The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

The Spectacular Now - that kid from Whiplash is decent but there really wasn't any point to this movie. 5/10

Dope - did nothing for me ... just didn't like it ... 4/10

A Somewhat Gentle Man - Norwegian dark comedy staring Stellan Skarsgard. He had a sex scene with pretty much the mama from Throw Mama From The Train and I can't even go on typing this ... the horror ...

Castaway on the Moon - Korean comedy/romance/drama from 2009, one of the best things I've seen this year. Hilarious, and sad, and moving. Just plain good. I loved it. 8.5/10  
(highly recommend it if you need some laughs and a sniffle or two)

tumblr_m1a33xMsLG1roivhxo1_500.gif

"Stranger things" on NF today. For those of us old enough to remember a brilliant nod to "E.T.", "Stand by me" and "Close Encounters". Younger generations would probably liken it a little to "Super 8" but that movie sucked so do yourself a favor and don't. Probably the most authentic 80's feel to film or TV I've seen, well, since the 80's. Oh, and somebody in the show has the best name ever- Finn Wolfhard !

9 hours ago, hlinkas wrister said:

"Stranger things" on NF today.

Watched the first two episodes. It's good.

Probably the most authentic 80's feel to film or TV I've seen, well, since the 80's. 

No.

Watch House of the Devil.

The series Southland (LA)

8/10. Like the first half of Law & Order with the detectives, but focuses more so on cops. Good show overall but I feel like they leave you hanging sometimes with characters and the episode itself.

Created by Ann Biderman who does Ray Donovan too. If you like that show then you'll probably like Southland.

Edited by Tortorella's Rant

Rounders 1998: 8/10

If you like those gambling/noir feel movies, this is a good one. I wish Norton and Damon did more movies together; they had some great chemistry in this one. Norton played his role to the tee. Now whenever I picture sleazeball gambling junkies, Edward Norton is how I imagine they look. Story was good. Characters were good. Even card play was good. Would have been a higher grade from me if had some extra "oomph." Always tricky in gambling movies to add interesting side stories. Overall though, I thought it was entertaining.

Was going to watch Green Room but thought it might be a little too harsh for the misses, so we watched Everybody Wants Some, instead.  Fun movie, good sound track.  Sort of a do-over of Dazed & Confused.  

10 Cloverfield Lane - thoroughly enjoyed it.  That scene with the lady trying to get in is a perfect movie moment.  Wish more post-apoc movies had a vibe like that.  

15 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Was going to watch Green Room but thought it might be a little too harsh for the misses... 

Yes, yes it would have. It's very interesting, but more than a "little too harsh".

On 7/1/2016 at 4:14 PM, GLASSJAW said:

speaking of indie movies, can we all take a moment and admire the production company A24? those people are doing amazing work right. the company has only been around for like 3 years, and their credits include:

Green Room

The Witch

The Lobster

End of the Tour

Locke

Ex Machina

Swiss Army Man

Room

Enemy

Most Violent Year

the bolded ones are three that I think are easily in my top 5 favourite films of the last few years. these guys are taking chances on unique projects and making them happen. good stuff. 

Interesting- I didn't know those films were all released by the same production company. Enemy was a bigtime favorite of mine, especially since I find Canadian settings in film kind of boring- Toronto looked good in it.  

little shop of horrors (1986): 9/10

i don't care much for musicals, so it's no wonder i hadn't seen this before - but i'm glad i watched it. stellar cult film. only loses a point because the songs, to me, just aren't that good. loved the cheapness and cheese of it all

Rocket Men.  5/10

Ok if you only want to watch the US space program. Really general, and ok if you don't know much about the US astronauts and want a decent primer. But no depth, or insight to who these men and women are. Or even the technicians, scientists, engineers.

From the Earth to the Moon was better, The Right Stuff took some liberties, but was generally accurate. Long, but entertaining.