The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cam Barker: First Impressions?

Bananas

Edler gets beat on the outside after tripping and Columbus scores because Henrik backed off to the far side of the net and didn't play strong to cover Edler: a bunch of Edler threads calling him a useless piece of trash.

Barker gets walked around leaving the player with a semi-breakaway but they don't score: he hasn't really screwed up yet and is better than Edler.

I watched him closely a few games ago. Overall decent and good offensively, he has great vision and a good breakout pass. He is weak in his own zone. Has a hard time battling players infront of his net and has been following the puck instead of playing positional. (He is new and is probably rusty so i have to be easy on him)

I would rate him 7.5/10

You kids react like Edler's been shooting at his own net and playing with a rally helmet. He has not been anywhere close to as bad as the lemmings are squeaking about.

Barker looks exactly like a 6/7 dman who has only played three games... nervous in his own zone, conservative on offense. I've always liked his play (though I assumed his skating would improve over time) and I'm fine with how he's been doing. Realistically, however, he'll likely be back upstairs fairly soon. I hope the team gives him another (try-out) year as this season is just the wrong situation for him to really prove himself.

Tonight :

badly beaten first shift, Alberts with hit of the night saving Barker's butt, after that tho i thought Cam played good, he got beat a second time but not horribly and i have to say looks like our most dangerous offensive defensemen at this point.

so far and considering he had to jump in after watching 20 games in the press box , i'd say Barker is showing some promise.

He laid a solid hit on someone at our blueline tonight which i would like to see more of. If he plays a little physical, doesn't make any glaring mistakes he will be a great depth player.

good for the Canucks for taking him on and good for Cam for staying focused, sounds like the team is happy with the effort he has been putting in behind the scenes.

Powerplay ?

actually wouldnt mind seeing this either

Sedin-Sedin-Kassian

Barker-Garrison

Needs to work on his skating a bit, if the offensive forces him to turn he can get caught in no man's lad (I don't know if that's cause he's rusty or some other reason). For 700k/year he's pretty good.

The way he just gets his shots through to the net is an invaluable asset that we need to start using. Give him Schroeder's spot on the PP, as it is teams know Henrik and Schroeder aren't going to shoot, so they just cover Burr, Daniel and Edler and neutralize us (The roughly 30 seconds we spend behind our own net doesn't help either).

When we have Juice and Ballard (lol) back, I'd like to see the following for a week or so:

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Ballard - Tanev

Garrison - Barker

Not bad. Would love to keep him at 6/7 guy ahead of Alberts.

What I noticed:

Has a great ability in getting pucks through from the point (similar to Bieksa's little wrist show when he first established himself here)

Has good strength and uses the body.

Needs to work on his positioning and lateral movement (got beat on the sides a few times tonight).

Definitely not comfortable watching him play. If he could skate he'd be decent but his speed is really the thing that takes away from his game. He's been beaten to the outside four times already. He was completely lost game one but his positioning looks normal the last couple so I'm alright with him but he's definitely I want as a dman in the playoffs

I'd like to have the stat on how many shots on goal the guy has had. Most seem to find the net something the other defense men seem to be failing at. I think he's playing well, better than Alberts. The guy is calm with the puck and knows what to do.

So I guess AV will park his butt for another 20 games.

AV has no clue.

Archived