The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

Frank - WTF did I just watch/10

Seriously, I don't know what I watched. Though I'm almost certain it wasn't worth my time.

Was advertised as a comedy, but that was a lie. It had something it wanted to say about the creative process, but it didn't resonate, even though that's what it spent it's entire time harping on. Themes on indulging your insanity for the sake of art, and art as a form of personal introspection rather than something made for someone else to observe. But it all felt so pointless.

The movie bought into its own shit too much. I don't have a rating to offer, but I didn't like it.

Edited by g_bassi13

Don't even get me started on 'The Dark Knight Rises' (but I guess now I've started, so too late). To begin, I'm not really a comic book fan. Didn't really read them a lot growing up, except for Batman and a brief Punisher phase. While I love 'The Dark Knight' and believe it is better than majority of comic book films, I do think that 'Batman Begins' is the better film and the most underappreciated in the series.

But TDKR is such a brutal film; and this is a stance that took until yesterday to finally come to terms with (wife and I were watching Gotham and laughed throughout the entire show). Why so long? Quite simply, you know when you really like something, you try and convince yourself that it is better then it actually is (i.e.: Zack Kassian)? That's the case with anything related Batman for me.

It is just an absolute letdown for Nolan's Trilogy. I was going to say it was a "fail"; however, I strongly believe that his intention was to bring back The Joker for the final film, which ultimately he could not do. Because of this, I don't necessarily feel it's fair to label it a "fail" if I think his intention wasn't to go this route to begin with.

TDKR just doesn't have the same tone as the previous films, and even doesn't feel like it's in the same universe at times. Don't get me wrong, I understand that films are not real and you have to check reality at the door; however, compared to other films in the series, there are so many plot holes that have you going, Wait, what? For instance:

- Bruce Wayne is penniless and in prison. Yet, no explanation as to how he got back to Gotham; a city, I might add, which is supposedly on lockdown and not possible to get into.

- He has a bad knee, right? So were to believe that Bane and Co. just left his magical knee fixing brace on when he shuffled him off to prison?

- At no point throughout the film did I ever think that Christian Bale and Anne Hathaway would actually end up together, because they had zero chemistry, and showed no interest in having a relationship. Incredibly bizarre.

- Joseph Gordon Levitt could just tell that Bruce Wayne was Batman, because they were both orphans and he could see by the look on Waynes face who he really was, a man who dressed up like a bat to fight criminals.

- No vetting process for who is going to work at Wayne Manor for functions. So Selina Kyle can just waltz in without issue? And its not as if it was impossible to figure out who she was, because Bruce Wayne and Alfred were able to find out her real identity in a manner of seconds later that evening.

- As much as I like Cillian Murphy, just throwing him for good measure was almost insulting to his character.

- Near the end, the police all rush down the street, no flanking, just straight down the street. Keep in mind, they have no guns. So essentially in the months that the city has been on lockdown, the cops have forgotten everything about basic strategy and resort to being cannon fodder?

- Banes absolutely anti-climatic death. Just gets blown across the room. Nobody checks his body to see if hes actually dead or not (I kept thinking he was going to come back). Not only that, but Bruce Wayne wont kill someone, but apparently he doesnt have a problem if a woman, who we are meant to believe by the end of the movie he loves, does kill someone (i.e. Bane)?

- Almost every single police officer in the city of Gotham goes into the sewer to capture Bane and Co? I dont remember the last time every police officer was called to one particular incident, leaving the rest of the city vulnerable to attack. Again, apparently the police department only had one plan from the get go. At no point did someone speak up and say, Hey guys, I dont think its a good idea for all of us to go, seems like a really bad idea.

- After everything Alfred has been through with Bruce, he decides that this time is too much for him?

On one hand, I dont want to overanalyze a film too much, especially a comic book film. However, when a film is in a series, you have to judge it and hold it to the standards that have been set throughout the series. And TDKR is such a misfire in tone and plot compared to the first two films. The more I think about it and rate it, I really dont know if this is anything more than a 5/10, at best.

Edited by Monty
  • Upvote 2

Glad you got that off your chest Monty :lol:

Finally watched Django Unchained this past weekend. 7/10

It was good and typically Tarantino (dialogue driven, lots of gore etc) but it seemed to be lacking something for me that I can't quite put my finger on. I think maybe it wasn't quite "cheeky" enough for me. Most of his films almost feel like he's sitting beside you and occasionally nudging you with his elbow and giving you a wink and that feeling seemed lacking here.

Otherwise, a thoroughly enjoyable typically, clever trip and Waltz is always fun to watch work.

