The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

37 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

Several characters are really hilarious and a lot of fun. But Sookie gets pretty annoying.

Yeah, definitely had some memorable characters. Lafayette, in the early seasons, was brilliant. Bill and Eric were pretty good early on too, though. Everything was ruined by the end.

Plus it wins points for having one of the best intros of all time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wet5OM7RR8Q

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GLASSJAW said:

I generally just test out HBO content, or stuff that I am particularly hyped for, like Ash vs. Evil Dead...

and speaking of which, I never finished Ash vs. Evil Dead. I was so busy during that period I just totally forgot about it. Should finish up that series soon.

Forgot all about that, thanks for the reminder! 

1 hour ago, GLASSJAW said:

Yeah, definitely had some memorable characters. Lafayette, in the early seasons, was brilliant. Bill and Eric were pretty good early on too, though. Everything was ruined by the end.

Plus it wins points for having one of the best intros of all time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wet5OM7RR8Q

Absolutely best intro.

Jason cracked me up non-stop

Loved the take no nonsense attitude from Pam

Russell Edgington was one of my favourite villains of all time

Really liked the Alcide character but I wasn't always happy with where his storyline went.

1 hour ago, Hugor Hill said:

Shows that I dropped (that people think are good):

Orange is the New Black (After S2)

Sons of Anarchy (after S1)

Bloodlines (After S1, though might pick up again as S2 just came out)

House of Cards (After S3)

Haven't seen any of them. Hell I haven't even watched the Sopranos.

11 hours ago, GLASSJAW said:

I have massive OCD when it comes to this stuff, you have no idea. If I start a series, I finish it. If I start a book, I (almost always) finish it. I've turned off like five movies in the last 10 years. I watched all 7 seasons of True Blood and I hated almost every minute of seasons 2-7.

Holy crap. Do you feel you have to finish things out of spite? Like "this show will not beat me" ..? Haha.

I've recently realized that I read books and watch movies like mad, or, read books and watch tv series like mad. I can't seem to do all 3 ... so I'll put off either movies or tv series for a few weeks at a time.

Wedding Crashers: 9/10. Could not stop laughing throughout the whole movie. Such a classic.

42: 6/10. The Jackie Robinson movie. As an avid baseball fan, it was "eh". The story is an important one in history and the directors did a decent job portraying the struggles of racism that black athletes faced at this time period. But the movie itself kind of dragged, and Harrison Ford got to sleep walk through this one. I was expecting a baseball movie with hints of family and racial tension, whereas I got a movie that focused a lot on Jackie's family and his love life with hints of baseball.

Ginger Snaps - 8/10

Somehow despite being a horror fanatic I never got around to watching this. I think when it first came out I was friends with some goths who loved it and I kind of just wrote it off as pandering to that subculture. But it's really good, got its own thing going on. Disgusting and hilarious and hilariously disgusting. Quite a fresh take on the werewolf genre, especially switching to a female perspective. Surprising how perfectly executed the acting and dialogue was for a relatively under the radar Canadian movie.

On 13/06/2016 at 0:29 AM, riffraff said:

Try this one if you haven't already.

my favourite of the ilk:

oh geez, completely forgot about this - yeah I have seen it, used to have a vhs (!) copy taped off late night citytv when I was in high school; remember liking it although the only clear memory I have is the massive rumble on the football field with the Ducky Boys, who creeped me out with the way they just slowly start appearing, like something out of a horror movie.

Should watch it again tho.

36 minutes ago, The Bookie said:

oh geez, completely forgot about this - yeah I have seen it, used to have a vhs (!) copy taped off late night citytv when I was in high school; remember liking it although the only clear memory I have is the massive rumble on the football field with the Ducky Boys, who creeped me out with the way they just slowly start appearing, like something out of a horror movie.

Should watch it again tho.

Best rumble scene really...for the reasons you mentioned.....maybe even better than the socs vs the greasers though dallys death scene is great

Looked up The Wanderers on Rotten Tomatoes and it turns out it was based on a novel by Richard Price. He wrote a reallllly great book called Clockers, that was turned into a so-so movie in the 90s by Spike Lee, and was also one of the main inspirations for HBO's The Wire. So that's cool. Maybe do a combo re-watch & first time read.

lawrence of arabia: 8/10

wasn't sure if i had seen this, so i gave it a go. definitely good. great acting, great visuals. lawrence sure is a compelling (borderline strange) character. but i've never been super big on 'epics' like this. interesting, also, to see some of the editing techniques that were used. some of them towards the start are so abrupt and disjointed. doesn't really make the plot confusing, just not at all smooth transitions. 

anyway, certainly a good movie, and i'm glad i watched all 3,000 hours of it

Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping 

Was alright. Definitely not terrible, but far from perfect. It's nice to have another mockumentary film around. It appears that Christopher Guest is in no hurry at his age to do anymore of them, so having someone else try their hand at it is alright in my books. And considering how successful Lonely Island has been, having them create a music mockumentary for the industry today seems fitting.

On June 14, 2016 at 6:41 PM, J.R. said:

I'm worried that it's so hyped up at this point, it's almost impossible to not be disappointed. 

the first few episodes are kinda rough because of the production levels, and a lot of references and clothes will seem a little dated, but it's still god tier television. i just re-watched the whole series like 2 years ago and i'm kinda itching to give it another go now. it's an incredibly rich show.

you liked Mad Men - so keep in mind Mad Men's creator was a Sopranos writer, and there's a lot of influence there. Except Mad Men is about a broken man in advertising and Sopranos is about a broken man in... uh.. waste management? 

• Upvote 1