The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

Good on you guys for keeping on.  I stopped working out a year ago and have lost all motivation/drive.  The amount of physical work that I do Mon-Fri is not enough to keep me in shape anymore :( 

Just remember that if you keep doing minimum, pretty soon your minimum will become your maximum. 

6 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

I agree. It's not true Tabata. I'd say I go max effort for the first 8-12 seconds and then definitely slow down.

The one time I think I came close to true Tabata was quad extension machine. I had DOMS for like 6 days in my quads lol. 

Lol that would be brutal. I can only imagine the DOMS. 

I’d venture to say that the vast majority of the general population doesn’t have the mental fortitude to follow the true tabata protocol. It’s just brutally hard. But even doing it the way you’ve said is hard as hell and still quite effective. 

10 hours ago, riffraff said:

Sleep is tough as after my classes I’m all keyed up and my mind is going.  Reminds me of being wired after hockey games.

Try training early in the morning before work and see if it makes a difference. I’m usually snoozing by 10pm on days I train at 6am.

On 9/26/2019 at 1:34 PM, Monty said:

Not sure how natural, but I’ve found this has worked wonders since I started using it a few weeks ago.

29D2F24A-C4E2-4A8A-AC9E-F577691CCB34.jpeg

Started using this a few months ago and loved it! Easy to digest, great tasting flavours, and not too pricey. 

• Upvote 1

On 9/26/2019 at 1:28 PM, riffraff said:

Anyone recommend a good “recovery” or “post workout” supplement?

as natural as possible would be great.

thanks.

Image result for pec nectar

I am the lightest I've been in 5 years now.  Cut down on the rice i eat with my chicken and took out bread and stopped my Saturday cheat days.  

1 hour ago, Tre Mac said:
Image result for pec nectar

I am the lightest I've been in 5 years now.  Cut down on the rice i eat with my chicken and took out bread and stopped my Saturday cheat days.  

Good on you Tre.

bread is a tough one to quit because it is so damn good what with all that honey in it and lathered in butter or toasted cheese or bacon.  You are a stronger man than me sir.::D

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, riffraff said:

Good on you Tre.

bread is a tough one to quit because it is so damn good what with all that honey in it and lathered in butter or toasted cheese or bacon.  You are a stronger man than me sir.::D

Yeah, I don’t see myself cutting out bread. Love almond butter and honey sandwiches.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Monty said:

Yeah, I don’t see myself cutting out bread. Love almond butter and honey sandwiches.

I haven't bought a loaf of bread in months.

Last type of bread I bought was flat bread for wraps. That's been months too I think.

I do miss toast with peanut butter and raspberry jam. When I do buy bread again it will be for this favourite of mine.

Decided easiest way to cut back on carbs was cutting bread. I just never went back. I will one day for a short time.

1 minute ago, Sean Monahan said:

This 

And this 

Are gonna be tough to do simultaneously. 

Yeah that's why in the back of my mind I feel like I should keep trying to build my strength till the new year. Cutting before the summer then would be harder though and I'd want to be around 225 by then and ill only have 6 months to lose roughly 50 pounds if I want to reach that goal which would be a really rough 6 months.

Tough decisions.

I have a pretty long and wide frame. 6'7.5'' wingspan at 6'3''. A little chubby right now but my strength has gone up a lot the past 4-5 months as has my weight.

1 hour ago, Monty said:

Have now done 3 gymnastics classes. While it’s only been 3 weeks, I’ve noticed a huge change in my flexibility and what I can now do in regards to gymnastics since the first class.

That's great!  I find gymnastics interesting.  I've been doing hot yoga for 3 weeks now, as well as hot pilates.  Boy those hot pilates classes are tough!  And I've noticed a change.

• Cheers 1

59 minutes ago, brilac said:

That's great!  I find gymnastics interesting.  I've been doing hot yoga for 3 weeks now, as well as hot pilates.  Boy those hot pilates classes are tough!  And I've noticed a change.

5-6 years ago I tried hot yoga. Wasn’t for me at the time. Mostly because I was really out of shape. If I tried now, I know I’d be able to handle it. 

Finding gymnastics a ton of fun. The other adults I’m in the class with are mostly in their mid/late 30s as well. So we are all developing at roughly the same rate. A few of the women starting a year ago, but the rest of us just started. And we’ve all grown close really quickly. It’s nice to be apart of a supportive exercise group.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Yeah that's why in the back of my mind I feel like I should keep trying to build my strength till the new year. Cutting before the summer then would be harder though and I'd want to be around 225 by then and ill only have 6 months to lose roughly 50 pounds if I want to reach that goal which would be a really rough 6 months.

Tough decisions.

I have a pretty long and wide frame. 6'7.5'' wingspan at 6'3''. A little chubby right now but my strength has gone up a lot the past 4-5 months as has my weight.

I guess it depends which goal you want to priority? Kinda tough to serve two masters at once. Personally I’d gravitate towards the weight loss and leanness over the strength gains unless you’re doing something that requires the strength (sports, powerlifting, whatever).

19 hours ago, Monty said:

Only time I eat bread is with my almond butter and honey sandwiches.  But I add cinnamon and a half banana to mine.  Quite a treat. 

• Upvote 1

On 10/2/2019 at 4:45 PM, riffraff said:

Good on you Tre.

On 10/3/2019 at 6:54 AM, Monty said:

On 10/3/2019 at 8:22 AM, Shift-4 said:

I haven't bought a loaf of bread in months.

Last type of bread I bought was flat bread for wraps. That's been months too I think.

I do miss toast with peanut butter and raspberry jam. When I do buy bread again it will be for this favourite of mine.

Decided easiest way to cut back on carbs was cutting bread. I just never went back. I will one day for a short time.

I replaced it with yogurt, I used to eat two pieces of toast with strawberry jam on my way to work.  I noticed a difference after 3 days tbh.  My scale's batteries just died, I guess that's what happens when you weigh yourself 4 times a day like I was doing lol.  

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, brilac said:

I've been doing my workouts in the sauna and that includes some pilates - tbh I stole some of those exercises from a video game.  I'd say 3 years ago I couldn't touch my toes now I can touch the ground with ease.  My core strength has improved vastly and I have zero back issues now.  

Edit: And here's the game I stole this from lol

Image result for mlb the show 18 pilates

Whatever this is called I do.  

Edited by Tre Mac
  • Upvote 2

On 10/3/2019 at 5:17 PM, Junkyard Dog said:

270 trying to cut down now. Hopefully get to 240-250 by the new year. Should probably start to incorporate cardio.

Bench 225 to 4-6 hoping to eventually get that to 10.

5 days on 2 off.

Seems doable, you’d still be pushing less than your body weight. 

More mind over matter at that point imo.