The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

11 hours ago, Monty said:

Re-Animator. Everyday of the week, Re-Animator!

EDIT: Not a ghost story, but ridiculously funny.

Nice one ! Got this on DVD when it was released.

Some of those 80's horror flicks are quite a treat.

Another one that is good for a laugh is Braindead or Dead Alive, Brain Dead is the original title of this New Zealand horror flick done by Peter Jackson in the early 90's . Jackson began his career with Bad Taste, another horror comedy worth a watch from 1987.

braindead-dead-alive_22903.jpg

• Upvote 1

Solarbabies 

Truly awful film from the 80s that makes zero sense whatsoever.

Laughably bad, though. So it's worth watching in that sense.

---------------------

London Has Fallen

Don't watch. Not enjoyable on any front.

---------------------

Jon Benjamin Has A Van

Comedy Central show that was one season long in 2011, starring Jon Benjamin from "Archer", plus a smorgasbord of cameos. 

Love it.

Brooklyn - 7.5/10

Refreshing. That's how I felt about this one. It was a simple story about nice people, making common life choices and about how much those choices, small and large shape our lives.

Forks in the road.

Sure, it's melodramatic at times but it was told well IMO and exceedingly well acted while being GORGEOUS to look at.  Cinematographer Yves Bélanger deserves credit here as I would have happily walked through my TV in to the world he captured. GORGEOUS.

If you're in the mood for something gritty, challenging and 'real', just move along. This was as 'light' of a drama as you're likely to find and despite that, still managed to get me to care about that main characters and their outcome.

It actually reminds me of a film that would have been made in the period it takes place. It doesn't try to hard to push an agenda, push drama, push reaction etc. It just tells a simple story well and beautifully and  it's happy with that. It's subtly impressive without trying to be.

On May 27, 2016 at 10:25 PM, Shift-4 said:

The Purge  betterthanIthoughtitwouldbe/10

I thought they could have created more chills with the whole concept. Still an ok way to kill a couple of meaningless hours on a lazy day off.

Purge 2 is better... 

Saw at the nice guys it was my kind of movie 8.5/10 the acting was top notch. 

Neighbors 2.

6.5/10.

Not better than the first but not awful.

Seeing Warcraft this weekend. As a wow player and warcraft 3 guy I am going in with excitement and high expectations. I hope this is the gaming movie that trumps them all.

On June 8, 2016 at 10:39 PM, Monty said:

Vinyl

Just finished watching the first episode.

That ending has got to be one of the dumbest things I have ever seen.

5 episodes in. It's just "ok". That said, it is A LOT better than the end of the first. Which was downright terrible.

On 6/11/2016 at 2:25 PM, babych said:

Pawn Sacrifice: 6.5/10

Decent enough movie if you like chess or history. Gives a pretty good account of Fischer vs Spassky in 1972.

agreed, I like chess as well as history.

Hardcore Henry 6/10
It was kind of interesting in a way, but the motion made me a little sick lol

Edited by Justdean10

99 Houses: 8.5/10

Pretty sad story of how people lost their homes during the post-2008 mortgage crisis. Stars Michael Shannon and Andrew Garfield. Andrew Garfield's character loses his home and is evicted by a real estate broker (Shannon). Garfield then goes to work for Shannon to try and buy back his home and eventually starts playing the role of evicting others from their home. 

Its definitely emotional to see people evicted from their home, but then you wonder why the hell some people thought that they needed a 30k pool when they were making 50k a year.

re-watched Game of Thrones season1: 8/10

weaker than I remember, but I really enjoyed the middle 6 episodes. I say episode 9 of season 1 maybe the worst in the entire series that I remember. Some truly atrocious acting from Dany in that episode. Shae (Shay?) also may be the worst actress in the entire series. The start of her relationship with Tyrion seems super super forced too. Really not looking forward to her scenes in next season 2. Episode 10 highlights just how slow Dany's progression as a character is, too. First of many speeches about who she is, and what she will do.

ALLLL that whining aside, it's still remarkably addicting, some really funny/good lines, and a whole lot of good characters. 

6 minutes ago, GLASSJAW said:

re-watched Game of Thrones season1: 8/10

weaker than I remember, but I really enjoyed the middle 6 episodes. I say episode 9 of season 1 maybe the worst in the entire series that I remember. Some truly atrocious acting from Dany in that episode. Shae (Shay?) also may be the worst actress in the entire series. The start of her relationship with Tyrion seems super super forced too. Really not looking forward to her scenes in next season 2. Episode 10 highlights just how slow Dany's progression as a character is, too. First of many speeches about who she is, and what she will do.

