The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

All We are Saying...Is Give Booth a Chance

Angry Goose

The analytics are well and good but sometimes you just gotta take your eyes off the page and look at the game itself and see what's happening on the ice. His tenure here at best has shown he is a 4+ million dollar time killer. I want that out of my 800k 4th line plug, I want my 4th liner to not cost me goals and spend more time in the attacking zone than in my own zone and to chew up clock, till my talent is ready to go again but I want my 2nd line winger to spend time there and turn it into points...what do you call a 2nd liner who doesn't put up points?...a cap burden. If the analytics bore out a different result then you'd have gms who would be interested in taking him off the teams hands, how many suitors are there? and there you have the true story behind the analytics. We are stuck with Booth so we have no choice but to give him a chance but lets not try to make him out to be more than he is, at least right now.

There is a stat for turnovers. It's on the NHL stats page under "real time stats"; "GvA".

A quick perusal shows that Booth, in 12 games last season had zero of them. While it's true that he had only one goal in that time, simple math tells me that he had infinitely more goals than turnovers last season.

It's also worth noting that he had 24 hits in those 12 games.

The previous season was not as pronounced: 56 GP; 16 goals; 25 GvA; 39 TkA; 69 hits.

Still, I don't think you've "exposed" anything but maybe a personal bias, and a lack of understanding.

Booth hasn't had a healthy season with the Canucks. Last season's ankle injury was a freak incident. It had nothing to do with being injury prone. Nor did the knee on knee hit that he took from Kevin Porter the year before. He has played in roughly 50% of the games since he's been a Canuck.

People are so quick to blame the lack of a significant chance for people like Ballard or Kassian, yet someone like Booth who has a legitimate excuse for not being at the top of his game, is a "bum" who should be kicked to the curb, ASAP :rolleyes:

$4.5 million for a possible 30 point player is a lot of money.

His injury history is not good.

He's been in decline since his multiple concussions.

He's on a second line where other players tend to shoot, not dish the puck to him.

Might be a nice guy, but I don't think he fits our club. That's why Florida let him go for so little.

Some think hes only good for 30 points, some (myself included) say hes good for 30 goals. Last season, stats wise he was awful but I thought when he did play he was out there doing something. His shooting and finishing was dissapointing but hes a guy who can drive the net and lay the body, something our top 6 is in need of. I think playing with a great player like kes for a whole 82 game season would work wonders for our tea,.

So what you're saying is that your powers of observation and analysis are so expert, that they trump statistics, is that about right?

And I suppose you have no preconceived bias in this situation either, correct?

Hey CDC, just wanted to say thanks for keeping me entertained for so long. I don't read books for fun I read CDC :P and like many CDC-ers I have quickly learned to filter through the petty remarks and focus on the great anylists and well thought posts fans have to offer. I haven't signed on since GMMG traded one of my favourite players in Cody Hodgson (Yeah im a CoHo fan flame away lol) but after he traded away another one of my favs in Cory Schneider I realized not to get attached to good players while the team is under the reigns of Gillis. Concerning (Hobbits)David Booth : As many have already stated Experienced NHL power forwards are a valubal commodity and hard to come by, and I whole heartitly agree. IMO of Boothy he is an exciting player to watch and has the net drive that much of the team lacks. For those concerened about his recent stats, any hockey player knows that you can go and play your same game every night and end up with different results (Einsteins def. of insanity). In Davids case I believe that his constantly being put with different linemates under A.V. had a lot to do with his lack of production. Chemistry trumphs skill, toughness, and many other intangibles that make a hockey player who he is on the ice. For those of you concerened with his cap hit, I agree his hit is pretty steep with a declining cap. But does the cap not raise back to the current level after one year and continue to climb in the years after? and looking at what free agents went for this year he just may be a bargain of a second liner. In conclusion, the Cards are in Booths hand and if he returns to his game that made him successful in florida he may become invalubal to the team. but he definetly deserves up until the trade deadline to show us what hes still got left in the tank. IMHO if his value is high at the deadline, move him asap since Jensen is ready to take the LW on the 2nd Line. That's just My OP though and many don't want to wait for rookies to prove themselves with a closing window on our core. Sincerely: Killer Orca :P

lmao nope, but the experts not going out of their way to pick up the analytic marvel that is David Booth speaks pretty loudly doesn't it. If the experts don't want him and the team would give him away for literally nothing then how much of an expert do I need to be? He is overpaid for what he delivers, fact. and that is the only fact that matters in the modern nhl. Speaking the truth is bias now? what are you David Booths agent or mom? if he performs I'll be cheering him on, as is I'm cheering him on but I can still say for what he is paid, he needs to translate offensive zone time into pts or he'll continue to be a cap burden. You can't have players making 4.5mill not putting up points and expect to be challenging for cups.

lmao nope, but the experts not going out of their way to pick up the analytic marvel that is David Booth speaks pretty loudly doesn't it. If the experts don't want him and the team would give him away for literally nothing then how much of an expert do I need to be? He is overpaid for what he delivers, fact. and that is the only fact that matters in the modern nhl. Speaking the truth is bias now? what are you David Booths agent or mom? if he performs I'll be cheering him on, as is I'm cheering him on but I can still say for what he is paid, he needs to translate offensive zone time into pts or he'll continue to be a cap burden. You can't have players making 4.5mill not putting up points and expect to be challenging for cups.

Which "experts" would those be? Are you referring to other NHL GMs who haven't traded for a player because he is injured? That's a pretty poor leap of logic. In fact, I wouldn't even call it a leap. It's more of a bunny hop and a backwards one at that.

You were presented with hard statistics that showed your opinion to be at odds with fact and you went with the old hackneyed "I don't need to look at stats, I watch the game" routine. When you get called on that, you resort to the strawman, "Nobody has traded for him, so I must be right" argument.

The bolded part of your post is telling as well. I love how you hedge your bets. Roughly translated, it says "If Booth plays well, I'll be his biggest fan, but until he does so, he's a useless bum".

Archived