The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 6.0

Also, since this is a Luongo thread. I agree with Oldnews's post a page or 2 back.

Washington and Florida are still very much in contention, Washington's goaltending has gotten a bit better but the Panthers goaltending really hasn't they still aren't playing well at all.

Florida once again seems like the best destination and one that might be a legitimate possibility. So since we are going to have to take salary back in the deal, here is what I propose:

VAN: Upshall + Petrovic + Mattias + Conditional 1st (If they miss the playoffs it becomes a 2nd and a 3rd)

FLA: Luongo + Desbiens + Tochkin

We get a nice B prospect in Petrovic, a guy in Mattias who can fill the role Manny once supplied and he also has some upside, then the pick(s). This deal adds something useful now in Mattias and also adds some nices pieces for the cupboard. (Which is clearly our weakest area in the organization)

Desbiens and Tochkin are in the deal for salary cap/contract purposes.

No, he stated while the Ovechkin idea is proposed, an egghead comes in and proposes Luongo for a rookie. I do agree that the language could have been better used, though I also do agree that Ovechkin for Luongo is sound while Luongo for Bjudgstad is rather eggheadish...

If one reads his post attentively, the egghead comment is concerned with the undervaluing of Luongo to rookie level.

His post could be corrected by replacing the word "another" with "an". Then the entire post would be 100% aimed at the eggheads of this board an not at they who appreciate the goaltending position and Luongo's fair value, not just on the market, but as a player, a goaltender and the caliber of an athlete he is.

All in all, I think poster PLOGUE agrees with your Ovechkin idea, but not so much with eggheads who want Bjudgstad for Luongo.

Easy on the superlatives, although your post has valid points.

One that conflicts with the rest is Weiss. You speak of Lou being more value than an unproven rookie, but question why guys want Weiss over Schroeder.

First, he's a far better player at this stage than Schroeder. He'll help us on a play off run, then he'll be UFA which gives us cap relief and leaves his spot open for Schroeder next year. Weiss + Bjugstad plus a pick, maybe not a first as he's a hot prospect with good value, for Lou would be a good trade. Getting rid of Weiss also helps Florida, who is cap strapped and would love to ditch a mill or so off this years books!

I agree Bjugstad for Lou alone is not adequate in a mid season trade; next summer when we need cap relief?

If we're looking at Winnipeg blueliners, I'd prefer to go after Bogosian as opposed to Byfgulien - half the cap hit, younger and still an RFA, also a big right side guy with a booming shot, just as physical, but imo, better shutdown potential and two way upside than Byfguilien, and I doubt he'd cost as much in assets. With both these players on their roster, Postma (and Trouba in their system) the Jets might be willing to move one for the right left side guy?

I like that deal, but if it were me, I'd like to substitute Goc for Matthias - and I'd really like to see Shore in a deal as well (would probably prefer him to a 1st at this point) - but I wouldn't complain if Matthias were included..

With the uncertaintly around Kesler, a real solid two way guy like Goc would be great, and a young NHL ready Shore would give the Canucks good depth and options, but the one thing I wouldn't compromise on is Petrovic - have wanted this guy from the get-go of the Luongo trade speculation.

If we're looking at Winnipeg blueliners, I'd prefer to go after Bogosian as opposed to Byfgulien - half the cap hit, younger and still an RFA, also a big right side guy with a booming shot, just as physical, but imo, better shutdown potential and two way upside than Byfguilien, and I doubt he'd cost as much in assets. With both these players on their roster, Postma (and Trouba in their system) the Jets might be willing to move one for the right left side guy?

This team needs some new blood or we're never going to win a cup. Luongo needs to be traded just because of the assets that can be brought in to turn this team around. They literally wont make the playoffs next season if things keep going the way they're going. Stephen Weiss, Marcel Goc, Jose Theodore, Nik Bjugstad and a 1st should all come over from Florida. Roberto Luongo and Mason Raymond should go to Florida. Raymond is a young winger who could definetly boost his numbers on a thin, southeastern team.

Once Kesler and Booth come back(AGAIN!!) Stephen Weiss could push Ryan Kesler to the RW. Kesler could continue to show defensive prowess but would get more opportunities to shoot the puck. I think its a great way to rebrand a player who's been struggling for two seasons.

Luongo

2013 first

Cannauton

Ballard

for

Weiss

Gubranson

2013 first

cap dump.

Luongo is a freaking all star for christ sakes and FLA has the worst goaltending in the league.

we take a cap dump for ballard and Luongo. We move up a great deal in the draft, but we give Florida our 1st and Cannauton so that their future does not take that big a hit.

This leaves them with Bjugstad, Shore, Huberdeau, Kulikov, Markstrom, Howden...still a good solid core.

This team needs some new blood or we're never going to win a cup. Luongo needs to be traded just because of the assets that can be brought in to turn this team around. They literally wont make the playoffs next season if things keep going the way they're going. Stephen Weiss, Marcel Goc, Jose Theodore, Nik Bjugstad and a 1st should all come over from Florida. Roberto Luongo and Mason Raymond should go to Florida. Raymond is a young winger who could definetly boost his numbers on a thin, southeastern team.

Once Kesler and Booth come back(AGAIN!!) Stephen Weiss could push Ryan Kesler to the RW. Kesler could continue to show defensive prowess but would get more opportunities to shoot the puck. I think its a great way to rebrand a player who's been struggling for two seasons.

Luongo

Raymond

Ballard

Schroeder

1st

Brouwer

Carlson

Neuvirth

Sign Jason Arnott to a 2 year 6 million dollar deal

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Booth Kesler Kassian

Hansen Arnott Brouwer

Weise Lapierre Higgins

Hamhuis Bieksa

Edler Carlson

Garrison Tanev

Schneider

Its kinda funny how you say Luongo is worth Ovechkin, and you say that Schneider is worth more so we should trade him.

But then you say Schneider for Bjugstad is fair. (But Bjugstad for Luongo isn't)

I think I am missing something here.. Is CS more valuable than RL or not? If so shouldn't he bring back a better return than just Bjugstad?

Archived