ALLLL that whining aside, it's still remarkably addicting, some really funny/good lines, and a whole lot of good characters. 

Peter Dinklage in seasons 3+4 really knocked my socks off.

The awkwardness of the Shae/Tyrion relationship may have partially been due to the fact that the showrunners didn't seem sure of themselves in terms of how they were going to present their relationship. I've put my thoughts in spoilers in case people are not fully caught up.

Spoiler

In the books, Shae appears moreso infatuated with Tyrion because of the material things he provides, whereas in the show it seems the eventually decided to land on 'she really loves him'. This decision seems kind of poorly thought out given how the relationship ends, her testimony, etc.

And yeah, Dany has some awful lines and Emilia Clarke doesn't really impress either. There is this scene where I believe Jorah disagrees with her and then she runs up a flight of stairs, stops halfway and looks back at him the way a petulant eight year old would. 

43 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

99 Houses: 8.5/10

Pretty sad story of how people lost their homes during the post-2008 mortgage crisis. Stars Michael Shannon and Andrew Garfield. Andrew Garfield's character loses his home and is evicted by a real estate broker (Shannon). Garfield then goes to work for Shannon to try and buy back his home and eventually starts playing the role of evicting others from their home. 

Its definitely emotional to see people evicted from their home, but then you wonder why the hell some people thought that they needed a 30k pool when they were making 50k a year.

Because people who own pools use them all the time.

Said no one, ever.

from the past couple weeks

The Warriors 8/10

1978 cult flick I've been meaning to watch forever. Comic book tinged graffiti scrawled urban gangwar carnival - esque with extra cheese. Delicious. The Baseball Furies were my favorite. Bat wielding pantaloon wearing clown faced riffraff. Completely dated in some ways (mostly racial/homophobia) yet also timeless (the photography/cinematography/eye popping colours).

Fateful Findings ?/10

Expected crap. Got crap. A lot like The Room - vanity project for the writer/director/star, horribly made, awkward, bad acting, no clear central plot. It's a mess. Just the worst. Check it out.

Do The Right Thing 8.5/10

Finally saw this! At least, properly, I've seen bits and pieces over the years. Spike Lee still isn't quite my thing with his in your face, yelling at the camera stuff, but that's a personal taste issue. Still such a powerful experience. Watching Radio Raheem getting choked out, then the retarded guy stumbling around crying in the street, wow.

Feed The Beast 3/10

First couple episodes of this amc show. Underwhelming. One of the guys from Friends plays a drunk sommelier, his coke head wunderkind chef buddy gets out of jail owing money to the mob, they're gonna open a restaurant in the Bronx (!). Boooooorrrring. There's a lot of laughably bad "Things are getting tough ... Let's Cook!" slow mo kitchen scenes that made me feel embarrassed. The only character who seemed remotely interesting was mute. Don't check it out.

44 minutes ago, The Bookie said:

Fateful Findings ?/10

Expected crap. Got crap. A lot like The Room - vanity project for the writer/director/star, horribly made, awkward, bad acting, no clear central plot. It's a mess. Just the worst. Check it out.

Will have to torrent and watch immediately.

56 minutes ago, The Bookie said:

from the past couple weeks

The Warriors 8/10

1978 cult flick I've been meaning to watch forever. Comic book tinged graffiti scrawled urban gangwar carnival - esque with extra cheese. Delicious. The Baseball Furies were my favorite. Bat wielding pantaloon wearing clown faced riffraff. Completely dated in some ways (mostly racial/homophobia) yet also timeless (the photography/cinematography/eye popping colours).

Fateful Findings ?/10

Do The Right Thing 8.5/10

Finally saw this! At least, properly, I've seen bits and pieces over the years. Spike Lee still isn't quite my thing with his in your face, yelling at the camera stuff, but that's a personal taste issue. Still such a powerful experience. Watching Radio Raheem getting choked out, then the retarded guy stumbling around crying in the street, wow.

Feed The Beast 3/10

First couple episodes of this amc show. Underwhelming. One of the guys from Friends plays a drunk sommelier, his coke head wunderkind chef buddy gets out of jail owing money to the mob, they're gonna open a restaurant in the Bronx (!). Boooooorrrring. There's a lot of laughably bad "Things are getting tough ... Let's Cook!" slow mo kitchen scenes that made me feel embarrassed. The only character who seemed remotely interesting was mute. Don't check it out.

Try this one if you haven't already.

my favourite of the ilk: