The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

Speaking of Tom Hardy, anybody seen that movie Locke?

Just watched it and was shocked at how heavy and engaging it was despite the entire film being Tom Hardy driving in a car, taking and making phone calls. Tom Hardy has an incredible ability to make me feel sad, but in a good way because it's due to his superb acting.

Locke is in my top 5 films from 2014. So great. The older I get, the more I drift away from heavier films, opting more and more to just turn off my brain and just be entertained.

However, Locke was absolutely incredible. Loved the message that doing the right thing can ultimately wreck the happy life you are accustomed to; but that a man should be "man enough" to ultimately do the right thing.

My wife, who hates realistic films films because they depress her, also loved it due to the message.

• Upvote 2

Locke is in my top 5 films from 2014. So great. The older I get, the more I drift away from heavier films, opting more and more to just turn off my brain and just be entertained.

However, Locke was absolutely incredible. Loved the message that doing the right thing can ultimately wreck the happy life you are accustomed to; but that a man should be "man enough" to ultimately do the right thing.

My wife, who hates realistic films films because they depress her, also loved it due to the message.

I know what you mean. As I get older I care less and less about "heavy" movies. I get enough of reality in my real life (even though I have a much easier life than many).

I also enjoyed Locke. I guess it would be top-5 for me too...but I barely watched that many 2014 movies, so that's not saying much.

Oh, I never said it wasn't terrible. It is absolutely brutal. But I only watched it because Hardy was in it and was the only reason why I kept watching. Had he not been in it, the fact that Reese Witherspoon was in it was reason enough for me not to watch.

Although I don't care for Reese all that much, she's been in some good movies:

Mud

The Good Lie

Walk the Line

American Psycho

Election

...But if you happen to catch the words "romantic" and "comedy" in the tag line of one of her movies, then yeah, stay the hell away.

I think I'll have to use two ratings for this one.

Film Sophistication: 10/10

Film Enjoyment: 6.5/10

The production of the film is astonishing. It is an extraordinarily executed picture, celebrating ordinary life. I wanted to love his picture, but I just couldn't. Being a socially awkward Asian boy, I really didn't relate to Mason, except for the part of his life when his dad was the old professor. I also just didn't like Mason. I know it is supposed to be a laid back and grounded picture, but his gloomy and depressing character just kind of annoyed me. I liked Patricia Arquette and Ethan Hawke quite a bit, but I felt no closure with those characters.

it's weird how i've heard a few 'non-white' people say stuff like this, yet i have literally never, ever, ever said anything to this effect when watching an asian or middle eastern, european, or african movie

i guess my question for you is, to what degree do you have to relate to, or like a main character for you to enjoy a movie, book, etc.?

i don't think you're necessarily supposed to like Mason. he's a very typical teenager. into solipsism, sorta whiny, and into photography (cliche!). teenagers are annoying and/or stupid as hell. and that's why i, personally, thought it was brilliant top to bottom: it was extremely realistic. to what degree it reflected my reality doesn't necessarily matter, though the fact that it was about the 'normal' north american experience does help my appreciation, i'm sure

anyway, fact that it was sorta depressing, occasionally annoying, no closure, etc. just made it all the more authentic for me

Although I don't care for Reese all that much, she's been in some good movies:

Mud

The Good Lie

Walk the Line

American Psycho

Election

...But if you happen to catch the words "romantic" and "comedy" in the tag line of one of her movies, then yeah, stay the hell away.

I keep forgetting she was in American Pyscho.

As for starring roles, the only role I liked her in was Election. As strong as Broderick was, that movie was all Reese.

Barely remember Walk the Line.

Outside of those, there's not much I want to see. The New Terminator and Jurassic Park movies had trailers that turned me off the movies rather than help me get excited for them.

