The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

75279A25301249968289858433024_4a7131d9e7

It Follows: 7.9 out of 10.  If it wasn't for a few cheesy moments, this could have been a very start to finish chilling thriller much like House of the Devil.  In fact, if you liked HotD, you should probably check It Follows out too.  

Agree with this. I really liked it, save a few parts. Otherwise, really cool.

• Upvote 1

End of the Tour: 10/10

I always find it difficult to rate documentaries and biopics, because it's really difficult (for me at least) to differentiate the subject from the movie. this makes sense considering the two genres are generally not that artful. they sorta just exist to tell a story. like the story? like the movie.

I guess End of the Tour is like a cross-section between those genres, because it's a biopic about the most infamous literary suicide case since Hemingway, David Foster Wallace, and a Rolling Stone journalist. the dialogue is basically just transcription - as it exists in script as it did on tape and documented form. however, the screenplay was written by a dude named Donald Marguiles who saw (in the transcription) something far, far more deep than may have actually been there: two dudes kinda jealous of each other, unsure of whether they fit in life (if at all)

idk, man. Jason Segel gives one of the most convincing "subtle" performances I have ever seen. Jesse Eisenberg does his thing, but it's much more toned down. Music from (early) REM, Brian Eno, and a really subdued score from Danny Elfman, and a script by a Pulitzer prize winner.

Definitely won't be for everyone. it's essentially two talking heads/clashing egos discussing America, philosophy, fame, and literature. but it is just done very well

I'm selling this hard because it made NO money in theatres, has no hype, nothing. strong RT (92%). definitely check it out if it sounds appealing to you.

I always find it difficult to rate documentaries and biopics, because it's really difficult (for me at least) to differentiate the subject from the movie. this makes sense considering the two genres are generally not that artful. they sorta just exist to tell a story. like the story? like the movie.

I guess End of the Tour is like a cross-section between those genres, because it's a biopic about the most infamous literary suicide case since Hemingway, David Foster Wallace, and a Rolling Stone journalist. the dialogue is basically just transcription - as it exists in script as it did on tape and documented form. however, the screenplay was written by a dude named Donald Marguiles who saw (in the transcription) something far, far more deep than may have actually been there: two dudes kinda jealous of each other, unsure of whether they fit in life (if at all)

idk, man. Jason Segel gives one of the most convincing "subtle" performances I have ever seen. Jesse Eisenberg does his thing, but it's much more toned down. Music from (early) REM, Brian Eno, and a really subdued score from Danny Elfman, and a script by a Pulitzer prize winner.

Definitely won't be for everyone. it's essentially two talking heads/clashing egos discussing America, philosophy, fame, and literature. but it is just done very well

I'm selling this hard because it made NO money in theatres, has no hype, nothing. strong RT (92%). definitely check it out if it sounds appealing to you.

I meant to start this the other night. I really hoped Segel wasn't going to be type-casted after HIMYM, because he has a genuineness that I think is quite rare, and not in a 'oh Jennifer Lawrence is so genuine because she is outgoing and funny and doesn't care' kind of way. He always seems thoughtful to me. I look forward to checking it out.

PS - South Park is killing it this season. 

Looks brilliant. Thanks, I hadn't even heard of it.

Oh sweet, End of the Tour is out. Been looking forward to it. Huge DFW fan.

I'm watching a History network show called Alone, pretty good as far as reality shows go. 9/10. It's basically a real life Survivor competition filmed on the north end of Vancouver Island. Ten survivalist type guys dropped off in isolation, whoever lasts longest wins $500k. There's no camera crews, they each get to bring 10 items of their choice, and they film themselves. One dude went for a walk on the first day and pretty much wandered into a bear den, another guy was being stalked by a cougar .... pretty freaky stuff.

(only halfway through, so if you watched it pls don't spoil who wins for me!)

Oh sweet, End of the Tour is out. Been looking forward to it. Huge DFW fan.

I, on the other hand, am not a huge DFW fan. in fact, I don't think I've read a single word he wrote. he is like Pynchon in that I have Infinite Jest and Gravity's Rainbow sitting on my bookshelf, taking up two feet and ten pounds of space. but I've never had the nerve to pick them up - despite my being able to slog through Ulysses(!). this really got me curious about Infinite Jest, though. i think i'll give it a try. 

and I am curious how your knowledge of/experience with DFW will influence how much you can/do enjoy the movie. i read one negative review where it said Segel plays up DFW as a stereotype - but given how the dialogue is transcripted, I'm not sure how that could really be the case? I guess through what dialogue is selected or emphasized? I don't know

I, on the other hand, am not a huge DFW fan. in fact, I don't think I've read a single word he wrote. he is like Pynchon in that I have Infinite Jest and Gravity's Rainbow sitting on my bookshelf, taking up two feet and ten pounds of space. but I've never had the nerve to pick them up - despite my being able to slog through Ulysses(!). this really got me curious about Infinite Jest, though. i think i'll give it a try.

IJ has that reputation but I didn't find it very slog-like. Actually fairly entertaining. There's the odd chapter that veers off into experimental style fiction, but mostly it's a linear plot with memorable characters (two things you can't say about GR). I think it's the footnotes that give it the difficult tag; don't stress over reading all them. Guess I'll wait to see the movie and judge Sudeikis' performance. DFW did have something of a caricature public persona - child tennis protege/math + philosophy major/famous post-modern novelist - who looked like Axl Rose:

Even if you give up on the tomb (it's honestly just hard physically to read that book) I would say try one of his essay collections, they're him at his best and also the most accessible - especially A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again

This leaked today. Really excited to watch it tomorrow.

As for tonight, I watched Re-Animator: 7/10. Some really funny/abusrd/ridiculous bits, and a pretty good plot - minus the whole mind control aspect, was that ever even explained? haha