The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Canucks coach talk. Keep all talk here.

MJDDawg

Anyone who wants Tortorella clearly hasn't been following the Rangers very closely.

If we wanna play the same boring inneffective dump and chase game that AV employed, then we should go with him.

This team doesn't have the muscle along the boards to play that game though. We need a coach that is creative, and likes his players to create things off the rush.

The Sedins are passers, not grinders. As soon as they start playing along the boards, it's over for them. They get outmuscled too easily, and everyone knows exactly where the puck is gonna go. Bottom line is, they need to be more unpredictable. Think about how differently the Sedins played in 09/10, and how much more effective that was. That's what they need.

Kesler is another player that needs to be making plays on the fly. Getting him a passer that can get him the puck for one timers is what he needs.

This team needs a coach that preaches a fast transition game, with lots of shooting. Tortorella isn't that guy.

By virtue of living in Pennsylvania, I get to see a lot of Rangers games, and your assessment is bang on.

Torts' "systems" and the Canucks players DO NOT MESH. Torts relies too heavily on the goalie keeping his team in the game, which is fine at times, but it CANNOT be the only game plan a coach has if he is going to be successful. Also, Torts teams are known for being low scoring DESPITE having all star caliber players like Gaborik and Richards. In addition, when his team most needs said players to produce, he has an uncanny ability to piss them off and alienate them (at least in NY anyway). Sure sounds like someone I want in the same room as Kesler, Bieksa, and the Sedins.

Instead, the Canucks need a coach who can get them back to playing the game like they did from 2009-2011 (this includes the first half of the 2011/12 season as the Sedins were looking like 100pt players up until the calendar changed to 2012) where there was a fast transition from defense to offense, creativity and scoring on the rush, and wicked good special teams.

why do i feel that Gillis is going to take too long with this coaching thing and by the time he decided he want that coach it's going to be picked up by another team? look at eakin.. Edmonton wanted him before other team snatches him so they fired their coach and hired him the next day lol.. Ruff will prolly end up in NYR and Torts maybe in dallas.. then we'll e left with the tier 2 coaches like boucher and stevens.. not saying they ain't good coaches.. but i don't think it'll work with a veteran group.. and they really have no success in the NHL to back up their coaching pedigree

Anyone who wants Tortorella clearly hasn't been following the Rangers very closely.

If we wanna play the same boring inneffective dump and chase game that AV employed, then we should go with him.

This team doesn't have the muscle along the boards to play that game though. We need a coach that is creative, and likes his players to create things off the rush.

The Sedins are passers, not grinders. As soon as they start playing along the boards, it's over for them. They get outmuscled too easily, and everyone knows exactly where the puck is gonna go. Bottom line is, they need to be more unpredictable. Think about how differently the Sedins played in 09/10, and how much more effective that was. That's what they need.

Kesler is another player that needs to be making plays on the fly. Getting him a passer that can get him the puck for one timers is what he needs.

This team needs a coach that preaches a fast transition game, with lots of shooting. Tortorella isn't that guy.

The Sedins are two of the best board players in the league. They are very well known for having the best cycle game along the boards in the league for a lot of years.

Just recently they went away from that and started playing a more open style.

But the Sedins can definitely play along the boards better than even the best grinders.

The Sedins are two of the best board players in the league. They are very well known for having the best cycle game along the boards in the league for a lot of years.

Just recently they went away from that and started playing a more open style.

But the Sedins can definitely play along the boards better than even the best grinders.

They know how to cycle for sure. That involves keeping the puck constantly moving though.

Grinding involves tying up the puck and muscling it out to an open player. They were not successful at that this year in the slightest. They're spending more time down on the ice from getting checked from behind then they were on their feet.

The Sedins passing has become too predictable when they play along the boards. Teams have figured them out. They need to be more unpredictable and be creative. This season and last season they seemed to just revert to the same style every time, and it was less effective.

The Sedins are at their best when they're constantly moving their feet and the puck. This season especially, they were standing around too much and getting out-battled along the boards.

It's so funny how so many have turned on MG

We use to praise him for his methodical approach and now, that's his short coming.

I would still prefer a GM who is slow to make a deal over one who is irrational.

Ideally, finding a GM that makes deal quickly and intelligently would be preferable, but that is like finding 1 in a million.

This^

As much as I'd love to see a portion of CDC collectively crap their socks after a Torts hiring, more of the same is not in order.

"This team needs a coach that preaches a fast transition game, with lots of shooting"

Someone needs to tell the Twins they don't count passes as goals.

They know how to cycle for sure. That involves keeping the puck constantly moving though.

Grinding involves tying up the puck and muscling it out to an open player. They were not successful at that this year in the slightest. They're spending more time down on the ice from getting checked from behind then they were on their feet.

The Sedins passing has become too predictable when they play along the boards. Teams have figured them out. They need to be more unpredictable and be creative. This season and last season they seemed to just revert to the same style every time, and it was less effective.

The Sedins are at their best when they're constantly moving their feet and the puck. This season especially, they were standing around too much and getting out-battled along the boards.

I thought the puck possession game suffered because of the poor FO performances by the centers. It took a lot of options away from the Twins when they had to fight to regain possession. Their offence doesn't come totally from their cycle game. They actually did pretty well on the rush 2 years ago when their transition game was working. Very noticeable how well the teams offence picked up after Kesler came back.

I thought the puck possession game suffered because of the poor FO performances by the centers. It took a lot of options away from the Twins when they had to fight to regain possession. Their offence doesn't come totally from their cycle game. They actually did pretty well on the rush 2 years ago when their transition game was working. Very noticeable how well the teams offence picked up after Kesler came back.

I agree. Is it a wonder that the Sedins Art Ross seasons came while the Canucks were a top-5 faceoff team? I think not. The fact that Henrik is a PPG player when faceoff performance is sub-par is pretty spetacular. If Henrik's faceoffs improve to 53%ish, I think he can challenge the 100pt barrier again.

I think the Sedins are equally good on the rush as they are on the cycle. Sadly, the Sedins play off the rush disappeared when the calender turned to 2012 and hasn't returned yet except in flashes. I think a large part of why this happened is AV having the forwards play deeper in their defensive zone, making the transition from defense to offense much harder because the Sedins rely mostly on being in good position to transition since they are not particularly fast. I think the other reason that the transition play disappeared is because teams focused on taking away the stretch pass after the Sedins put on a clinic of how to run a transition game for 2 and a half seasons.

I think the other reason that the transition play disappeared is because teams focused on taking away the stretch pass after the Sedins put on a clinic of how to run a transition game for 2 and a half seasons.

I saw Letang perform lots of stretch passes to the Penguins forwards.Every team tries to intercept a stretch pass and only a few ,gifted d men can execute on the tape from any distance.

Gillis needs to sign a d man with the skill set to perform such an act since he let a couple of them go,already.

As MG said this is what the NHL is now and he has to adapt his personnel to play this way, based on that I guess we should go with Torts.

He is an interesting option and as has been said before he may indeed be a good fit but likely not long term.

Archived