Glad you got that off your chest Monty :lol:

Finally watched Django Unchained this past weekend. 7/10

It was good and typically Tarantino (dialogue driven, lots of gore etc) but it seemed to be lacking something for me that I can't quite put my finger on. I think maybe it wasn't quite "cheeky" enough for me. Most of his films almost feel like he's sitting beside you and occasionally nudging you with his elbow and giving you a wink and that feeling seemed lacking here.

Otherwise, a thoroughly enjoyable typically, clever trip and Waltz is always fun to watch work.

I've been thinking about going back an giving Django a second watch. I liked it the first time, but definitely took issue with the ending, particularly relating to Waltz' character. The entire movie he was so careful and calculated, and then completely put everything in jeopardy when he decides to

Kill Leo's character

Once that happened, you get the inevitable bloodbath.

I've been thinking about going back an giving Django a second watch. I liked it the first time, but definitely took issue with the ending, particularly relating to Waltz' character. The entire movie he was so careful and calculated, and then completely put everything in jeopardy when he decides to

Kill Leo's character

Once that happened, you get the inevitable bloodbath.

I took it as he realized he'd been bested and that Candie was still @#$%'ing with him (the handshake) and that it was still unlikely Candie was going to let them simply walk out the front door anyway. So he said to himself "@#$% it, I'll get him first and hopefully Django and his wife can fight their way out".

Sideways 8/10. Stars the under rated Paul Giamatti and Thomas Hayden Church.

It's all about the dialogue in this one. This is a really well written script.

The Hundred-Foot Journey. 7/10

Story of an Indian family who leaves India for France and opens an Indian restaurant across from a Michelin rated French restaurant. Some of it is a tad hokey as is to be expected when two cultures collide. Overall it was well done.

Helen Mirren was quite good in it.

Plus you get to look at Charlotte Le Bon for 2 hours.

Edited by nuckin_futz

Would rather watch Batman Begins over those two any day though.

yeah me too - at least that one was unabashedly over the top with the mountain top fighting scenes etc.

I remember liking it anyways, but haven't watched since the 2nd and 3rd ruined the series for me.

- Almost every single police officer in the city of Gotham goes into the sewer to capture Bane and Co? I dont remember the last time every police officer was called to one particular incident, leaving the rest of the city vulnerable to attack.

Die Hard 3?

monty, why do you watch so many bad movies? i mean, why do you seek them out?

Sideways 8/10. Stars the under rated Paul Giamatti and Thomas Hayden Church.

It's all about the dialogue in this one. This is a really well written script.

haven't seen this in a few years, but i remember loving it so much when i first saw it. really due for a re-watch

and i dunno anyone who doesn't consider Giamatti one of the finest actors around. i'm not sure he's underrated so much as he's under appreciated by a lot of people

monty, why do you watch so many bad movies? i mean, why do you seek them out?

I started listening to the comedy podcast "How Did This Get Made?", starring Paul Scheer, June Diane Raphael, and Jason Mantzoukas. So the wife and I have started watching a lot of terrible films. The best/worst ones that have been absolutely fantastic to make fun of while watching have been Drive Angry and Stolen, both Nic Cage joints.

The Dark Knight Rises is unabashedly awful. Batman Begins is alright, and The Dark Knight is an alright crime movie, but a terrible Batman movie.

When I say that, I mean Batman is not in it. The "Batman" in TDK is a rich thug in a cape. Thats not Batman.

I started listening to the comedy podcast "How Did This Get Made?", starring Paul Scheer, June Diane Raphael, and Jason Mantzoukas. So the wife and I have started watching a lot of terrible films. The best/worst ones that have been absolutely fantastic to make fun of while watching have been Drive Angry and Stolen, both Nic Cage joints.

I've heard that every time a terrible movie gets made in Hollywood, Cage and Keanu Reeves both get a royalty...

Hey Hodor, one of my favorite Halloween flicks is 13 Ghosts.A bit of a different take on the horror genre, but I thought it was pretty good. Might be worth checking out.

and if you enjoyed Sideways, check out Barney's Version. now that is a totally under-appreciated movie starring Giamatti and Dustin Hoffman, based on Mordecai Richler's story of the same name

totally flew under the radar. I thought it was fantastic

I enjoyed Sideways, has more full male nudity than an episode of Game of Thrones, but is still enjoyable.

Barney's Version is a very good movie, although I am not a big fan of Rosamund Pike. Speedman and Driver on the other hand, were very entertaining.

Gigli - Stopped it after 40 minutes

Ben Affleck as some hired goon, Jennifer Lopez as a lesbian goon, and Justin Bartha as a mentally challenged individual that they have to look after. What?

Edited by Monty