The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

Fast poll: I have the choice to go & see either Dracula Untold or The Maze...tonight.

So which one should I go to see & why?

And its after the game....hockey 1st! A lot of sitting, I know - but I promised - so make it worth my while!

Thanks! :)

Edited by viking mama

Watched this one as a kid, which I'm sure scarred me in some way, but all I remember is the off the wall ending. Had to ask though - since you're on this kick of b-movies, have you watched any of the Troma movies?

A lot of them are on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/user/Tromamovies

I haven't, no. But I will definitely check them out.

Sleepaway Camp - ? / 10

Enjoyed it a lot at the beginning, but less so as the movie went on. The cheese started to blend together when there weren't enough stand out moments to hold up the whole thing.

More than anything, the dialogue and its delivery made the movie. A lot of quotable lines, but again, mostly at the beginning. My other favourites include Judy wearing a pink shirt that said "Judy" on it. Monty pretty much covered all the memorable things

I thought it was a bit of a decent whodunit, until they kept hinting at the truth so heavily that it became obvious. Also knowing there was a twist going in, it made me on the look for possibilities that were out of the ordinary.

That final shot though... That was weird. Not in a sense of "haha that was funny" kind of weird, but instead a, "someone please flush that image out of my head", type of weird. It's probably stuck there. and if anything, kind of ruins the movie for me, lol.

It was worth my time to see this movie, but it's not something I want to watch again. Probably because of that ending. Would say I've seen a lot of better bad movies, though I guess by that same token most are not as memorable as Sleepaway Camp.

Re: The ending, I mean right off the bat they showed two people dying, but the son swimming in the lake. I accepted I was wrong when I saw that it was the "son" that died, but it came back as too obvious a point of contention when thinking about why Angela wouldn't take her clothes off. and reinforced by that flashback with her dad in bed with that guy. Again, I knew there was a twist going in, but anyone armed with that knowledge should really not be caught off guard by the revelation.

I love how angry everybody is in the movie. These kids lose their minds on each other so quickly, especially Ricky. That kid cusses like I've never heard. When Angela gets hit by a water balloon, he acts as though they raped her.

Also, when Meg (who's supposed to be 16), tells everyone that she has a "hot date." She's going on a date wth the camp owner who is at least 60 years old. So good.

Fast poll: I have the choice to go & see either Dracula Untold or The Maze...tonight.

So which one should I go to see & why?

And its after the game....hockey 1st! A lot of sitting, I know - but I promised - so make it worth my while!

Thanks! :)

Haven't seen either, and won't. However, I'd go with Dracula Untold, simply because it's October and it look legit terrible. Edited by Monty

Gone Girl - 7/10

I had high hopes going into this one, simply because of Fincher. From a technical standpoint, it's exactly what you would expect of him: menacing ambient soundscape, beautifully shot, and well paced. I think my praise kind of ends there...the story reads like a low level page turner with a complete disregard of the intelligence of the audience.

I didn't like the "twist", and I did not like how the plot dealt with the reveal. In many ways, the movie reminds me of Side Effect by Steven Soderbergh starring Jude Law and Rooney Mara.

22 Jump Street - 6.5/10

I dunno, it was pretty blah. I laughed more than enough, but I was thinking of how much better I liked the first one the whole time. I think the first one had the right balance of self-reference and self-depreciation, and while this movie was right to joke about its existence, and was often hilarious about it, it began to come off as smarmy after a while.

It still felt a little tired, despite trying to overcome that by being about as upfront with it as they possibly could. Began to have the reverse effect.

Still a comedy that was better than most you'll find though.

Gone Girl - 10/10. David Fincher and Rosamund Pike killed it.

This isn't a movie to see with your parents.

Right, because we all know our parents can't handle adult content. Edited by Monty
  • Upvote 2

Gravity 5/10

I'm a sucker for space so I found this movie to be entertaining. However, it truly wasn't that good and I'm wondering how it was nominated for best picture when it came out. First, I'm no physicist but I'm pretty sure there were a lot of key things in that movie that wouldn't actually be possible. Second, pretty sure the protagonist should have died when she

ran out of oxygen

.Third, I didn't find any of the acting to be believable.

Gravity 5/10

I'm a sucker for space so I found this movie to be entertaining. However, it truly wasn't that good and I'm wondering how it was nominated for best picture when it came out. First, I'm no physicist but I'm pretty sure there were a lot of key things in that movie that wouldn't actually be possible. Second, pretty sure the protagonist should have died when she

ran out of oxygen

.Third, I didn't find any of the acting to be believable.

I understand why it got nominated. The technical achievement alone is remarkable. And while I'm no Sandi Bullock fan, I can only imagine how difficult it must be to do the majority of your acting not only by yourself, but almost entirely against green screen. When you put all those things together, it's remarkable that a film like that kept anybody entertained.

Also, who cares whether a film was nominated or not? Some of the best films were never nominated for an award, and that means little in the long run (i.e. Vertigo).

They have awards for technical achievements...just saying.

"And while I'm no Sandi Bullock fan, I can only imagine how difficult it must be to do the majority of your acting not only by yourself, but almost entirely against green screen. When you put all those things together, it's remarkable that a film like that kept anybody entertained."

Sorry, I noticed that you neglected to copy the rest of my post in your reply. I know that you didn't intentionally mean to respond to one part of my post (in the same paragraph), which implies that I only think it got nominated based solely on technical achievement.