The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

7 hours ago, D-Money said:

Mel Gibson may very well be a massive twat in real life, but the guy knows how to make movies.

Anyone catch The Beaver? Was waaay better than it should have been. And as much as Get The Gringo and Blood Father look like Nic-Cage-level tripe on the surface, the reviews for both have been solid.

And as for directing ability, Apocalypto was outstanding.

In regards to Gibson's personal life? Who knows what he's really like. I mean, pobody's nerfect. I don't even want to know half the things I've said when I've had one too many drinks in my system. Likely far worse than Mel. 

As for his films, both acting and directing, the guy is like Tom Cruise. In that, whether you like him or not, he always puts in 150% effort. Really seems to enjoy what he does.

The Beaver was a lot better than it ever should have been. Haven't seen Blood Father, but Get the Gringo was fantastic. Absolutely loved it.

As for Apocalypto? Only saw it once in theatres, but remember loving as well.

Edited by Monty

48 minutes ago, Monty said:

In regards to Gibson's personal life? Who knows what he's really like. I mean, pobody's nerfect. I don't even want to know half the things I've said when I've had one too many drinks in my system. Likely far worse than Mel. 

As for his films, both acting and directing, the guy is like Tom Cruise. In that, whether you like him or not, he always puts in 150% effort. Really seems to enjoy what he does.

The Beaver was a lot better than it ever should have been. Haven't seen Blood Father, but Get the Gringo was fantastic. Absolutely loved it.

There can be only one.

image.jpeg

"There can be only one. "

Entered this thread expecting to see a review of  Highlander movies.

None in sight, guess I'll do my own.

Highlander 1.    Epic          8/10

Highlander 2.  Bring back the Spaniard for 3 minutes just to kill him off, WTF ?   4/10

Highlander 3. please just stop making highlander movies

Highlander 4 see above.

54 minutes ago, Monty said:

Not to mention one of Gibson's greatest roles...

giphy.gif

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, D-Money said:

Mel Gibson may very well be a massive twat in real life, but the guy knows how to make movies.

Anyone catch The Beaver? Was waaay better than it should have been. And as much as Get The Gringo and Blood Father look like Nic-Cage-level tripe on the surface, the reviews for both have been solid.

And as for directing ability, Apocalypto was outstanding.

I know I've seen Apocalypto a couple of times, but the last time was a few years back IIRC. I remember loving it in theaters and enjoying the re-watch.

And even though I also "enjoyed" (appreciated?) Passion of the Christ, I just don't really like heavy handed religious morality in movies. And each review I've read of Hacksaw Ridge has referred to (as on critic writing a positive review called it) "cringe-inducing" religious stuff. It's a massive turn off. 

11 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

A face I would love to punch

But often end up enjoying his movies

That's just the thing.

hes the ultimate cheeseball but so awesome at the same time.  Personally if I met him I wouldn't know if I wanted to go for drinks or put him in a choke hold.  

Seriously though his movies are very entertaining.  Top Gun is one of

my favourite all time movies for all the right and wrong reasons.  Still quote lines to this day.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, riffraff said:

That's just the thing.

hes the ultimate cheeseball but so awesome at the same time.  Personally if I met him I wouldn't know if I wanted to go for drinks or put him in a choke hold.  

my favourite all time movies for all the right and wrong reasons.  Still quote lines to this day.

Have you seen that documentary on Scientology called "GOING CLEAR"?

I used to be a bit of a Tom Cruise apologist. But after seeing that, I felt really weird about it. I think I would definitely opt for the choke hold.

21 minutes ago, riffraff said:

That's just the thing.

Yeah the guy seems like a knob IRL but he makes damned entertaining movies. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, GLASSJAW said:

Have you seen that documentary on Scientology called "GOING CLEAR"?

I used to be a bit of a Tom Cruise apologist. But after seeing that, I felt really weird about it. I think I would definitely opt for the choke hold.

