The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

hotel transylvania - 8/10

i really enjoyed this, even though it had 2 or 3 really terrible songs, a completely predictable plot, and a lot of toilet humour--which a lot of critics apparently had a problem with (45% on RT!)

but it's written by the same guy who did Arthur Christmas (which is a fantastic movie, and totally under-appreciated). the voice acting is a bunch of SNL guys, and the animation, i thought, was nice. i thought wolfman was hilarious in particular. watched it with a friend and we laughed throughout.

can't believe this gets a bad vote while ADD trash like Wreck It Ralph gets a passing grade because it tossed Sonic into its chaotic mess for 2 seconds

Stolen (Nic Cage) - Wow/10

I will say that Nic Cage was actually ok in this. However, the music really took away from the movie, which did suck. The theme song for the film, without lyrics, played throughout the entire film. It was like music from a 70s film that you would expect during an episode of Burn Notice. It played the ALL THE TIME.

Knowing - I feel bad for the actors in this movie/10

Like Stolen, watch it because of how bad it is. Best thing in the movie is the warehouse that the bad guys are in, it pans over a bunch of them, and one of the guys is eating a candy apple!

Insomnia (2002): 8.5/10

I watched this movie a long time ago, figured a re-watch was in order when it was mentioned recently here. First Robin Williams movie I have watched since his passing and I felt a stab of sadness each time he came on the screen. Very atypical and subtle role for him, and it could have easily devolved into a melodramatic pedophile creep performance. He displayed a great range from sympathetic, charming to unnerving all very slight changes of expression. Loved it. Pacino was good too but his character felt like a tired cliche. That being said, the moral dilemmas for multiple characters all intersecting at once was great to watch. The atmosphere and score was perfect, kind of what I'd imagine a miniseries about the Highway of Tears to be like. And it was filmed in BC which obviously got me feeling a little proud.

I wish the character arc for Swank was a little different, and the ending was a little over the top. Otherwise, it's probably one of my favourite Nolan movies.

Insomnia (2002): 8.5/10

I watched this movie a long time ago, figured a re-watch was in order when it was mentioned recently here. First Robin Williams movie I have watched since his passing and I felt a stab of sadness each time he came on the screen. Very atypical and subtle role for him, and it could have easily devolved into a melodramatic pedophile creep performance. He displayed a great range from sympathetic, charming to unnerving all very slight changes of expression. Loved it. Pacino was good too but his character felt like a tired cliche. That being said, the moral dilemmas for multiple characters all intersecting at once was great to watch. The atmosphere and score was perfect, kind of what I'd imagine a miniseries about the Highway of Tears to be like. And it was filmed in BC which obviously got me feeling a little proud.

I wish the character arc for Swank was a little different, and the ending was a little over the top. Otherwise, it's probably one of my favourite Nolan movies.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Thought of another thriller you may like, released roughly around the same time as 'Insomnia'. Bill Paxton directed a film, in which he starred in with Matthew McConaughey called 'Frailty'. Haven't seen it since it was first released, but I remember it being a fairly enjoyable watch.

Edited by Monty

Glad you enjoyed it.

Thought of another thriller you may like, released roughly around the same time as 'Insomnia'. Bill Paxton directed a film, in which he starred in with Matthew McConaughey called 'Frailty'. Haven't seen it since it was first released, but I remember it being a fairly enjoyable watch.

Seen it, really enjoyed Bill Paxton and the scenes that took place in the past. The twist at the end though...meh

Have you seen Shame by any chance? I watched it when it was released but at the time, I was too put off by the nudity (and the fact that my young brother was in the next room). Considering watching it again but not sure if it's worth it.

I though Insomnia was pretty good. One of Christopher Nolan's movies that I wouldn't mind watching again. List pretty for me pretty much goes everything Batman Begins and earlier, with nothing after it.

You didn't like The Dark Knight?

Not much other than the first time I watched it. Wouldn't re-watch it if I could avoid so.

I had to sit down, drown out the expectations and hype from when it first came out and re-watch it alone about almost half a year later before I enjoyed it. I watched it opening night, found the buzz set expectations far too high at the time. A memorable moment in the theatre though was when Joker crashes the party and approaches Rachel saying "Well hello, beautiful". There was laughter throughout the audience. lmao.

