The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 6.0

I guess you don't read my posts. I have been a massive supporter of Booth and I believe it is rather premature to call him a bust as some posters have, while he doesn't have a passing center to play with. Kesler doesn't pass, Booth's game and anyone else's who plays on Kesler's line suffer.

Florida is not the gold mine it used to be. It has been depleted like a vast ocean fish reserve. Now that Tallon is there, it is being replenished but a good fisherman and environmentalist knows that if you fish the younger generation, the reserve continue to be depleted, even to the point of extinction. So unlike your sushi ready on a plate, you're not going to fish adolescents out of Florida, while Gillis won't take a cap dump. As far as picks go, that would be like fishing unhatched eggs. Same difference. Tallon won't budge.

No go.

i wish our GM could try to be more pro active maybe like Burke did, try to make your trades in advance to the deadline. You dont get all worked up on deadline and end up over paying or making a trade just to counter another teams move.

If MG decides to make any roster moves I would like to see him do it in the next 2 weeks or so, then if we improved our team it may put a bit more panic in a LA or SJ team to try and make an addition to their team and make them over pay

i wish our GM could try to be more pro active maybe like Burke did, try to make your trades in advance to the deadline. You dont get all worked up on deadline and end up over paying or making a trade just to counter another teams move.

If MG decides to make any roster moves I would like to see him do it in the next 2 weeks or so, then if we improved our team it may put a bit more panic in a LA or SJ team to try and make an addition to their team and make them over pay

In "Lieu" of the speculation that the Isles may want to move their UFAs...

Luo, Ballard, Ebbett

Nabokov, Streit, Brock Nelson, Cizikas, Pokka.

I don't buy the assumption that Luo wouldn't waive to go there. The Isles have 23 pts in 24 games, despite having given up 80 goals. They have a hell of a lot of young talent, particularly at C. They're a good team in the not distant future - they need to add a starter going forward, and manage to replace the veteran presence on their blueline - they could improve, just in time for their big building splash.

I think a deal at this point with them makes as much sense as any team.

Of course I'd prefer to pay more and bring Hamonic back in a deal, but they probably don't have the Rside balance moving forward to let a young top 4 like him go. I'd compromise and take the left handed, but right side playing Streit and risk losing him to free agency - if the Isles added the young centers to the deal. Brock Nelson is not negotiable imo.

Nabokov could be an ideal in the sense of giving us a quality rental backup who also then clears out and makes space for Lack.

I like Cizikas as a depth C - has that quality of hockey intelligence, hard work, and intangibles.

Salary balances out ok

Canucks move 10 million.

They bring back close to the same, but Nabokov clears 2.75 at season's end, Steit's 4.1 would be contingent, Nelson's 2.8 elc is bonus laden (and two-way), Cizikas is an affordable depth C with another year on elc at .9, and Pokka is a solid two way R handed d prospect.

Oh I read your posts - it's just that I notice to glaring inconsistencies.

If you're a huge Booth supporter, then your comments about Florida "crap" just come off as yet another dense contradiction...

And your simplistic, backtracking analogy regarding Florida isn't going to rescue that. Stories about fish and sushi don't lend you any credibility - they're like seaweed and scales substituted for smoke and mirrors.

Feel free to flush out your Ovechkin proposal. I'm in the mood for that one.

We'd have to make further adjustments to drop other contracts to be able to take on 5 new ones but only send 3 out. And I do think it's plausible Luongo wouldn't want to go back to Long Island.

EDIT: that was meant in reply to oldnews' last post, but the first part (plus some other points I might have) certainly still applies.

:blink:

We'd have to make further adjustments to drop other contracts to be able to take on 5 new ones but only send 3 out. And I do think it's plausible Luongo wouldn't want to go back to Long Island.

EDIT: that was meant in reply to oldnews' last post, but the first part (plus some other points I might have) certainly still applies.

How convenient for 101 - Luo would only be willing to go to Florida, and Florida aint interested.

More Schneider proposals please.

That last one was a step up - it had realism written all over it - oh yeah, and thanks for the random organ doctor information - definitely more relevant than fishermen and sushi.

For those fans; keep in school and chose wisely so you can have job security in a 9-5 job for the rest of your life; most likely at the government where tokenism is practiced in exchange for personal security. That way you're sure your heart won't explode by the time you're an adult. And most of all, stay out of business, the stock market, real estate, intellectual property acquisition/creation; not fo u.

Pokka is not a roster contract - we'd be acquiring his rights - he's playing in the Finnish Sm-liiga - he hasn't signed an elc yet as far as I can tell - and I'd make space for Nelson without thinking twice.

And as I said before, I'm not going to make assumptions about what Luongo would or would not do. The only real information to go on is his soft preference to go to Florida, and otherwise open statements that he'd do what's best for the team. Personally, I'd think New York would be a step up on some of the other speculated destinations.

Wow. That's terrible unsolicited advice 101.

I work in the health industry - (no, not the disease treatment industry) - the proactive, preventative health industry. Suggesting that people seek government jobs... awful health advice, job security notwithstanding. Government workers are some of the least healthy folks out there. If you think that's a field that's good for the heart, you may want to revisit the advice you've been taking and giving.

There are a few teams - but only a few - I think we can be a little safe about assuming what Luongo might do. And I'm not saying it's a for sure, but probability is the key. His history in Long Island might be a deterrent, much like the mismanagement in Columbus would prevent many players from accepting trades there. That might change, and Luongo is willing to go back to Florida due to his family despite his history there so I'd never say never if the Isles were willing to talk about a good return.

You may be right about Pokka though, knew the name was familiar but didn't go look it up. That might be enough and we usually do some clearing each offseason of contracts anyway, so moving a depth prospect to free up that space wouldn't be much of an issue.

The heart surely won't explode via stress... It might collapse due to inaction. Then again, inaction is stressful. I was thinking of the worst "security jobs" out there. I worked for the government way back then for about 9 months. I quit after I was stopped by two old women in a hallway who asked me why I was moving so fast; I was going to lunch.... I agree it is an unhealthy place. NOTHING HAPPENS. But that was my point. Job security. No stress life. It was a very sad place. Nothing moved, including people. I have actually seen hated people NOT get fired but promoted just to get them out of the office because once you're permanent there, it is virtually impossible to lose your job.

Health wise? Very bad. But job security (my enemy by the way), impeccable.

It might be time for Gillis to swallow his pride and just accept a cap dump.

If that's the only thing keeping a deal from getting done, then he's gotta just do it, and deal with that salary later. Either through a buyout or trade.

Archived