The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 6.0

Pavelec stands as .899 sv% and a 2.98 GAA. Funny how the discrepancy between Luongo and Schneider was the name of the game during the summer with Schneider having ever slightly better numbers than Luongo thereby declaring him God, but a higher discrepancy between Pavelec and Schneider with Schneider having outstanding numbers make him not worth the upgrade for Winnipeg, as well as an irrelevant course of discussion when it concerns our now better stat goaltender Luongo... Run on sentence indeed.

Pavelec stands as .899 sv% and a 2.98 GAA. Funny how the discrepancy between Luongo and Schneider was the name of the game during the summer with Schneider having ever slightly better numbers than Luongo thereby declaring him God, but a higher discrepancy between Pavelec and Schneider with Schneider having outstanding numbers make him not worth the upgrade for Winnipeg, as well as an irrelevant course of discussion when it concerns our now better stat goaltender Luongo... Run on sentence indeed.

if we can get a decent scoring center - say a consistent 30 goals or there-abouts. we need to do it. doesn't matter which goalie we trade to facilitate that.

or... with the way the canucks are playing, is this really the year? last year we went backwards before the playoffs (trading a roster player for someone who sat in the press box - I like the trade, but it said we were giving up and not making a run last year). Do the dividends show up this year? Can the team find it's game - it's been 1 year + since they played their "style", if it even is their style any more... Can they play a fast paced game and still defend? Probably not without more fire-power up front, they can't score, same problem for more than a year now..... so a bit of a catch-22 situation. 1-line team. If the team can't get going, might as well wait until the summer and get a better return (if that's true).

The team defence is in disarray, we have 1 top center cause Schroeder is falling off a bit (totally expected, not his fault... he needs a year + to find his game in the bigs) and Kesler is perpetually injured. Doesn't seem like we should rush into a trade cause it doesn't matter this year. It's just obvious.

Prove me wrong please!

It would make absolute no sense for WPG to go after any goalie. Why would they give up a high assest such as Byfuglien to get a bit of an upgrade. Not only do they lose and asset in a D but they also are now in the same situation of having two goalies in a non goalie market. Now some how they will have to turn around and get rid of Pavelec and try to obtain an asset for him. not going to happen. you have to think, is cory or even Luo that much of and upgrade for the overall team that they'd lose Byfuglien & Pavelec. When you make a trade proposal you have think how does this benefits both teams and does this trade fit into the team goals. This obviously doesn't work for either team

Here is the conundrum as far as I see it.

Luongo, if moved, would need to be traded for smallish pieces and prospects. He'll only be going to a competitive team that won't likely give up a major star.

Schneider, if moved, needs to bring back an all-star in return. Most of the teams bidding for his services don't seem to have a game breaker.

Alas, the third scenario is the Nucks only adding small pieces through deadline draft pick trades and waiting until the summer. This could feel like a very long 48 games if we stand pat.

Here is the conundrum as far as I see it.

Luongo, if moved, would need to be traded for smallish pieces and prospects. He'll only be going to a competitive team that won't likely give up a major star.

Schneider, if moved, needs to bring back an all-star in return. Most of the teams bidding for his services don't seem to have a game breaker.

Alas, the third scenario is the Nucks only adding small pieces through deadline draft pick trades and waiting until the summer. This could feel like a very long 48 games if we stand pat.

I actually see these deals as feasible. I can bet that when this thing actually goes down it will have a similar structure to one of the three you have posted. I'd prefer the 1st and 3rd deal out of the three. Also, we are trading for rookies because smart GM's don't plan for a single season. If we were to do that and get bounced in the first round we would kind of be screwed for the future now wouldn't we? I have no idea why everyone freaks out that we can add good young talent

Schneider to NYI for Streit, Neidereitter, and Nielson at the deadline.

Solves our need for a puck mover to get out powerplay going. A stud prospect for the future. And a third line center play maker that gives us three solid scoring lines.