I would have like to have seen Edgar Wright's Ant Man, but their letting him to go due to creative issues, and hiring the guy known for Yes Man and The Break-Up tells me everything I need to know about it already.

lol ya. i mean, i probably wouldn't have watched Ant Man either way, but that's such a huuuuuge red flag right there. sorta wanna boycott it just for that story

but i totally agree about Jurassic Park. i legit love the original to this day. but oh my god, the new trailer, i think, is such a let down. creating new dinosaurs (as if actual dinosaurs aren't interesting enough?), the cgi, and the no-name director they somehow, for some reason attached to this billion dollar project is beyond me (of course, you have to ask who is actually behind the project in that case)

lol ya. i mean, i probably wouldn't have watched Ant Man either way, but that's such a huuuuuge red flag right there. sorta wanna boycott it just for that story

but i totally agree about Jurassic Park. i legit love the original to this day. but oh my god, the new trailer, i think, is such a let down. creating new dinosaurs (as if actual dinosaurs aren't interesting enough?), the cgi, and the no-name director they somehow, for some reason attached to this billion dollar project is beyond me (of course, you have to ask who is actually behind the project in that case)

While I share skepticism over Jurassic World, as I adore the first one, I'm not too concerned with the director, as Safety Not Guaranteed was one of my favorite films from 2012.

That said, he is also writing Jurassic World (along with the writer of SNG), so if it does suck (which it looks like), then it's less because of his directing and more due to his writing.

I keep forgetting she was in American Pyscho.

As for starring roles, the only role I liked her in was Election. As strong as Broderick was, that movie was all Reese.

Barely remember Walk the Line.

I guess the times Reese fits a movie is when you're not supposed to like her character all that much. You were supposed to find her annoying as hell in Election. You were supposed to hate her in Mud.

...The problem is when you are supposed to like her...

I guess the times Reese fits a movie is when you're not supposed to like her character all that much. You were supposed to find her annoying as hell in Election. You were supposed to hate her in Mud.

...The problem is when you are supposed to like her...

Reminds me of Leno...all you see is a chin and all you hear is an annoying voice :lol:

Anyone seen boyhood?

Yep. Loved it. Think I gave it 9.5. Best movie of 2014 so far for me and I'll be impressed if something surpasses it.

Quite a few people reviewed it when it first came out (Aug-Oct-ish if you wanna look back) and it seemed more or less unanimously liked. Even some people who aren't typically into slow/quiet movies were surprisingly moved by it. For me it was the feeling afterwards, like I can't remember ever being that emotionally connected to the characters. Not just in a surface way, but I felt like those were real people I'd known and interacted with. Typically I only get that feeling from really good books.

On an unrelated note, fried my laptop the other day with a cup of coffee, just got it going again today. holy crap, screener season is in full swing all of a sudden.

I watched The Grand Budapest Hotel last night and I'm fairly sure it is going to end in my all-time top 10. I do love me some Wes Anderson, but this is his finest movie yet. Ralph Fiennes is amazing as is Adrien Brody. I seriously can't recommend it enough if you are at all inclined to like that style of movie.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I watched The Grand Budapest Hotel last night and I'm fairly sure it is going to end in my all-time top 10. I do love me some Wes Anderson, but this is his finest movie yet. Ralph Fiennes is amazing as is Adrien Brody. I seriously can't recommend it enough if you are at all inclined to like that style of movie.

Not my favourite WA film but I agree, thoroughly enjoyed it.

Yeah, Grand Budapest was very good.

Not sure why you thought Adrien Brody stood out though. Thought he was one of the least effective of a strong ensemble. I especially enjoyed Willem Dafoe's performance, along with whoever played the girl.

Yeah, Grand Budapest was very good.

Not sure why you thought Adrien Brody stood out though. Thought he was one of the least effective of a strong ensemble. I especially enjoyed Willem Dafoe's performance, along with whoever played the girl.

I was not too kind when I reviewed Grand Budapest. However, I found out that it was definitely the mood I was in when I first watched it. Sat down with my wife, who had not yet seen it, about 2 weeks ago. Loved it the second time around.

The girl was played by Saoirse Ronan. Her most notable roles were in Atonement, The Lovely Bones (though I don't know why anyone would have watched it), and Hanna (criminally underrated).