Anyway, HALLOWEEN MOVIE ALERT if anyone plans on starting marathons soon. Please check out Ti West's House of the Devil, particularly if you're a fan of 60's/70's horror revolving around drawn out tension and anticipation. It's an ode to those period pieces and done extremely well. One of my favourite horror movies of the last decade.

Anyway, HALLOWEEN MOVIE ALERT if anyone plans on starting marathons soon. Please check out Ti West's House of the Devil, particularly if you're a fan of 60's/70's horror revolving around drawn out tension and anticipation. It's an ode to those period pieces and done extremely well. One of my favourite horror movies of the last decade.

To your first question about 'Shame', I watched about 15 minutes and was completely put off. Just was not my cup of tea. I may have enjoyed it 10+ years ago when I was more of a movie snob and liked dark movies quite a bit, but I can't watch them as much as I used to. My life is real enough as it is.

As for Halloween films, please PLEASE watch 'Re-Animator'. Easily the best comedy/horror film.

Edited by Monty

Stolen (Nic Cage) - Wow/10

I will say that Nic Cage was actually ok in this. However, the music really took away from the movie, which did suck. The theme song for the film, without lyrics, played throughout the entire film. It was like music from a 70s film that you would expect during an episode of Burn Notice. It played the ALL THE TIME.

Knowing - I feel bad for the actors in this movie/10

Like Stolen, watch it because of how bad it is. Best thing in the movie is the warehouse that the bad guys are in, it pans over a bunch of them, and one of the guys is eating a candy apple!

Have you seen Red Rock West. It's a fun Cage movie (made fun by Dennis Hopper more than Cage though).

My Halloween movie playlist: House of 1000 Corpses, Re-Animator, Phantasm (can't help it), I Saw the Devil, The Reflecting Skin, Martyrs, Threads, Frayed and I will now add House of the Devil to that list, tyvm. I have decided to leave the classics alone (they will likely just be on TV anyways).

that House of the Devil movie looks great, how've I not heard of it?

looking forward to the annual halloween horror round up here. Sadly I don't have much new to suggest this year. The Signal (2007) was pretty cool, granted I watched it with zero expectations:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0780607/

but otherwise a let down year for horror for me

one I'm always pushing since it's still criminally underseen, the original Hills Have Eyes from 1977:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077681/

don't let the remake scare you off, they made the bad guys a bunch of superhuman chemical mutants, in this they're just this weird backwoods desert clan of inbreds terrorizing a stranded family

I had to sit down, drown out the expectations and hype from when it first came out and re-watch it alone about almost half a year later before I enjoyed it. I watched it opening night, found the buzz set expectations far too high at the time. A memorable moment in the theatre though was when Joker crashes the party and approaches Rachel saying "Well hello, beautiful". There was laughter throughout the audience. lmao.

For me, it was just that the more I thought about the movie, the less I liked it. I was surprised by just how bored I was during the second time I watched it.

I think getting caught up in the hype was awesome, and helped me get into the movie when I first watched it. After that, the problems I had with it just became more apparent.

The movie just takes itself way too seriously. It tries to make some political statements without the self-awareness of how ham-fisted what it's saying is. The one about Batman trying to use that cellphone machine to get a better visual, and Morgan Freeman taking some massive moral stance against it? Made me lol and cringe at the same time.

For all the genericness of these newer super hero movies that keep coming out, at least they're self aware that they're about a guy in tights fighting some cartoon character who wants to take over the world. I don't think that's present in the Dark Knight. It's slightly more present in The Dark Knight Rises, but that movie has it's own problems. I said when I first reviewed it in this thread that I liked it more than The Dark Knight, but like The Dark Knight, with more time to think about it, the flaws become more obvious. A lot of it worked, but I feel that Bane could possibly be my least favourite character that I've seen in a movie. I just could not get into anything he said. That, plus the Talia al Ghul story/revelation was weak sauce,

But I really loved parts of The Dark Knight all the same. What was done with the Joker was a lot of brilliance. If I don't think too hard about it, I can enjoy the movie, as I do almost every super hero movie that has come out.

Would rather watch Batman Begins over those two any day though.