The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

Boogie Nights 8.5

Wanted to rewatch some Paul Thomas, got like 20 min in and realized I never actually saw this. Not that I remember anyway, just a few of the scenes from youtube (pool party, Alfred Molina running around in a speedo with a shotgun), but it's damn good. Ending was a little rushed and happily-ever-after.

Nice to be reminded PTA can be really really funny when he wants to. I'm so pumped for INherent Vice. Maybe Punch Drunk Love next. I know I watched that but only once when it came out and I don't remember much from it.

Still to this day my favourite movie of all-time. Best characters ever. Best soundtrack ever.

Gone Girl - 7

Not super impressed. Still a technically fine movie and very entertaining, but the first half was rushed (by far the most cinematic scene in the book was cut down to ~10 sec.) and the second part stretched out pointlessly. I guess the book is always better anyway. Good but could have been much better.

Edited by The Bookie

Grand Budapest Hotel 8/10

I'm not the biggest WA fan, his movies usually strike me as pretty things with hollow substance, but this was the most fun I've had watching one since Life Aquatic. Guess I prefer it when he drops the pretense of a deeper emo message and just has fun telling a story.

Willem Dafoe has quietly become one of my favorite actors.

Edited by The Bookie

also the latest Trailer Park Boys movie on the wknd, whatever it was called, but not really worth rating. I like the show alright, not a mega-fan but it generally gets a few laughs/episode from me, but the concept always seems to fall apart when they try to stretch movie-length plot arcs out of it; don't know why I keep watching them.

finished True Blood: 5.5/10

really awful show 50% of the time. but there were a couple good seasons in hindsight. entertaining at times. but the so called 'camp' aspects were just too out of control for my taste. worst finale i've ever seen in a show, literally ever

tumblr_nau990X6YE1suijfxo1_500.gif

Edited by GLASSJAW

Locke - 7/10

Can you really make a good movie with just one actor driving and talking? If that actor is Tom Hardy, then hell yeah.

Been a couple months since I watched it, and I still think about it from time to time. This is the type of movie my wife usually hates (i.e.

The not so happy ending for ol' Locke

However, she loved the message that

"The right thing to do does not mean the best outcome for you and those around you"

Trying to think about films set in one room that were a good watch. The first that comes to mind is Buried with Ryan Reynolds. While not terrific, it was very well done. Dial M for Murder is a great Hitchcock film set in one location.

Thought there was another I watched recently. But I guess not.

Trying to think about films set in one room that were a good watch. The first that comes to mind is Buried with Ryan Reynolds. While not terrific, it was very well done. Dial M for Murder is a great Hitchcock film set in one location.

Thought there was another I watched recently. But I guess not.

Yeah, I enjoyed Buried as well. Very good (if not great) movie.

But the drama in Buried was definitely less subtle than in Locke. On paper, Locke sounds like a movie that should never have been made. And yet, done right, and in the hands of an excellent actor, it was unique, and had a gritty realism that made its message all the more affective.

Yeah, I enjoyed Buried as well. Very good (if not great) movie.

But the drama in Buried was definitely less subtle than in Locke. On paper, Locke sounds like a movie that should never have been made. And yet, done right, and in the hands of an excellent actor, it was unique, and had a gritty realism that made its message all the more affective.

Also featured voices from the guy who plays Moriarty from Sherlock and the girl who plays Alice from Luther.

the wild bunch - 8.5/10

can't believe i hadn't seen this before. i like Sam Peckinpah's work, generally speaking, and i love (good) westerns. i could definitely appreciate how grizzly and dirty this movie is. the only thing that was really keeping it back was the 60s/early 70s camera techniques and style.

actually very much reminded me of the game Red Dead Redemption.

gone girl - 6.5-7/10

not sure why people are loving this so much. i thought the second half was so outrageous and impossible to believe that it really took from what i imagine to be the tension and 'weirdness' of it all

didn't particularly get much from the 'messages' about love/marriage, media, whatever. i dunno. honestly, it just really reminded me of that endless barrage of 'thriller' movies from the mid 90s. harrison ford shoulda been in here somewhere

i will add that for a two and a half hour Fincher movie, i thought the pacing was quite good, which is something I've always struggled with in most of his movies