The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

Interstellar - 9/10

A very impressive movie. I particularly liked how many of the plots points were actually somewhat feasible. I also like how they destroyed the common concept of stable time. Very intellectually stimulating.

North by Northwest - 9/10

One of my favourite Hitchcock films it's still an excellent film 50+ years later though there's some late 1950's moments of "quaintness" that has a little trouble holding up today.

Overall though, it's an excellent thriller. Well written, acted and paced.

North by Northwest - 9/10

One of my favourite Hitchcock films it's still an excellent film 50+ years later though there's some late 1950's moments of "quaintness" that has a little trouble holding up today.

Overall though, it's an excellent thriller. Well written, acted and paced.

One of my all-time favorites.

While the whole film is absolutely fantastic, my favorite moment is the "not-so subtle" train entering the tunnel at the end of the film. Sex sells, even back in the 50s.

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - 7/10

I actually enjoyed this one more than the other 2. Had a little more character development. Haven't (and won't) read the books, so I'm not sure how things unfold compared to the films, but this one had quite a few plot holes and misfires that really brought my rating down.

I enjoyed myself more than I did in the first two, though.

There were a couple pet peeves of mine about Part 1.. namely the absence of Enobaria, while Meta Golding was all over the place pitching for Part 1. My wife, who is far more a fan of this series, had other issues with it, but it's to be expected of any film. I have much higher expectations for Part 2.

I think the ending should have emphasized more overtly.. i.e. less subtly like it did..

That President Coin is looking a bit like a crazy dictator too.

Edited by Mr. Ambien

can't believe some of you guys are actually watching that mockingjay stuff

is this a wife thing?

movie looks horrible

yeah I am not bothering either haha.

question time.

1. is fury leaked on the bay? (directed at you specifically)

2. I want to go through Philip Seymour Hoffman's entire filmography this winter break. Capote aside, what are some of your favourites? (directed at everyone in the thread)

2. I want to go through Philip Seymour Hoffman's entire filmography this winter break. Capote aside, what are some of your favourites? (directed at everyone in the thread)

I want to see, "Before the Devil Knows You're Dead".

A feel good Christmas movie I am kind of excited about (fantastic trailer eh?)

I really enjoyed Clint Eastwood's Letters from Iwo Jima. Flags of Our Fathers was a little too gung ho for my tastes. Regardless, I guess I have high expectations for the movie given his track record. HOWEVER, the problem is that the person, Chris Kyle, was a legitimate bigot and sociopath who was a compulsive liar. His autobiography goes into it in detail and the initial reviews are saying this movie is portraying him as...anything but what he really was.

I don't know what to expect anymore. I guess it can be a good action movie still.

In no particular order:

1. Boogie Nights - great in his small role

2. The Big Lebowski - everyone steals scenes in that film, but PSH is so good with his uncomfortable laughing

3. Magnolia - Of all the powerhouse performances in this ensemble cast, Hoffman is by far the strongest

4. Punch Drunk Love - The only film where Adam Sandler is tolerable. Hoffman is phenomenal, as usual.

5. Red Dragon - Very underrated film. Hoffman is largely ignored, but worth watching anyway, especially due to Ralph Fiennes' performance.

6. 25th Hour - I only like 2 Spike Lee movies. Not surprisingly, he didn't write either of them.

7. Cold Mountain - I was surprised by how much I liked this movie. Hoffman's role is secondary and largely forgettable.

8. Charlie Wilson's War - I need to watch this again, because all I remember was how terrific Hoffman was.

9. The Savages - Haven't seen it, but heard it was really good.

10. Doubt - I'd say it's worth watching. I liked it, but I don't think I'd watch it again.

11.The Master - Ridiculously underrated.

I didn't like The Talented Mr. Ripley, so I personally wouldn't recommend it. As for a "fluff" film, he was really good in Mission Impossible 3, although the movie was "meh", at best. Haven't seen A Most Wanted Man yet, but that is on my list to see.

