The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

6 hours ago, Down by the River said:

Ten years from now, the whole "older man seeks to protect his daughter despite their strained relationship" will become its own genre spoken in the same category as 'Western' and 'Horror'. If someone can reduce the genre to a single word, they'll be famous. I'm going to go with 'paternalrama'.

"Grandpageddon"

• Upvote 1

Short Term 12  -  9/10

Holy crap! This was one good movie I had never heard of before until I read about it.

Brie Larson, John Gallagher Jr. from Newsroom, and Sami Malek long before Mr. Robot. This is one damn good indie low budget movie.

short-term-12-brie-larson-1.jpg

Edited by Hugor Hill

Sully - 8.5/10

After Eastwood went "full 'tard" with Jersey Boys and, in my opinion, shat the bed with American Sniper, he's back on point here. While it certainly appears that false tension was created in the hearing scenes, with perhaps a little emotional pandering at times, it was still an incredibly well done film.

Also can't fault him too much for the emotional pandering and perhaps fictionalized version of the hearing scenes, as the film wouldn't have been made without creating a little bit of tension. This is a film, not a documentary. Still is entertainment and had to keep viewers watching.

The Man Who Knew Infinity: 6.75/10

I gues you'd call it a biopic of mathematician Ramanujan's life.

Jeremy Irons delivers as always but I find Dev Patel to be annoying and the script made him rather unlikable and also failed to show what made him so impressive at maths and instead focused on how his work was so religion-inspired.

On September 9, 2016 at 7:41 PM, Hugor Hill said:

Short Term 12  -  9/10

Holy crap! This was one good movie I had never heard of before until I read about it.

Brie Larson, John Gallagher Jr. from Newsroom, and Sami Malek long before Mr. Robot. This is one damn good indie low budget movie.

short-term-12-brie-larson-1.jpg

Too much acting, and not enough action/special effects to be good though.B)

• Upvote 1

Pawn Sacrifice 7/10

For a movie where the highlight is a chess master showdown - it was pretty good. Unless you know a little bit about Bobby Fischer & chess to begin with the movie might come off as boring and uninteresting. I watched a documentary on him before seeing the movie and it's a shame how such a great mind for chess turned into total rot over time. Sad ending to his life.

Does Liev Schreiber actually know how to speak Russian? Usually movies have actors speaking English instead of the native language of the figure they are portraying