My question was more how Weiss is, what appears to be far superior, to Schroeder when determining trade value. Weiss isn't exactly an allstar and at this point, for a guy wanting a raise he isn't playing like one. I would also do that trade. What I wouldn't do is the trade I referenced in my first post.

Another trade I would do to improve this team is

Luongo to Tampa Bay for Hedman. The stud dman this team needs and has needed for years. Then:

Ballard +Booth + Hansen + 1st to San Jose for Marleau + Clowe

San Jose needs a shake up, so do the Canucks. Lines are:

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Kassian Marleau Raymond

Higgins Schroeder Clowe

Weise Lappy pizz/volp

Edler Hedman

Hamhuis Bieksa

Garrison Tanev

I doubt Tampa trades any of their roster players right now they look like 2 or 3 pieces away from having the best team in their division. Well that isn't much since they are in the weakest division in the league it gets them in the playoffs and a chance at the cup.

• Kevin Allen via twitter: The Carolina Hurricanes could be making a trade for a veteran defenseman in the next couple days.

• Ben Kuzma of the Vancouver Province: The Canucks will be without center Ryan Kesler for four to six weeks. If the Canucks were to trade Roberto Luongo, it would get them at least a center and it would give Cory Schneider the comfort of knowing that even if he has a bad game, he’ll be back in there.

• Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal: Oilers defenseman Ryan Whitney is trying to stay positive while being a healthy scratch. Some scouts have wondered if the Oilers have diminished Whitney’s trade value by making him a healthy scratch. It doesn’t look like there is a market for Whitney at the moment.

• Tim Cowlishaw of the Dallas Morning News: Cowlishaw questions if the Stars trading for Erik Cole means it will be the end of Brenden Morrow, who’ll be a UFA at the end of the season. GM Joe Nieuwendy didn’t rule out more trades by the April 3rd deadline.

• Joe Haggerty of CSNNE: Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli is looking to add some depth on the wing. Someone with size, offensive ability and veteran experience. A left winger for the third line may be ideal, but also has the ability to move up if need be. Haggerty lists potential trade targets for the Bruins: Jarome Iginla – If they could get Iginla for a 1st round pick and a prospect, they should do it. Daniel Alfredsson – He’ll be a UFA at the end of the year, so he shouldn’t cost a roster player. If it would cost a roster player, they shouldn’t do it. Stephen Weiss – He’ll be a UFA at seasons end and is in the doghouse, so his price tag would be lower than Iginla’s and Alfredsson. Danny Briere – The cost shouldn’t be more than picks and prospects. The Bruins would have to fit his $6.5 million cap in though. Ruslan Fedotenko and Tyler Kennedy – Cost would be low round draft pick or ‘B’ level prospects.

• Kevin Allen via twitter: The Carolina Hurricanes could be making a trade for a veteran defenseman in the next couple days.

• Ben Kuzma of the Vancouver Province: The Canucks will be without center Ryan Kesler for four to six weeks. If the Canucks were to trade Roberto Luongo, it would get them at least a center and it would give Cory Schneider the comfort of knowing that even if he has a bad game, he’ll be back in there.

• Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal: Oilers defenseman Ryan Whitney is trying to stay positive while being a healthy scratch. Some scouts have wondered if the Oilers have diminished Whitney’s trade value by making him a healthy scratch. It doesn’t look like there is a market for Whitney at the moment.

• Tim Cowlishaw of the Dallas Morning News: Cowlishaw questions if the Stars trading for Erik Cole means it will be the end of Brenden Morrow, who’ll be a UFA at the end of the season. GM Joe Nieuwendy didn’t rule out more trades by the April 3rd deadline.