DO NOT WATCH "Synecdoche, New York." I love PSH and Catherine Keener, but this film is 2 hours of Charlie Kaufman patting his back as he sucks his own d*ck. The most pretentious garbage I have ever had the displeasure of sitting through.

Edited by Monty

yeah I am not bothering either haha.

question time.

1. is fury leaked on the bay? (directed at you specifically)

ya fury leaked. some Sony email thing was hacked or something, so i think 4 or 5 movies leaked. none that interest me except Fury and Mr Turner (if you're into period pieces about artists?)

and

i tried to make a list of PSH movies, but after looking at IMDB, he's been in literally a whole bunch of my favourites. strange. honestly, i don't think you can go wrong with these ones. maybe you won't enjoy them, but they are certainly interesting.

punch drunk love

synecdoche, new york

happiness

the master

capote

almost famous (small role)

big lebowski (small role)

boogie nights

nobody's fool (don't remember role, but when i was young i really enjoyed this for some reason. probably just seems like a typical 'bitter old man' movie now)

ides of march (small role, i think)

moneyball

bolded ones are my favs that he plays a lead in. also thought Joaquin Phoenix kills it in The Master. totally underappreciated, IMO

i never saw the savages, pirate radio, or doubt. but i want to

actually, idr if PSH plays lead in the master, but its good anyway

Edited by GLASSJAW

DO NOT WATCH "Synecdoche, New York." I love PSH and Catherine Keener, but this film is 2 hours of Charlie Kaufman patting his back as he sucks his own d*ck. The most pretentious garbage I have ever had the displeasure of sitting through.

monty has absolutely no idea what he's talking about

watch this, it's great

A feel good Christmas movie I am kind of excited about (fantastic trailer eh?)

I really enjoyed Clint Eastwood's Letters from Iwo Jima. Flags of Our Fathers was a little too gung ho for my tastes. Regardless, I guess I have high expectations for the movie given his track record. HOWEVER, the problem is that the person, Chris Kyle, was a legitimate bigot and sociopath who was a compulsive liar. His autobiography goes into it in detail and the initial reviews are saying this movie is portraying him as...anything but what he really was.

I don't know what to expect anymore. I guess it can be a good action movie still.

what's with the title though

pick a word, put "american" in front of it

= movie

i never saw the savages, pirate radio, or doubt. but i want to

Doubt is definitely worth watching, just not more than once.

Pirate Radio is incredibly forgettable. While I like all the actors in it, it was nothing more than a "background music" movie.

Doubt is definitely worth watching, just not more than once.

Pirate Radio is incredibly forgettable. While I like all the actors in it, it was nothing more than a "background music" movie.

that's what i figured and probably why i never bothered, but just saw that it has 7.4 on IMDB which is a pretty decent score so i re-added it to the way, way bottom of my list

Fury: 7/10

thought it was really good (maybe even great) until the last 30 minutes. a couple of really great scenes of dramatic tension, but i thought the action sequences were just a bit too much. sometimes less is more

still good movie though

the more i think about this movie the more i think maybe it's actually kind of bad. for those of you who have seen it...

what's even the point of the movie? it's obviously a ready-made plot. we already know who wins. we already know about valor. we already know about the enemy.. so where's the drama? i enjoyed the tension in the dinner table sequence, but even that just seems like an inverted sequence or two from Inglorious Basterds

we already know the character tropes/types: the new guy, the religious guy, the idiot hillbilly, the strong leader. but what's he even leading?

pitt says the tank is his 'home,' but why? why not just go hide in the bushes for an hour and wait for the germans to pass? there is literally no reason for them to try to stay and defend it. none at all, other than to fulfil the whole "last stand" trope. but the last stand holds absolutely no relevance to the story at all. the conclusion of the plot does not rely on the tank being fixed or rebuilt or even held.

the movie is leading up to that one final battle, but the one final battle could have easily been avoided, and we know by the conclusion that had they simply hid or ran away for a few hours, they would have been saved. so... what's the point?

what's the point in telling a fictionalized story about world war 2 in 2014 if that story does not go beyond the tropes and paint by numbers story we've seen so many times before?

Edited by GLASSJAW