The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

The Green Inferno       8/10

Just watched it tonight. One of the most violent and grotesque movies out there. I give it good praise for a very good original story and fantastic cinematography.

The movie is based on people going to Peru to protest and save the rain forest from construction companies. Things go horribly sideways. My wife had to turn away for a few scenes, it got pretty nasty at some parts. I don't want to give too much away but you definitely need to be watch this and not have a weak stomach!

I really started slacking when it came to keeping up with the show Elementary part way through this season. I have 6 months of the show stored on PVR with about 18 episodes to catch up on. I just got bored, and this latest 4th season as it started wasn't too great.

But I sat down to watch it again today from where I left off, and that meant starting at the 7th episode, "Miss Taken". Oh man, did I love that episode. It had probably taken elements from many stories in many places, but stylistically it seemed very reminiscent of on of my favourite author's Lisa Gardner. I mean the whole episode itself came off like a modern mystery novel. If it were an actual novel, it would probably by a new favourite of mine.

It was no tour de force of acting, but it was so convincingly pathological that I was lost a couple of times, even if Sherlock wasn't.

I don't know why exactly I'm reviewing an episode of a network TV show from January, but I just happened to really, really enjoy this one. Now I have to catch up on the other 17 episodes, lol.

The Lobster 7.5/10

Reminded me of Wristcutters for the quasiabsurd romanticdarkcomedy tint. Uneven. Absolutely brilliant at times; tedious at others. Humans as animals as robots as humans.

One on-screen laugh. Disconcerting. 

/inserts headphones, dances into the woods

• Upvote 1

On June 20, 2016 at 1:43 AM, grandmaster said:

The Green Inferno       8/10

Just watched it tonight. One of the most violent and grotesque movies out there. I give it good praise for a very good original story and fantastic cinematography.

The movie is based on people going to Peru to protest and save the rain forest from construction companies. Things go horribly sideways. My wife had to turn away for a few scenes, it got pretty nasty at some parts. I don't want to give too much away but you definitely need to be watch this and not have a weak stomach!

It was on tv last night....funny I turned it on just as they were about to "have dinner" (the first time)....I watched it for about another forty minutes.....almost to the end...

aside from the great special effects I thought everything about the actors, acting, dialogue was amateur at best.

The Wanderers

Never watched it before. After the past few pages of talk, had to give it a go. This was more fun and turned out a lot different than I thought. Really enjoyed it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Out of Sight

Because I've been watching a lot of Don Cheadle lately, decided to go back and watch Out of Sight. Haven't seen it in years, and barely paid attention to it when I did. A lot more fun than I remembered.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

And speaking of Don Cheadle

House of Lies

Started watching House of Lies a few weeks ago, mainly because of Ben Schwartz. This is a lot better than I hoped it would be. Quite dirty, so DON'T watch with kids in the room, but a lot of fun.

Elizabeth (1998): 7/10. Second time I've watched this. Liked it more the first time, but I still enjoy it. Some totally pointless fabrications of history, and some really dated aspects of the movie's style, but I still enjoy it. Some really pleasant music, and that ending scene is fantastic. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, riffraff said:

It was on tv last night....funny I turned it on just as they were about to "have dinner" (the first time)....I watched it for about another forty minutes.....almost to the end...

aside from the great special effects I thought everything about the actors, acting, dialogue was amateur at best.

I agree the acting was sub par. I gave it an 8 because it was so captivating to watch. In hind sight maybe I should have given it a 7. The film mastered a lot of wtf moments. My wife would give it a zero, she was so grossed out, lol

• Upvote 1

On 6/14/2016 at 1:09 PM, Hugor Hill said:

The Insider - 9.5/10

Awesome. Must watch if you haven't seen it.

Russell Crowe's stereotypically annoying wife is the only drawback of this movie. 

The_insider_movie_poster_1999.jpg

You should watch all of Michael Mann's movies.  One of my favorite directors

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GLASSJAW said:

HBO cancelled Vinyl - no season 2

Your thoughts in this?

i had to pick between vinyl and game of thrones to binge and catch up on.

i went with GOT but I was looking forward to vinyl.

well.  Banshee it is I guess.

6 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Your thoughts in this?

i had to pick between vinyl and game of thrones to binge and catch up on.

i went with GOT but I was looking forward to vinyl.

well.  Banshee it is I guess.

idk, its not a great show or anything, but i still enjoyed it. i would have watched a second season for sure. but HBO reportedly put 100 million into the first season. admittedly, a massive chunk of that went into the first episode (probably Scorsese's and Mick Jagger's pocket), but still. HBO can do a lot of cool stuff for 100m, so hopefully they have another show to replace it that's maybe better. 

Just now, GLASSJAW said:

idk, its not a great show or anything, but i still enjoyed it. i would have watched a second season for sure. but HBO reportedly put 100 million into the first season. admittedly, a massive chunk of that went into the first episode (probably Scorsese's and Mick Jagger's pocket), but still. HBO can do a lot of cool stuff for 100m, so hopefully they have another show to replace it that's maybe better. 

Pretty much.

I finished watching Vinyl a few weeks ago. It seemed like an absolute mess for the writers to work with. That mob storyline was really bad.

And I can't say this enough. The end of the first episode is one of the worst things I have ever seen on screen. And I accidentally watched 10 minutes of 2 Broke Girls.

12 minutes ago, Monty said:

I finished watching Vinyl a few weeks ago. It seemed like an absolute mess for the writers to work with. That mob storyline was really bad.

And I can't say this enough. The end of the first episode is one of the worst things I have ever seen on screen. And I accidentally watched 10 minutes of 2 Broke Girls.

I actually sorta liked the mob aspect. The record industry was so corrupt and full of sh-t that I think they had to touch on it to some degree. But, I'm a sucker for anything mob-related, so maybe I'm not the most objective viewer there

I do agree about the end of the first episode. I thought the end of the last episode (with all the spray paint) was equally bad though. 

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 3:23 PM, GLASSJAW said:

I actually sorta liked the mob aspect. The record industry was so corrupt and full of sh-t that I think they had to touch on it to some degree. But, I'm a sucker for anything mob-related, so maybe I'm not the most objective viewer there

I do agree about the end of the first episode. I thought the end of the last episode (with all the spray paint) was equally bad though. 

Ugh, that spray painting thing was nonsense. It screams "the teenagers will love this". Fitting that such an awful mess ends that way.

Edited by Monty

Everybody Wants Some!!: 6/10

Richard Linklater's "spiritual sequel" to Dazed and Confused. Here you have 30 year old actors who look like 30 year old actors playing college athletes (aged 17-22?), and doing "bro" things like chugging beer and talking to (but mostly about) hot girls. Then they play various frat house sports. This happens for two hours. Minimal plot and character development. The best part of the entire show is where they talk about why Pink Floyd is great and why Van Halen sucks. One of the very few Linklater-y scenes of the whole movie.

Some funny scenes. But this is absolutely no Dazed and Confused. 

9/10. The Netflix movie "Beasts of no nation". Not for the faint of heart, but a deeply challenging and thought provoking film told from the perspective of a young boy whose family gets destroyed in an unnamed African nation during a civil war, and his experiences as he ends up getting recruited as a child soldier in order to survive.

The directing and the acting were exceptional.

Trailer:

Edited by Moonshinefe