The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

12pm Press Conference on Thursday

kirkmclean1994

Maybe they are announcing a golf tourney?

182339_10152830663645525_1415349618_n.jpg

Yes - my friends splattered that on my fb, it's okay, I can take the lumps...I just replied that it should be a broom as all the tee times were all booked up by the Alberta teams a long time ago!

Players need to self-motivate to a larege degree, for sure. However, if they no longer belive what they are being coached to do is effective or will lead to success, it is darn hard to get motiveated adn to execute well.

The Nucks play like a team who no longer belives in what the coach is asking of them. That tends to lead to lacklustre play, poor energy levels, inconsistent play and frustration...all of which we saw from the Nucks since last year.

Thsi team may still have some core pieces to make anothe push but they need a major cahnge in teh direction of their game plan. THat requires a new coach who will give every player a fresh start and a chance to earn a spot that makes them the most effective.

MG has some major clean up to deal with this summer.

1-get a new voice(s) behind the bench

2-deal with goalie situation once and for all

3-deal with underachieving players (Booth, Ballard, Raymond, Edler,)

4-make some Brian Burke magic at the draft and somehow get us a top five pick-dangle Edler as bait

5-Make sure coach in the minors properly develops prospects

6-grow some balls and tell the Sedins to consider waiving NMC for future help

7-Win back the fans with some real attractive ticket packages and offers

Well from what I've heard of AV, he doesn't really ever say anything to his players, at all. Sure he can only do so much, but when they're not getting leadership from their captains, sometimes the coach does need to step in and get the guys fired up.

I would agree he failed in the offseason to make the right moves, but it wasn't through lack of effort. He tried signing Doan, and came pretty close from the sounds of it. Tried to work out an offer sheet with Weber to get him out of Nashville, but obviously he took the big contract. Tried to get Schultz, tried to get Clowe.

Getting any one of those players would have had a big impact on our team, but ultimately they chose other teams for different reasons. I don't think you can blame Gillis for it though. He was aggressively trying to upgrade our team, but the moves just weren't there. Sometimes it's like that when you're competing with 20 other teams.

If he has another summer of no results, then he should definitely be on the hot seat. But one bad summer shouldn't seal his fate. This summer will bring a whole new set of possibilities for him. And I'm excited to see what he can do.

I am sure nothing significant will be said because nothing significant has likely been decided.

Other GM's would can AV right away without delay to send a message that there is no debate that losing this way two years in a row will not be tolerated. Of course Gillis will be "patient", which is actually just a convenient guise for being too scared to make the bold move.

Why do people wonder why the players and coaches don't really give a frack? It is because they have a GM telling them it is not their fault and never holding them accountable. Then they have a coach who does the same thing.

This entire team needs a swift kick in the ego.

If they let AV go, I would LOVE if they hired Pat Quinn. He deserves another chance as the coach of this franchise. He brought this team to the closest point they've had of winning the cup, and he's a former player. Tough as nails, but doesn't put his players under the bus. He knows what it takes to win.

I think if they are going to fire AV (which they will) it will be sooner than later. As much as we harp on AV, it's be unclassy to leave him twisting in the wind after all he's done for this team. It should be done swiftly with respect.

Unfortunately this is what I think too. There will be excuses about officiating, BS about the effort level being good, apparent injuries to all key personnel rendering them ineffective, and a vote of confidence in the job the coaching staff did under such trying circumstances. Then there will be promises to make a few changes but to stay the course as the "plan" is something he still sees as the right path to the cup.

What I do not want to see again is AV being whisked off into hiding until the Gillis spin machine can create a scenario that puts him in the best possible light so he can return next season. Any coach who does not talk to the media after a loss like this one (as AV did last year) is not fit to be an NHL coach. That is just being a coward.

Archived