The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

26 minutes ago, taxi said:

It is very sad. I remember watching his bigger by the day, where he used steroids/GH to put on about 50lbs in 2 months...it was pretty terrifying to watch. He slimmed down later, but that could not have been good for him.

Reports are stating that his death may have had nothing to do with steroids though, and he died of a drug overdose. Apparently paramedics found crushed white powder and then used an anti-opiate to revive him. So it could have been cocaine laced with Fentanyl. I'm sure all the steroids/GH he took didn't do wonders for his heart though. 

Amazing how many people continue to state that steroids aren't bad for you, but then every wrestler/body builder seems to drop dead around the age of 50.

Clearly they are. One guy at the gym I know of does it (don't know why; he should be training a lot harder than he does to get the benefits of it) and his back looks like a WW1 western front battle field - all torn up. 

Hella nasty.

I never realized how rampant steroid use was. Was at a friends bbq and somehow the topic of working out came up while we were having beers.

3 of the guys average chubby/stalky 

looking guys were going on about how they take oral steroids and how awesome their results were. I honestly wouldnt have guessed they were using. Kind of disappointing actually to think of it. 

As for Rich Piana, seemed like a genuine guy with image issues and clearly he's not the only one. Apparently another bodybuilder passed thid week Dallas Mcarver (not sure who he is or how he died).  

As for Rich Piana, seemed like a genuine guy with image issues and clearly he's not the only one. Apparently another bodybuilder passed thid week Dallas Mcarver (not sure who he is or how he died).  

Another body Builder passed away a few days ago, but apparently choking on food?

only 26 years.

R.I.P. 

I Never really followed Rich because he was on steroids.  But a very motivational guy, with strong messages.  Will be missed among the fitness community.

Edited by MoneypuckOverlord

18 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

anyone here use weight gainers?  need opinion on it, when it comes to the abs.  Is it harder for me to get a defined abs while on weight gainers?

Yeah, the higher your body fat the harder it is to have visible abs- and your body fat is likely to increase if you're on a weight gainer. Some guys can have some visible abs with slightly elevated BF due to deep definition in their abs and/or good genetics but they're few and far between. 

What type of weight gainer are you using ?

1 minute ago, Sean Monahan said:

Yeah, the higher your body fat the harder it is to have visible abs- and your body fat is likely to increase if you're on a weight gainer. Some guys can have some visible abs with slightly elevated BF due to deep definition in their abs and/or good genetics but they're few and far between. 

What type of weight gainer are you using ?

thank you for your response.

Yea I do notice when I was on it, I did get bigger, but my gut also got "bigger" lol  as in beer belly bigger

trying this one for now

http://pharmafreak.com/products/proteins-gainers/mass-freak/#1466142158867-b9b0c1c3-0c1d

probably won't be on it for very long.

6 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

thank you for your response.

Yea I do notice when I was on it, I did get bigger, but my gut also got "bigger" lol  as in beer belly bigger

trying this one for now

http://pharmafreak.com/products/proteins-gainers/mass-freak/#1466142158867-b9b0c1c3-0c1d

probably won't be on it for very long.

I wouldn't bother with store-bought gainers to be honest. They're very expensive per serving and they're mostly just loaded with sugar. 

I made a homemade gainer when I was still

playing baseball and trying to put on some significant size over the course of a summer after being injured and out of the game/gym for the past year. IIRC it was a combination of protein powder (I used a blend protein), oats, peanut butter, milk (2%), honey, and a banana. You can still get all the calories of a weight gainer you'd get in stores but it's substantially cheaper and you can adjust the macros to suit you better. I'd often throw in cinnamon too, helps with the taste and insulin sensitivity too when you eat it regularly. Insulin sensitivity is key when you're trying to gain weight and not get fat.

Edited by Sean Monahan
  • Upvote 2

My co-workers and I are doing the Base 2 Space event at the Space Needle October 1st to support Cancer Research at Fred Hutch.  

Any tips on how I should train for this, and what I should eat? 

I have been doing the stairs, and average 31-38 flights per day, about 341-418 steps depending on the flights I do.  I have been doing these flights throughout  the day, 12 flights each session / 3 sessions per day.  I plan on upping my sessions each week.  The Space Needle has 832 steps/ 98 flights.  I've done similar things like the Grouse Grind a few times, once as part of the Challenge, and that was some toughness with some breaks. 

Edited by brilac
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

anyone here use weight gainers?  need opinion on it, when it comes to the abs.  Is it harder for me to get a defined abs while on weight gainers?

It's not bad as a quick meal replacement.  Usually their nutritional content are pretty good... just sugar is high too... which is kinda the purpose.  

But they are pricey compared to just regular protein shakes.  

Better to gain weight by just simply eating more meat, cottage cheese or something.  

13 hours ago, brilac said:

My co-workers and I are doing the Base 2 Space event at the Space Needle October 1st to support Cancer Research at Fred Hutch.  

I have been doing the stairs, and average 31-38 flights per day, about 341-418 steps depending on the flights I do.  I have been doing these flights throughout  the day, 12 flights each session / 3 sessions per day.  I plan on upping my sessions each week.  The Space Needle has 832 steps/ 98 flights.  I've done similar things like the Grouse Grind a few times, once as part of the Challenge, and that was some toughness with some breaks. 

Jump up stairs two feet at a time.

any runners workout plan will help.

leg strength is obviously your friend.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, brilac said:

youtube nate bower 20 minute boxing video workout.  That will blast your lungs and help with what you want to do.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, brilac said:

Sounds like you're doing just fine with the regimen you already have.  (Is there an elevator?  That might be the quickest way to the top? :shock:)

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Sounds like you're doing just fine with the regimen you already have.  (Is there an elevator?  That might be the quickest way to the top? :shock:)

Hahaha, and ha! Yes I think there's 2, but the stairs seem so much more fun!  I did 38 flights overall today.  Next week my goal is 50 flights per day + what @riffraff and @MoneypuckOverlord recommended.

Thanks all!

• Upvote 1

On 8/29/2017 at 7:43 PM, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Stop the weight gainers and just eat more actual food. Most are loaded with empty calories and TONS of sugar that will do more harm than good in regards to gains. 

• Upvote 4