• Joe Haggerty of CSNNE: Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli is looking to add some depth on the wing. Someone with size, offensive ability and veteran experience. A left winger for the third line may be ideal, but also has the ability to move up if need be. Haggerty lists potential trade targets for the Bruins: Jarome Iginla – If they could get Iginla for a 1st round pick and a prospect, they should do it. Daniel Alfredsson – He’ll be a UFA at the end of the year, so he shouldn’t cost a roster player. If it would cost a roster player, they shouldn’t do it. Stephen Weiss – He’ll be a UFA at seasons end and is in the doghouse, so his price tag would be lower than Iginla’s and Alfredsson. Danny Briere – The cost shouldn’t be more than picks and prospects. The Bruins would have to fit his $6.5 million cap in though. Ruslan Fedotenko and Tyler Kennedy – Cost would be low round draft pick or ‘B’ level prospects.

You're right. Why would a team with a defense of Matt Carle, Sami Salo, Eric Brewer, Keith Aulie, Marc-Andre Bergeron & Brian Lee want to trade Hedman for an Allstar gold medal winning, top ten Goalie, to replace their #1 goalie with a 3.27 GAA & .890 save % or the top quality back up capabilities of Mathieu Garon with his 2.82 GAA & .914 Ave %. Silly me.

I mean. How many teams have ridden a quality goalie to the playoffs? They are better off with a good young dman and terrible goaltending. Goalies are fairly useless and pointless after all.

another laugher from the florida goaltending- Clemmensen was a pure joke, Miller was not far behind. Clemmensen should not be in the nhl.

What I do not get is the fact that these teams like TB, WSH, FLA would be far better and if they had Luongo, and a pick, a prospect and an ok top 6 forward does not hurt you all that much compared to what you get.

I have watched the highlights for almost every FLA game this year and I believe that if they had Luongo they would be heavy favorites for another division title. Their goaltending has been PUTRID. Just disgusting- how do players take Dale Tallon seriously when he pulls this stunt.

So what's the hold up?

I do not think it is Gillis' asking price, I think it is the $$$ WSH has 3 large contracts, OVI and Backstrom are signed until the end of time to money they are not worth.

FLA cannot even resign Weiss who had (previously) publicly stated that he wanted to stay in florida.

Still Luongo's contract is not that bad under the new CBA as Vancouver has to pay part of it if he retires 'early'

something fishy is going on- all this bad goaltending and here, schneider and Luongo are just sitting here...

With these injuries and deficiencies on our team, it sure would be a shame if Gillis pissed this season away with 2 starting goalies on the bench and neither able to get into a rhythm because they are alternating so much.

Check your self befo ya wrecks yaself Gillis. Or in the words of Kesler- give your (brazil nuts) a tug. Make that tugg (with 2 Gs)

another laugher from the florida goaltending- Clemmensen was a pure joke, Miller was not far behind. Clemmensen should not be in the nhl.

What I do not get is the fact that these teams like TB, WSH, FLA would be far better and if they had Luongo, and a pick, a prospect and an ok top 6 forward does not hurt you all that much compared to what you get.

I have watched the highlights for almost every FLA game this year and I believe that if they had Luongo they would be heavy favorites for another division title. Their goaltending has been PUTRID. Just disgusting- how do players take Dale Tallon seriously when he pulls this stunt.

So what's the hold up?

I do not think it is Gillis' asking price, I think it is the $$$ WSH has 3 large contracts, OVI and Backstrom are signed until the end of time to money they are not worth.

FLA cannot even resign Weiss who had (previously) publicly stated that he wanted to stay in florida.

Still Luongo's contract is not that bad under the new CBA as Vancouver has to pay part of it if he retires 'early'

something fishy is going on- all this bad goaltending and here, schneider and Luongo are just sitting here...

With these injuries and deficiencies on our team, it sure would be a shame if Gillis pissed this season away with 2 starting goalies on the bench and neither able to get into a rhythm because they are alternating so much.

Check your self befo ya wrecks yaself Gillis. Or in the words of Kesler- give your (brazil nuts) a tug. Make that tugg (with 2 Gs)

Archived