Total freak.

i will check that doc out.  Thanks.  Was actually joking yesterday with a friend about TC - saying he was actually an 800 year old vampire.

edit

btw "Tom cruise apologist". Lol! Great song or band name.

Edited by riffraff

48 minutes ago, GLASSJAW said:

I know I've seen Apocalypto a couple of times, but the last time was a few years back IIRC. I remember loving it in theaters and enjoying the re-watch.

And even though I also "enjoyed" (appreciated?) Passion of the Christ, I just don't really like heavy handed religious morality in movies. And each review I've read of Hacksaw Ridge has referred to (as on critic writing a positive review called it) "cringe-inducing" religious stuff. It's a massive turn off. 

Considering the movies are about "religious stuff" (in this case, conscientious objector b/c of beliefs), criticizing the religious angles is a bit ridiculous. Whereas we've had countless movies delving into "cringe-inducing" morals of gangsters and psychopaths - but these are often lauded.

But then again, I'm Christian, and wouldn't touch Passion of the Christ with a 10-foot pole.

3 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Considering the movies are about "religious stuff" (in this case, conscientious objector b/c of beliefs), criticizing the religious angles is a bit ridiculous. Whereas we've had countless movies delving into "cringe-inducing" morals of gangsters and psychopaths - but these are often lauded.

But then again, I'm Christian, and wouldn't touch Passion of the Christ with a 10-foot pole.

Same here (on everything you mentioned).

Watched Passion back in the day and said, "Well made. Going to go puke, now."

46 minutes ago, riffraff said:

That's just the thing.

It still really bugs me seeing him as Jack Reacher though.

He acts well but the little puke can never act 6'5"

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, D-Money said:

i think the gangster thing is different than implying someone's actions are done through his moral superiority which arrived through divine right. especially as this holy hero probably spent countless hours crawling through sloppy christian guts all around him. i obviously havent seen it, so i can't criticize the religious angle - but others have, and it is off-putting. although it can't be too overwrought since the reviews are still generally positive

speaking of sloppy guts: if you guys were irked by Passion, hold on to your barf bags, because the reviews I read suggest this one has over an hour of ultra violence.

you can take the gun out of the christian boy's hands, but you can't take the disembowelment from Gibson's shot!

Edited by GLASSJAW

Blood Father - 6.5/10

Mel Gibson's typecast role of "ridiculously angry man with a death wish" is put on display again, as he goes to great lengths to protect is estranged/missing daughter.

Makes Liam Neeson's "aging actor who is unstoppable" look pretty bad in comparison. While Neeson tends to sleepwalk through his films now, with almost zero emotion, Gibson does his best Gibson impression and is, as usual, on game. His daughter's acting was "meh", but he was great to watch.

-------------------------------------

All the Way - 8.5/10

Bryan Cranston reprises his Tony award winning performance as President Lyndon B. Johnson after the Kennedy assassination and his subsequent run for President as he tries to push through the Civil Rights Bill. Anthony Mackie co-stars as Martin Luther King Jr.

As usual, incredibly well acted by Cranston. Mackie is also very solid (who knew?).

Well, well worth your time.

11 minutes ago, Monty said:

Blood Father - 6.5/10

Mel Gibson's typecast role of "ridiculously angry man with a death wish" is put on display again, as he goes to great lengths to protect is estranged/missing daughter.

Makes Liam Neeson's "aging actor who is unstoppable" look pretty bad in comparison. While Neeson tends to sleepwalk through his films now, with almost zero emotion, Gibson does his best Gibson impression and is, as usual, on game. His daughter's acting was "meh", but he was great to watch.

Ten years from now, the whole "older man seeks to protect his daughter despite their strained relationship" will become its own genre spoken in the same category as 'Western' and 'Horror'. If someone can reduce the genre to a single word, they'll be famous. I'm going to go with 'paternalrama'.

• Upvote 2