your head going "Why are they spending soooo much time on the character development? They've spent the first 30 minutes developing all these characters. It's not a deep movie. Also, why are there this many characters? They seem completely unnecessary." That type of confusing.

Edited by Monty

Oh, I don't blame you. It is a horrendous piece of sh*t. The only reason I watched it was because I'm on a bad movie kick.

In fact, my wife and I watched half of 'Safe' yesterday starring, yes, Jason Statham. We turned it off because we were tired, but it was really bad; but bad in a way that it's so easy to pickout the plot holes, or the absolutely unnecessary additions. It's not confusing in the sense that it's tough to follow, but confusing in the way where you are literraly scratching your head going "Why are they spending soooo much time on the character development? They've spent the first 30 minutes developing all these characters. It's not a deep movie. Also, why are there this many characters? They seem completely unnecessary." That type of confusing.

I did watch Safe when I was sick for a couple days. It went from semi-interesting, to bad, to real bad, to a simply awful last 1/4.

I did watch Safe when I was sick for a couple days. It went from semi-interesting, to bad, to real bad, to a simply awful last 1/4.

We finished watching it. So dumb. Quite a number of head scratching scenes, but the one that takes the cake is when the mayor comes into the picture. The cop asks him, "But how did he end up becoming a cage fighter?" Because he was essentially armed forces, then a police officer. The mayor's response to that question was something along the lines of, "Oh, that's an entirely different story altogether." And then they never address it for the rest of the movie!

Edited by Monty