The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks Aggressively Pursuing Trade (Interested in Steve Ott & Derek Roy)

I m kinda lookin at this season as a year in which rash decisions should be avoided. With the lockout eating up so much of the year and the joke of a training camp at the beginning, it s hard to get any real sense of what we have. A guy like Garrison didn t really get a solid opportunity to find his stride with this team. The confusion in goal, I believe, may be more of a distraction than anyone is letting on.

I seriously believe that short term future should be addressed. Looking at players that r on the verge of making the NHL within the next season or two.

Ott would be nice, but thats what I said last year, and we should have up'ed the anti when Dallas was trying to unload him, instead we'll have to over pay to pry him from a team that likes what theyve got. Doubtfull that this one pans out.

Roy on the other hand might be had for a decent price, and he could be a nice depth scoring piece, but lacks physicality and is mediocre on the draw. Would be interesting to have a playmaking center with experience though, as it could help in using Kesler as a primary matchup against the oppositions best, and take some pressure off him to produce while in that checking role.

Id still prefer a guy like Dubinsky, if we're going all in here.

Interesting. Gllis is telegraphing his desperation, assuring that he will not get fair value after highballing Luongo's value all Summer long. Especially after reports that he could have had 80/90% of what he wanted.

Anyone else suspect he's about to get a taste of his own medicine?

Steve Ott - one of the most overvalued players on the market - and note he's been on the market a couple years running.

Neiuwendyk is a prudent guy - he was shopping this guy for a number of reasons imo.

Relative corsi -22.7 - the worst on the horrible Buffalo Sabres.

His offensive zone finishes are 1.1% higher than his dzone starts.

3 goals - nothing to suggest that would be the kind of secondary scoring the Canucks need.

His defensive play - uninspiring - and no, hitting people is not a substitute - we have guys that can hit at appropriate cap hits.

Talk of a Schneider for an Ott centerpiece deal truly turns the stomach.

Buffalo can keep him. I can't think of a single realistic option that I'd entertain for this guy.

We have 3 centres (plus Ebbett)! Both of you are a bit polarized.

People are fixated on a replacement for Manny, and some are calling for a two way centre when they want a defensive stud. Well you can win a game by scoring more OR by letting the opponent score less; it depends on who we get. Dont forget MG blew it last year thinking he replaced Manny with Pahlson and traded for a big winger that wasnt ready for the big leagues yet. Rather than money ball, I just wish for a dynamic player. If the guy is defensive we gear up that way, if he's an offensive force the coach adjusts his game plan?

But make the best deal available regardless of style.

Note to that cause; Lapierre was a more than adequate replacement for Manny in our cup run! He is absolutely fine as a defensive guy. I personally see an offensive rental like Ribiero as having the most chance of bringing up the calibre of play of more guys. Then someone like Ott who is extremely physical.

Trade Deadline predictions

In: Ott, Bjugstad, Theodore and Fleishmann

Out: Booth and Luongo

Daniel Sedin-Henrik Sedin-Zack Kassian

Alex Burrows-Tomas Fleishmann-Ryan Kesler

Chris Higgins-Steve Ott-Jannick Hansen

Mason Raymond-Maxim Lapierre-Dale Weise

Sestito, Pinizotto

Dan Hamhius-Kevin Bieksa

Alex Edler-Jason Garrison

Keith Ballard-Chris Tanev

Schneider

Theodore

THIS IS OUR YEAR!!!

Lappy doesn't replace Manny for a # of reasons, not as good on faceoffs or defensively, and he is right handed.

We need a center, this is how I see our center depth, with what calibre of player they are.

Henrik: 1st

Kesler: 1st

Lappierre: 4th

Ebbet: Depth

Schroeder: Offensive Depth

Riberio might not be bad, but I would want him as a Winger on Kesler's line, which would leave us in need of a center for the third line.

And if we want Ott, it will start with a 1st, then we will have to add. There will have to be an overpayment cause Buffalo doesn't have interest in moving him, and the price tag would make no sense for us.

I would look at someone along the lines of Mattias, Goc or Bozak. Any of them would be great fits IMO.

Not sure if this roster will be cap friendly but here it is

In: Gaborik (if the Rangers fall out of the playoff race/retain some of Gaby's cap hit), Jagr, Roy, Fistric

Out: Luongo, Booth, Ballard, Sauve, picks

Sedin - Sedin - Gaborik

Burrows - Kesler - Jagr

Raymond - Roy - Hansen

Higgins - Lapierre - Kassian

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - Garrison

Fistric - Tanev

Schneider

Three way trade with Vancouver, New York and someone else?

Not sure if this roster will be cap friendly but here it is

In: Gaborik (if the Rangers fall out of the playoff race/retain some of Gaby's cap hit), Jagr, Roy, Fistric

Out: Luongo, Booth, Ballard, Sauve, picks

Sedin - Sedin - Gaborik

Burrows - Kesler - Jagr

Raymond - Roy - Hansen

Higgins - Lapierre - Kassian

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - Garrison

Fistric - Tanev

Schneider

Three way trade with Vancouver, New York and someone else?

Archived