The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

22 hours ago, Down by the River said:

Anyone watch the Knick (TV Show)? If you can get passed the whole 'another dark and troubled white male genius' trope, it is a beautiful show to watch. Cliff Martinez does the sountrack (former Red Hot Chili Peppers drummer, scored Drive, etc.), Soderberg directs, Clive Owen stars.

It is gorgeously shot and great sound editing... the clanking of metal scalpels, the steam from surgeons washing their hands, it is mesmerizing. You feel like you're in the room. 

does anybody have any theories as to why hospital shows are so unbelievably, ridiculously popular? is it because of the nature of a hospital, itself, is episodic? like, there are clean-cut heroes and problems and solutions and a revolving door of them? or do people just really find hospitals all that interesting? or is it just because medical dramas have been around so long that people are just used to them? or something else?

in 2015/16, we have The Knick, Code Black, Chicago Med, Greys Anatomy, Nurse Jackie, Getting On, Dr Ken, Heartbreaker, and more.

I get that some are better than others and some are totally different (Dr Ken is a comedy, The Knick is more of a period drama than the traditional ER thing), but still, the settings and conflicts are often very similar.

edit: as for The Knick, I watched the first season and enjoyed it, but didn't like it as much as I thought I would/hoped to. took me forever to finish. and I found the music to be very, very distracting and kinda cheesy, tbh

Edited by GLASSJAW

20 minutes ago, GLASSJAW said:

does anybody have any theories as to why hospital shows are so unbelievably, ridiculously popular? is it because of the nature of a hospital, itself, is episodic? like, there are clean-cut heroes and problems and solutions and a revolving door of them? or do people just really find hospitals all that interesting? or is it just because medical dramas have been around so long that people are just used to them? or something else?

Probably naturally offered itself as an early archetypal drama setting because it was one of the only places that men and women worked side by side.

• Upvote 2

There's a lot of drama in constant death and sickness.

I've probably watched every episode of Scrubs twice over. While it's the only hospital show that I've taken the time to get into properly, and it is a comedy, I get what the setting adds.

The emotional parts tend to hit pretty hard, even if you've only known the person for an hour/half an hour. 

Edited by g_bassi13

1 minute ago, Monty said:

I'm so sorry for you.

I really liked Scrubs. Not my favourite comedy, but I enjoyed most episodes/seasons. Some of them are better avoided, but the others, like I said I've re-watched them.

It was both bizarrely different, and attached/grounded to reality at the same time. In this case, I don't even know that you could recycle the formula in a different setting outside the hospital one. The parts that ground it wouldn't work nearly as well.

speaking of re-watching shows, I just finished Deadwood season 1 for probably the 500th time. The single most rewarding show I've seen in terms of re-viewings. So many jokes and references and tidbits that I miss out the first 400 times. Easy 10/10

Racket Girls - 0/10

Some 50's gangster film about some guy who runs some Women's Wrestling promotion as a front to whatever it was he was doing (I lost track part way through).

I saw it as a Mystery Science Theatre 3000 riff, and while I wouldn't bother writing about a movie I saw as an episode, this may just be the worst movie I've seen.

I love bad movies, but there's different kinds. Some are so bad that they're good in an ironic or humorous way. Some show some heart, and some have some misguided purpose that get lost along the way.

This was not any of those things. I thought it wad funny that movie presented wrestling as a real sport with competitors, that got offended at the notion of "throwing" fights.

Though from what I can figure it was made by a guy who wanted a reason to get really close to watching man-ish women wrestle each other and train in those large 50's undergarments for extended periods of time. That's the purpose I could derive.

It's hard to rate the new Star Wars out of ten but it was definitely really enjoyably to watch and had some very powerful moments. It was surprisingly funny too without any jokes feeling forced. The only real knock would be the similarities to certain things from the Original Trilogy. 

The movie was character driven and the new characters were REALLY good.

1 hour ago, Beluga Whale said:

It's hard to rate the new Star Wars out of ten but it was definitely really enjoyably to watch and had some very powerful moments. It was surprisingly funny too without any jokes feeling forced. The only real knock would be the similarities to certain things from the Original Trilogy. 

The movie was character driven and the new characters were REALLY good.

Spoiler

I definitely felt once or twice that the plot seemed a bit TOO reminiscent of the old ones, but in the end it really didn't bother me. The movie, in so many ways  was (metaphorically, and in that one majorly important scene, quite literally) a bridge between the old and new. With that said, I also really liked the new characters, especially Rae. The end shot with Luke nearly made me cry. 

Edited by GLASSJAW