The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

Draft Day - 3.5/10 Started off very well for the first 40 minutes, but it trailed off miserably towards the end. You already knew what was going to happen, that's one thing. What was far worse was how exactly it happened. If it was all about the character of that Lavonte guy he picked, what do we really see? He comes off as an entitled and whiny jack ass. So was that Bo Callaghan guy sure, but what killed all the tension is that there were no realistic alternatives beyond him for the first overall pick. Just a top 10 running back and a top 20 linebacker. So you're supposed to feel good when the whiny Lavonte gets his payday by being picked first? Like being a 15th overall pick in the NFL wouldn't afford him the money to begin taking care of his nephews? And they wrap it up with a bunch of unrealistic arm turning by Costner on a bunch of GM's that make no sense. They act like he knew what he was doing the whole time, when it started with him having a panic attack. But he didn't regret it because he knew he was going to take that top 20 linebacker 1st overall the whole time, as evidenced by that piece of paper he wrote at the beginning? Then why the hell were we even watching the movie like he had a decision he was making? And what the hell happens to the cap situation they were trying to balance earlier in the movie when they have to also fit in the 7th overall and a premier kick returner to the whole thing? God, frack this movie, lol. It tries to be so sentimental, without proving why it's ending was the happy one. And it's so full of logical inconsistencies and conveniences that push it there. Very, very poorly written. I liked that Jennings guy they ended up taking, but I hope that the Brown's team failed miserably that year, and that Bo Callaghan torched them for 7 touchdowns in their matchup. And someone need to drop kick Costner's mom. Why the hell would anyone need approval from that awful hag?
This was a terrible, terrible movie.

Predestination 8/10

This was pretty fun. Not without its flaws, but I'm a sucker for time travel/loop/paradox movies, and this was like Primer-meets-Looper.

So as I understand it, aside from the agency recruiter Robertson, all the major characters were really the same person...?

man, I just finished re-watching The Office (UK version, of course). this is easily a 10/10 for me. almost 15 years old and still hilarious.

if you haven't seen it yet, I highly recommend it if you like awkward, cringe-y humour

I really should rewatch that. It was the first 'binge watch' for me, a co-worker gave me both seasons on DVD about ten years ago and I devoured them over a weekend. Haven't watched it since.

Oggy Oggy Oggy! Oi Oi Oi!

I really should rewatch that. It was the first 'binge watch' for me, a co-worker gave me both seasons on DVD about ten years ago and I devoured them over a weekend. Haven't watched it since.

Oggy Oggy Oggy! Oi Oi Oi!

Yeah, at 12 episodes, 30 min/per, it's only a few hours. well worth it IMO. holds up very well. it's actually even better than i remember, and i *loved* it the first time.

gonna re-do Extras now, or maybe Fawlty Towers I think. really in the mood for British humour lately

Yeah, at 12 episodes, 30 min/per, it's only a few hours. well worth it IMO. holds up very well. it's actually even better than i remember, and i *loved* it the first time.

gonna re-do Extras now, or maybe Fawlty Towers I think. really in the mood for British humour lately

While I absolutely love The Office, to me Extras is the most rewatchable and enjoyable. One of my all time favourite shows.

Hunger games mockingjay part 1 - 5/10

The movie should be called Jennifer Lawrence whines, cries and pouts for 2 hours.

Enjoyed the action sequences but I can't take Lawrence seriously as an actress anymore. Movie also loses points for being a 2-parter. Stupid cash grab gimmick

Edited by Tangelos

low down - 5.5/10. movie about a heroin junkie jazz pianist and his daughter

wanted to like it, but really didn't towards the end. so many of the reviews were saying how bleak it is and all of that. by the end, it was almost like a comedy with how dark it 'tried' to get. a few actors from Game of Thrones (Cerci, or whatever her name is, and Dinklage). And from Deadwood as well. but... yeah. Good music, and an interesting look at that world... buuuuuuuuuuuuut zero emotion, despite overselling emotion big time.

Why do so many movies that depict the 70s have to have that filter that looks like it has a layer of pee on it? I get that everything had nasty yellow and earthy brown tones, but come on. The entire world did not have jaundice

Why do so many movies that depict the 70s have to have that filter that looks like it has a layer of pee on it? I get that everything had nasty yellow and earthy brown tones, but come on. The entire world did not have jaundice

Forgot where I read it but the filters used are predictable genre to genre. A lot of sci fi films now use green filters (think Matrix), post apocalyptic movies use grey, horror movies use blue. Things in the desert and the 70s are almost always yellow.

Forgot where I read it but the filters used are predictable genre to genre. A lot of sci fi films now use green filters (think Matrix), post apocalyptic movies use grey, horror movies use blue. Things in the desert and the 70s are almost always yellow.

I get the general statement you're trying to make, but I'm struggling to think of any Sci-Fi movies that are Green-ish outside the matrix. Sci-Fi is traditionally blue, and that's still the standard. Post apocalyptic stuff is always washed over in a browish-beige, and that's one thing that annoys me about the genre, along the lines of what Glassjaw was saying,

I get the general statement you're trying to make, but I'm struggling to think of any Sci-Fi movies that are Green-ish outside the matrix. Sci-Fi is traditionally blue, and that's still the standard. Post apocalyptic stuff is always washed over in a browish-beige, and that's one thing that annoys me about the genre, along the lines of what Glassjaw was saying,

Terminator Salvation, The Road, Book of Eli felt really grey. Re: green, maybe I'm misremembering. Probably blue.

Title: Downloaded

My Rating: 7.5/10

Released: 2013

Viewed on: Netflix Canada

IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2033981/

Pretty interesting documentary about the guys from Napster and the download revolution. I could relate to this having gone through the music distribution/format evolution from the 70's thru 2000's and really enjoyed the trip down memory lane. I miss the good ole BBS days of the 90's.

Edited by Toni Zamboni

The Homesman 8/10

Tommy Lee Jones and Hilary Swank carting three crazy ladies around the old west in a wagon didn't sound too appealing to me, but, better than expected. I mainly watched this because of a making of feature I saw, where the composers built a giant piano on the hillside of the set, with these long giant guitar strings stretching down, and they would saw away and play the music live ... pretty cool stuff.

Overall. Beautiful cinematography, seemed like tight editing. I think. It's hard to judge editing as a viewer, but it's more like it feels right - they pulled off several stark cuts, like going from a night fire scene to waking up to a group of indians with facepaint watching them from a cliff. Seamless.

The ending was random & silly - one of the best in recent memory too.

^ tommy lee jones is a p decent director actually. and if you're interested in his other stuff, he did another western-type movie called 'the three burials of melquiadas estrada' that i thought was surprisingly good

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/three_burials_of_melquiades_estrada/

one to check out if you like westerns, as i do.